Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rejuvinating a vintage bike - suggestions?

To disable ads, please log-in.

O Collective Wisdom:

I have a 1978 Raleigh Gran Prix (Walter by name) that is insisting that I Do Something for him this snowy winter, dagnabbit! So, I- - -

1) Got him out of the shed and into the basement.

2) Loosened the seatpost by means of chain lube and percussive maintenance and got the seat up to what might be a useful height - at any rate it is no longer at the absolute bottom of its range. I was surprised and pleased to find that it hadn't rusted in place. This was good. Unfortunately, the bolt holding the seat in place has gone to that great spare parts box in the sky so I need to find a replacement.

3) Ran out of inspiration. . .

So, I ask you. Now What? I'm open to suggestions.

More details; He was a 1st anniversary present from DH, he's a 10-speed, most equipment is original, and I'd like to keep as much of the original spirit of the bike as possible, if that makes sense.

Should I go with a more modern drive train? Can I do that on a budget?

My knees veto a fixie or single-speed set-up.

I'm pretty sure I'll need a new stem, as that never was quite right for me.

Or should I just clean him up and go with what I have?

What would you do?

The bike in question:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walter.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	10649  
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Upgrading the drivetrain from a 10 speed may be tricky, because of the spacing between the rear dropouts. You can measure that to see what your options are, but odds are you can't do too much without respacing the frame (if you can find an ultra 6 freewheel then it will fit in the space of a 5 speed, but you may or may not really change your gear options that way depending on what you have). To completely overhaul it and make it modern requires either rebuilding the wheels with new hubs (to use a cassette) or buying a new (or used) wheelset so you can use a cassette. From there, you'd basically need all the components of a new drivetrain - if you price this out, it's not economical at all. It's possible, it's just not cheap... you'd pretty much be treating the bike as if it were only frame and starting over.

I have to say though, I'm in the middle of "updating" my own vintage bike, and so far I have swapped out the saddle and seatpost (original was too short), bars, brake levers, cables, I taped the new bars, and I have put a rear rack on it. I've decided for now to leave the drivetrain alone.. everything is as far as I can tell in pretty good shape. Of course, all of the changes I've made to mine have added up to quite a bit too.. but not as much as a modern drivetrain. However, I am learning to wrench on this bike, so the experience I'm gaining along the way is priceless.. I've been afraid to mess with too much on my trek, but for some reason I don't feel like I can really 'mess up' working on an older bike

This image is prior to swapping out the cables and putting the "final" tape on the bars, but it shows what I did with the brake levers. I used Tektro R100's (this is the women's "short reach" version of the R200) and RL720's (which i wish i could move about 1" inwards from where they are, but the clamp bulge prevents that.. something I didn't even think about when I picked that bar, but defintely something I'll consider for the future). I thought I might want a shorter stem based on the bars that were on the bike when I bought it, but my new bars had a shorter reach and shallower drop and riding on the hoods or in the drops feels pretty good to me now.

All i still want to do is put fenders on it and maybe a front basket..

Walter is lovely! I love the gentle curve of the front fork.

I know nothing about fixing up bikes, though. A good cleaning, lubing, retaping the handlebars, and a seat I really like would be my start.

Knowing pretty much nothing about bike mechanics - I'd make the bike comfortably ridable. So replace the stem, seat, new tape. Also you want to make certain the brakes actually work. Stopping is good. If the gears are in reasonably good shape - not missing or bent, then I'd stick with what you have. A bike mechanic friend managed to repair my old college bike (about the same vintage as yours) that was long neglected, suffered being stuck out in the weather a bit . As I recall, the only thing he replaced was new tubes/tires, tape, seat, and the chain. That bike carried me on my first MS-150 like a champ, then carried a friend on her first (after I declared her current beater bike unsafe at any speed).
    Beth

Maybe this will give you some ideas.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I just revived my mixte (check out the mixte thread) by replacing the wheels and tires replacing the saddle with my good old brooks, replacing the brake pads and putting on fenders..
    I've been riding it since my custom bike is in the shop, and although it's heavier, it's kind of fun to have just ten speeds..
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

If you can clean and lube the drivetrain, and it runs without skipping, I'd say leave it as it is. Otherwise look for a new 5-speed freewheel and 8-speed chain. If possible, I'd definitely overhaul the hubs, bottom bracket, and headset with new ball bearings and grease.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

I forgot to say that the old steel wheels were incredibly heavy. Replacing them with inexpensive (used) alloy (aluminum) wheels made a huge difference in the total weight of the bike and they're safer too because the brakes work better on alloy wheels.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Smile The Plan

Thank you all. I knew you'd come through! You clarified my thinking admirably.

OK, after reading your suggestions, cogitating on matters while staring at the bike in question and spending the night dreaming about shiny parts, I've come up with The Plan.

1) Replace the squishy foam grips that have lost their poop, but somewhere along the way gained black electrical tape, with the squishiest bar tape I can find. Black.

1a) Use the cute Raleigh bar plugs I found on line - if I can still find them.

2) Replace the old white-ish cable housings with new black housings. Right now, there is a mixture of black & old stained and yellowed used-to-be white that offends my eye mightily.

3) Those Tektro brake levers are sweet! I want.

4) Work with LBS to find a better stem for me (adjust my reach).

5) Just clean up the drive train, it's still running OK.

6) The seat never was a big problem. It has Brooks stamped into the side, though it is not leather. It stays.

7) Make a big mess of the basement (it can take it) and completely wash and maybe wax the bike.

8) Fiddle around and make sure things are adjusted.

9) Find a bolt, any bolt, that fits the seat stay. It isn't threaded in there, I can use whatever fits. (Big sigh of relief here.)

There, that should keep me busy, and my checkbook empty, until the snow melts.

As an aside, I'm glad this place is here so I have someplace to admit to dreaming about bike parts.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike View Post
    3) Those Tektro brake levers are sweet! I want.
    They're fairly cheap, too! I think I paid around $20 for mine.. I had ordered other goodies with them so the cost of shipping wasn't too big of a deal. They also come in solid black.

As an aside, I'm glad this place is here so I have someplace to admit to dreaming about bike parts.
    Agreed

Where did you order the brake levers from? Details, girl, details!
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike View Post
    Where did you order the brake levers from?
    Take your pick

The original stock cable sheath was white. You sure you want black?

Yep, I want black. Half the original cable sheaths are still on the bike, which is why I want the black. The black just looks better to my eye.

For a long time I tried to maintain the brand-new just-out-of-the-box integrity of the bike, but I've finally decided that I don't want a museum piece, I want a working bike. There will be no hiding the age of either the bike or the rider, but hey, we can move with the times. We're cool that way.

I'll keep the down-tube friction shifters, though, 'cause I like them.

Oh, and Velo Orange has all sorts of stuff I need for this project. I asked too soon.
    Last edited by MomOnBike; 01-07-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: forgot something
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Velo Orange is a great little shop. All kinds of quirky stuff.

Here's you bar end plugs-
    http://www.barplugs4u.com/catalog/it...89/1092427.htm

Those were exactly what I was thinking about. However, on the home page there is a notice that as of August they are closed to orders due to illness. It doesn't look good. Hope springing eternal and all, I'll keep checking back, but I worry.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX