Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel Cut Oats

To disable ads, please log-in.

Have you seen this thread? Lots of good information here:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=11739

Lynette

I just discovered steel cut oats. Yeah, I know, I live under a rock. I've been eating Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats, add some nuts, dried fruit and a teeny bit of brown suger. Yummers.

I'm going to try the crock pot method.

The crock pot method was really easy and they turned out amazingly well. It sure made a mess in the crock pot though. The nice thing is that I put the leftovers in a plastic container in the frig and just heated them up in the microwave the next morning.

I added little brown sugar, butter, milk and raisins to mine and it was very good. The problem is that my blood sugar really dropped about 2 hours after I ate them which I really didn't expect. I thought the reason you ate oatmeal is to keep that from happening. This happened both times and the second time I used sweetener instead of brown sugar. Has anyone else had this happen?

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

steel cut oats

I love Mccanns Irish oatmeal (steel cut). I cook up a big pot once a week and then nuke a serving for breakfast- 1 minute to gratification. I prefer to soak them for a couple of hours, bring them to a boil and then simmer with an occasional stir untile they are thickened and the water is gone. A latte, steel cut oatmeal with milk and a handful of raisins will get me through my normal training ride of 40-50 miles with a gel or a handful of sports beans at the halfway point.

marni

So I am jumping into the mix here! I did the "leave it overnight" business, and put sugar free syrup in it. The first morning was not that great, so I added less water. This morning, it was fantastic! Just perfect!

Anyone do baked oatmeal? I had some at a bed and breakfast and LOVED it, but I haven't tried it yet myself. Any ideas?
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

For those that asked, here's reasonable explanation of the differences found in oats, oatmeal, etc., though I'm not a proponent of the Zone Diet.
    http://www.formerfatguy.com/articles/oatmeal/oats.asp

And, truthfully, the idea of cooking a grain overnight makes me think of library paste. But I like to chew my cereal which can only be done if the fiber is kept intact by not overcooking (and then it doesn't cause as much of a blood sugar spike). Just my humble opinion.

Even Bob's Red Mill only recommends cooking for 8-10 mins.
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes_detail.php?rid=1367
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I like the steel cut oats too. I cook mine on low for 30 minutes while I'm in the shower. They don't get stirred or anything. I like the idea that I am "multitasking".

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I cook mine on low for 30 minutes while I'm in the shower. They don't get stirred or anything. I like the idea that I am "multitasking".

Veronica
    I have a houseboy to cook mine.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I just baked some for "breakfast" (which got some strawberry frozen yogurt thrown on top for dessert!).

I did 3.5 cups milk, 1 cup oats, 2 chopped up apples, 1/2 cup raisins, cinnamon, fake sugar (I know, I know), and it was amazing. I decided to just consider it dessert (and breakfast in the morning).
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

I just decided to try it too. Camping this weekend. Hoping to soak it overnight, then heating it up in the morning. How bad can it be?
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Well, based on this thread, I had to go out and buy some steel cut oat. I will never go back to standard oat! I love the texture, and cooked them on the stove. I am eating the leftovers from yesterday, heated up in the microwave they taste just fine.

thanks for recommending them!

Lisa

kacie - Here is my recipe for baked oatmeal. I use Benecol spread because I am watching my cholesterol, but feel free to use butter.

Enjoy!

Lynette

Baked Oatmeal with Strawberries, Blueberries, and Bananas

• Olive Oil spray for greasing the pan
    • 2 cups steel cut oats
    • 1/2 cup slivered almonds (or chopped walnuts)
    • 1/ 4 cup brown sugar
    • 1/4 cup shelled pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
    • 1 teaspoon of ground flax seeds
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
    • 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
    • zest from 1 large orange
    • 2 cups of fat-free milk (or soy milk)
    • 1 large egg
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
    • 3 medium bananas, diced
    • 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
    • 1 cup fresh blueberries
    • benecol spread
    Method:
    1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease the inside of a baking dish, 2-quart capacity.
    2. In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, almonds, brown sugar, pumpkin seeds, ground flax seeds, baking powder, orange zest, spices, and salt. Set aside.
    3. In another bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, vanilla, and maple syrup. Set aside.
    4. In the prepared baking dish, spread the diced bananas in an even layer, then scatter the strawberries and blueberries over top. Pile the oat mixture to cover the fruit, but do not pack too tightly. Carefully pour the wet milk mixture over the oats.
    5. Dot casserole wth benecol spread and bake for 40 minutes, until the oatmeal is puffed and set, with a golden brown top.
    6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
    Last edited by Over50Newbie; 01-24-2010 at 07:50 AM.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    ^That looks like a delicious recipe. Hmmmm.....

I cook my oats in the pressure cooker. The method of cooking really seals in any flavors I add to the oats and it's ready in 8 minutes.

Over50Newbie, I just ate 2 bowls of fresh Baked Oatmeal. DELICIOUS.

Tempted to get a third bowl...

I made the following modifications, based on what I had on hand:
    one cup of pecans & walnuts for all the nuts
    A couple tablespoons of sesame seeds, I didn't have ground flax seeds (?).
    Didn't feel like zesting an orange. Omitted that.
    Omitted the brown sugar & maple syrup (though it would have been tasty if you are eating sugar).
    Didn't feel like searching for the vanilla, so omitted that. It took me long enough to find the cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger. (Someone needs to organize the spice cabinet!)
    I had frozen blueberries and frozen peaches (instead of strawberries) so that's what I used.
    Benecol? I googled it and found out it is essentially margarine. I skipped it.

Sundial, do you have any trouble with oats foaming in the pressure cooker? (and/or do you put anything in them specificalliy to control foaming?)
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler