Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Tour de Cure

Tour de Cure

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone done the Tour de Cure in Indianapolis?

I haven't, but I know a few people who have. What do you want to know about it?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I haven't, but I know a few people who have. What do you want to know about it?
    I am considering it as my very first goal this summer - I understand that there are various options outside of the century ride at the track. I guess that, as a cycling novice, I am just curious to hear other people's experience of the event. I like that it is a fund-raiser for diabetes research, and from the description it doesn't sound like something that would be overly ambitious for a beginner. Now the Hilly Hundred, that just might be - but that isn't until October

I live 2.5 miles from the track, it seems a shame not to participate
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-17-2010 at 05:59 PM.

From their website, it looks like there are three ride options, a full century, a 50k, and 75k. If you don't feel up to the century, the 50 and 75k are very doable goals. You have more than enough time to build up to those mileages. As you know, most of central Indiana is flat, so while I suppose they could route you over the fews hills that do exist over by Eagle Creek, but they're not bad at all.

You might do a search for Tour de Cure on TE. I vaguely remember another member doing the ride last year, but I can't remember her name. I bet if you PMed her, she could give you some information as to well organized it is.

I'll be honest that while I think it's a great cause, I've never had any desire to do the ride because the century option around the track is SO unappealing to me. I wish they'd offer something else. If you do decide to do the ride, please PM me; I'd be happy to make a pledge.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I am hoping that in June I can start focusing on what hills I can find - the Hilly Hundred in October is attractive.

I will PM you if I do decide to do the Tour de Cure - though I am pretty sure that I will do it. As you said, the mileages are doable even for a beginner. I will search the forum to see who else may have participated in the past.

Catrin,

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Indy's cycling community, but I would encourage you to look into CIBA--the Central Indiana Bicycle Association--if you haven't already. The group offers rides almost every Saturday and Sunday from March until November. All skills levels are welcome and represented. It's a great way to meet new people, to become more familiar with places to ride in and around the city, and to challenge yourself. All weekend rides are marked and supported and typically offer short, medium and long ride lengths. Just bring your bike and gear. You don't have to be a member to ride with the group.

I'll admit that it can be a little intimidating to show up at a big group ride, but just introduce yourself to the ride leaders and tell them that you're new. They'll find a mentor for your first ride. Since the routes are marked, you can ride at your own pace.

PM me if you have any questions.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Hey, I did the Tour de Cure last year in Indy. It was my first event ride ever and I had so much fun. Lots of people to talk to and get to know. My friend Donna did it with me, it was her first ride also. Actually she hadn't even really built up any base miles only a few 5 mile rides with her kids before the 50-km, what we did. She really only had problems on some of the hills, as she would walk up them. The worst hill was something the veterns called "Fishback Rd". It was a nice, long uphill climb. I was really tired by the end of it, but it was a nice sence of accomplishment. This year I'm doing the 100-mile track challenge, but I'm thinking I might have jumped the gun as I am recovering from knee surgery. All I can say is I guess I'll give it a try and if I don't make it in 6 hours, then I'll just have to try again next year. The Indy Tour de cure has 4 ride options. A recreational ride that is as many laps around the track that you want to do. A 50-km, 75-km and the 100-mile track challenge. If you are interested in joining a team you can join our team, "The Freedom Riders", I believe you don't have to do the same event as all the team mates, plus we might be changing our plans and doing the 75km. Donna is from Greenwood, Indiana she is kinda close to you. I live in Madison, Indiana with my husband, but work at Camp Atterbury, Indiana. I'm alittle ways away, but I go to Greenwood often to hang out with her. If you are interested, we could all meet for or something and talk face to face, if you have anymore questions about the event. Whether you join a team or choose to go it alone, I suggest that you do the event. It's a great event, for a great cause and some great people!!
    ~~Help me in the fight to cure diabetes, by either joining my team, "The Freedom Riders" at http://main.diabetes.org/goto/thefreedomriders, or by donating at http://main.diabetes.org/goto/jake for the Tour de Cure in Indianapolis, Indiana on June 12, 2010~~

Cool, thanks for the information! I will be in touch

The more the merrier!!
    ~~Help me in the fight to cure diabetes, by either joining my team, "The Freedom Riders" at http://main.diabetes.org/goto/thefreedomriders, or by donating at http://main.diabetes.org/goto/jake for the Tour de Cure in Indianapolis, Indiana on June 12, 2010~~

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks for chiming in, Jessica.

BTW, I'm getting married in Madison on February 13th. We're "eloping" more or less (it's mot a secret from our friends and family, but it'll only be the two of us). We're staying at the Iron Gate Inn.

We live in Franklin--just north of Atterbury--if you gals ever want to get together for a ride.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Congratulations on the marriage!

It would be good to get together for a ride - once I am safe for others to ride around

My Exec. Director wants to get a team together from the office for Tour de Cure. We are regional transportation planners, and one of the things we are responsible for is bike/ped planning - so it would be a good thing for us to do - but regardless I am going to go for it