Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Newbie question

Newbie question

To disable ads, please log-in.

Where did you start with triathlons? I am a good swimmer, used to be a good runner (but my bunions are vying to put me in canoes instead of sneakers). And have had a good cycling season, and I want to grow those skills. Any advice on how to start?
    Get on your bikes and ride!
    'Bicycle Race' -Queen

Quote Originally Posted by e.e.cummings View Post
    Where did you start with triathlons? I am a good swimmer, used to be a good runner (but my bunions are vying to put me in canoes instead of sneakers). And have had a good cycling season, and I want to grow those skills. Any advice on how to start?
    I was very into biking when i decided I wanted to try triathlon. I did some running in Jr HS and on my own in HS, didn't care for it that much but knew I could do it if I wanted. I grew up at and in the water and knew how to swim, unfortunately, once I hit the pool I discovered that I was a very poor swimmer. I needed massive help and took individual lessons for a few months.

In my opinion you can figure out how to bike and run from stuff you read on the web, but getting good at swimming requires good technique and the best way to get there is through lessons.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I am a begiiner triathlete well into my forties. I started swimming when I couldn't mountain bike due to an injury. Once I got better I got a road bike to build up my fitness. I loved that, and since I have a friend who does tri, it seemed natural to give it a shot. Last July I simply signed up for a sprint that was 8 weeks out and started a couch to 5k program. I had never run more than a mile in my entire life. I kept up a scedule of swimming, biking, and running. On race day I finished right in the middle of my age group, not bad for a newbie.

I really enjoyed the whole experience. I have been focusing on running this winter, and am up to almost a 10k distance. This year I am going to run a 5k in February, a 10k in March, ride a metric century in April, and aim for one or two Olympic triathlons in May and one in September.

I will be using the beginnertriathlete.com program as a general schedule for training. Maybe if I get more serious I will join a local team for coaching and all that, but at this point I am just having fun, and honestly I love being an inspiration for my friends and family. My advice is start slowly with the running to avoid injury and other than that find an event and go for it!

I love TE because we have gals here who do freakin' IM's and that is so amazing to me. I am so inspired here. Plus I found out about a tri in SunRiver that I may aim for next year, I have family in Bend, OR.
    Last edited by fatbottomedgurl; 01-17-2010 at 11:52 PM.

I did my first (and only) tri last year after one of my co-workers and riding partners suggested we (DH, riding partner and I) train for a triathlon over the winter to stay in shape. This guy is 10 years younger than me by the way. I could not swim a lick and was petrified of the water. I took swimming lessons and learned to swim and started running for the first time in 20 years. We read everything we could get our hands on and that's when I joined this forum to try to learn everything I could about triathlon training. We trained for 5 months and it was hard work but a lot of fun too. My goal was just to complete it and not be last (I was a pretty slow runner) and I did it. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Thanks to all the ladies here on the forum. Like Fatbottomedgirl said, some of these ladies do IM's. They are amazing, inspiring, supportive and knowledgeable.

I'm doing another sprint in May and am considering an Olympic in July with an open water swim.......I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

FBG,

I'm on BeginnerTriathlete.com as MDHillSlug; what's your username there?
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by fatbottomedgurl View Post
    Plus I found out about a tri in SunRiver that I may aim for next year, I have family in Bend, OR.
    Pac Crest? GREAT tri! I did the Oly last year and am doing the Half this year. Several other TE gals talking about doing one or the other this year too. If you're thinking about doing your first Oly, this might not be the best one to choose. It's a challenging course, and often very hot. Definitely doable though, if you train up well and get some heat and hill training into your schedule. OTOH, if you're feeling undertrained, this one wouldn't be a good one to start with.

HTH,

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592