Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Brisbane Commuting from a long lapsed member

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi All

I used to be on this forums a lot but I lapsed a bit, but I'm back and keen to get back into my cycling...

For a whole raft of reasons I haven't done any cycling for a couple of years. I've piled on the kilos and now need to get myself back into some semblance of shape!

Anyone out there who's commuting in Brisbane? (I'm on the northside). I'm keen to get back starting and wondering how you've found it??
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK to Brisbane, Australia - It's the Big Trip - www.bigtrip.blogspot.com

I ride to work a couple days a week. I live on the Northside and work on the Southside. I ride into the CBD, catch the train to vaguely near work, then ride the rest of the way. Around a 53Km round trip.

The ride into the CBD from where I live (near Brookside) is pretty straight-forward. Get onto the Kedron Brook bike path, turn off to the Grange, then through Wilston and the back of Herston, eventually joining the Roma St Parklands route. Actually, just follow this route from Mitchelton to the CBD.

The rest of the route on this map is from the CBD to Archerfield, but I don't do this longer ride on a regular basis - just too damn hot at the moment.

The ride to the CBD is very pleasant. Mostly bike path with a few little-used back streets. There's only two higher-traffic roads - Kedron Brook Rd through Wilston, and Herston Rd through Herston. Kedron Brook Rd is nice and wide and has a marked bike lane. So does Herston Rd, so you really should be set.

There's a slight change that I need to make to this map. Basically as you go down Noble St, the council have added a new bridge to take you onto the back streets of Herston. Instead of turning left off Noble St onto the narrow pathway, follow the road around to the right, then get onto the new bridge. You'll know it when you see it. It also keeps you off B!tchy Hill (see my comments on the bikely map!).

Now that I think of it, I just recorded the new improved route with my iPhone's GPS just the other day.. *sigh* Check it out here.

Anyway.. I hope that helps!

Max

Commute

That's awesome info thanks Maxxxie.

I actually live near the Kedron Brook Path (Wooloowin) and hadn't even considered that. My other thought was the back way through Albion which I've seen on the BCC website, but haven't tried yet.

Cheers
    Victoria
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK to Brisbane, Australia - It's the Big Trip - www.bigtrip.blogspot.com

If you're headed to the city the Kedron Brook takes you very indirectly...kinda traverses around the city. From Wooloowin you can hop down Dickson St and follow it all the way along the railway. It turns into Bridge St then Mawarra St and keep following it under the underpass and to the end, veering right, then you can pop between houses onto lutwyche rd. You can then hop straight down Lutwyche rd (I probably wouldn't want to be doing this in heavy traffic), and turn right after the hospital...there is a bike path that runs along the golf course and runs behind the Grammar schools in Spring Hill, popping you our in Roma St Parklands in the CBD. Sorry I don't have a GPS file of this...but heres the map anyway:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...3,0.04916&z=16

It's a better way than going Sandgate Rd, Breakfast creek rd, where there's always crap on the road and no shoulder. Maybe have a dry run super early or in a low-traffic time to see how you go!

Thanks for that - awesome info. Deffo something to try soon.