Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl View Post
    I also found it very helpful to read the book Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.
    Would this book be helpful for someone who is hypoglycemic but not diabetic?

I think so. Diabetes is on some ways an operational definition. I have been diagnosed with diabetes and hypoglycemia at various stages in my life, but told I was OK when I was in good control. This just led to confusion, since being symptomatic is really just a sign of poor control, not that you don't have issues with blood sugar control. The book is great for explaining how to normalize your blood sugars, which is important for anyone that has a hard time to doing that eating a conventionally healthy diet.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Thanks Tri! I'll have to look into getting this book.

As a follow up, please be sure you guys keep your doctor in the loop if you are planning to experiment with dietary control of blood sugar levels. While dietary approaches to normalizing blood sugars are great, if you are on any blood sugar lowering medications, your doc will probably want to adjust their dosae first.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Addendum: if you are truly going hypoglycemic, please get a medic alert bracelet or necklace. ......
    RoadID is my favorite, and they don't jerk you around like American Medical ID. www.roadid.com
    What is the deal with American Medical ID? It's become even more apparent that I need to get a medic alert something or other and I had been told that American Medical ID was the most recognizable one out there. I do like the looks of the RoadID, but was wondering what problems there are with American Medical ID.

I am experimenting with adding Gu Electrolyte Brew to my water during training/spinning, and that seems to be helping AND I can tolerate the taste (it isn't overly sweet or overpowering). It does have carbs in it as well as electrolytes - and Performance Bike has the mix on sale http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400004_400109

I don't know why I've been so resistant to adding stuff to my water, it isn't like my doctor hasn't been telling me to do so

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    What is the deal with American Medical ID? It's become even more apparent that I need to get a medic alert something or other and I had been told that American Medical ID was the most recognizable one out there. I do like the looks of the RoadID, but was wondering what problems there are with American Medical ID.
    American Medical ID is a company that advertises itself well. http://americanmedical-id.com/ When you go to check out, it takes 3 or 4 tries before you get to the final screen. Each try, they slip something into your order (a duplicate ID, a wallet card, a second alert charm) which you have to actively remove. I finally gave up in disgust and didn't order from them at all.

Medical ID's in themselves are standard, no one company is special. Your corner jewelry store will have them, will fit them to you, and engrave them for you.

This company http://www.fiddledeeids.com/ has some clever designs, and their basic bracelet is the cheapest I've seen anywhere. http://www.fiddledeeids.com/simple-s...celet-p-4.html
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson