Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Moving right along January 3rd-9th

To disable ads, please log-in.

It sounds like everyone got some great running in over the holidays! That's awesome! I didn't run as much as I would have liked because I got sidelined by a cold. I was visiting friends in Brooklyn last week, went out for a run, got 1.5 miles in and tripped on a sidewalk. I am not used to sidewalks - especially the slate kind that reach up and grab you! Tore a hole in my favorite tights, too. So because of the head cold I took the next few days off. Ran 5 yesterday with DH, it was about 18 degrees and snowing and very windy. I ran in my scuba booties again - I really love running this way, "nearly" barefoot but not anywhere near cold. Today is my strength/stretch day so I have Pilates tonight. How about you all?
    I can do five more miles.

Today is the first day of official training for my HIM on May 23. I ran 3.25 miles this morning. It's the most I've done since I injured my knee in October.

Tonight is yoga. Tomorrow more running in the AM, personal trainer session in the PM. Wed. more yoga in the AM and bike trainer in the PM. Thursday is the same as Tuesday. Friday is a rest day. Saturday/Sunday one day will be bike trainer and one day will be an outside ride. And I'll get in another yoga session on the weekend too.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Sunday-- 2 miles, in 6 F. BRRR! But it marked 12 weeks until my half-marathon, so I felt the need to get out there and run. It wasn't that bad, really; I was a bit too warm with a tailwind, and a bit too cold with a headwind.

Monday-- a very slow 4.5 miles, in 15 F with snow falling. I had no stamina at all. It might have been due to lack of sleep (my cats were quarelling all night long over who got to be under the covers with me) or due to giving blood last Friday. Or the wind and cold and iffy footing. Or maybe all the above!

I'm thinking it's time to look into joining a gym... There's a Y just 1.25 miles away, with all the amenities (like heat)!

Veronica! Exciting! I hope your injury continues to feel good!

So DH and I went on a week vacation to Austin, because we had never been. It was a great time, and I got some great runs in. I signed up for the resolution run 5K in Austin, and I PR-ed 24:09, and I got 2nd in my age group (and got this really cool purple geode for a medal!). So fun!!

Today is the official first day of my Ironman Training!!! Yikes! Today is just strength training, but it still feel like a big deal! I am so excited about the whole journey! I am sure that there will be lower times, but right now, and I just excited about it!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

5.5 miles outside yesterday (a "make-up" run for the run I skipped on Saturday )

6 miles on the treadmill at this gym this morning, doing some tempo work at target heartrates. Tough, but fun in it's own weird, sick way.

On New Year's Eve, I did the First Run 5K with my friend Jill, at midnight. (in sparkly dresses!) She's not a regular runner, so this was a challenge for her. I ran a half step behind her, so she wouldn't feel like I was pushing her. Finished in 29:57. 9:38/mile. I was so proud of her! As for me - last year I ran the Shamrock 5K in March in 30:33. 9:48/mile and it was a full-on effort. This run was actually really easy for me. I'm felt like I could have gone 9:30/mile or even a little less, as I really felt like I was just cruising and was able to hold a conversation with Jill. :-) Oh, and it was the day after my 9 mile long run. Guess I'm getting faster!

Added up my December mileage and saw I did 95 miles last month. Feels pretty decent for December.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Today I had to pick up a few things from the grocery store and decided I'd make that trip my run for the day (the store is about two miles away). I ran there and ended up walking back since my backpack ended up getting kind of heavy and most of the way home is uphill. Still, it was nice to combine exercise and errands during a season where biking isn't so practical.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Haven't been able to access the forum for the past few days, not sure if it's my browser or not. Either way, it's good to see that you ladies are starting the year off well! Lots of ambitious upcoming races too, I'm excited to see how everyone does!

Bitterly cold -18F temps didn't keep Maggie & I from our first long run of the year a stellar 16miles Saturday afternoon. I was able to video several sections along the way which will some up most of my feeling/thoughts of the run so I won't be long winded here. Video is on my blog.

It was a really decent run, we had fun & managed to spend a good deal of it comfortable. Vasaline kept my cheeks from getting frostbitten and making a pocket between my mouth & the face warmer/balaclava to warm the air before it hits my lungs worked beautifully. Freezing water has been a huge issue this winter, but wearing my hydration pack under one of my two jackets worked great this time. The hardest part is actually the pavement and stiff shoes. It's harder on the joints making me watch my form a lot to make sure my foot-striking isn't hurting me. I'm used to doing long runs on trail or moving off the paved path onto grass beside the sidewalk in town to limit impact but that's all under at least 3ft of snow. That said, I'll adjust. I did last year.

In other news, my first ultra (a 50k) of the season is May 15th! It's a beautiful course on terrain I used to hike through as a teen. I didn't run back then so I'm curious to see how it will be to run it.

bikechick Welcome to the frosty eyelash & eyebrow club & nice run! It isn't as bad as it looks, is it? After a while I forget the ice is there.

Lime Don't be to hard on yourself about the recent race. 1:04 is a very respectable time and I have no doubt you'll get your pace back!
    For more details, check out my blog! http://stubborntriathlete.blogspot.com/

For all the randomness, follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/ShootRunTri

Well I felt pretty studly with my 40 min trail run in 27 degree weather, with headlamps until I watched that video!!!

Urlea.....You fargo girls are tough! I have camped in those temps and skied in those temps, but I have never run in those temps. Rock on ladies!

Ladies, you amaze and inspire me, thank you.

I ran 8 miles Saturday but my calf cramp came back and this time I think I may have pulled a muscle. So this week I am really taking it easy. Ice, heat, massage and rest.

I ran outside for the first time in over a month today! I tweaked my IT band again while running in shoes on the treadmill last week. (Running barefoot on the TM doesn't cause knee pain.) I was pretty paranoid that the evil monster was back, less than 2 weeks before a race. I did 2 miles, being careful to really listen to my body, and had no ITB pain

I did feel some fatigue in my upper quad, just to the inside of my hip, and near the crease of my leg. Is this my TFL muscle that I'm feeling, and could this be the cause of my ITBS? Perhaps this means I'm overusing the TFL and not using the glutes enough....
    Last edited by Becky; 01-05-2010 at 02:48 AM. Reason: New theory

Quote Originally Posted by kacie tri-ing View Post
    Veronica! Exciting! I hope your injury continues to feel good!

So DH and I went on a week vacation to Austin, because we had never been. It was a great time, and I got some great runs in. I signed up for the resolution run 5K in Austin, and I PR-ed 24:09, and I got 2nd in my age group (and got this really cool purple geode for a medal!). So fun!!

Today is the official first day of my Ironman Training!!! Yikes! Today is just strength training, but it still feel like a big deal! I am so excited about the whole journey! I am sure that there will be lower times, but right now, and I just excited about it!
    Congrats on your PR/medal! Awesome!!

And, welcome to the rollercoaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Urlea View Post
    Bitterly cold -18F temps didn't keep Maggie & I from our first long run of the year a stellar 16miles Saturday afternoon. I was able to video several sections along the way which will some up most of my feeling/thoughts of the run so I won't be long winded here. Video is on my blog.!
    Brrrrrrrrr!!! Talk about snotsicles (not that there were any in your picture)! Way to tough it out. I'm impressed.

Sorry about your sidewalk adventure, Colby Looks like you've recovered happily.

You are all so inspiring.

I did something really stupid last week and now I'm paying the price. I was frustrated with the weather and went for a tough workout on the bike trainer, pushing some big gears a lot of the time. Then I did a track workout the next day. Then another run in the following days. Sunday I had to go 13 km for my long run.

I was doing okay, although a bit sore, for the first 3 km until I turned a corner to go "uphill." I say uphill but it's really a mini-incline, not even 2% slope. My left leg was NOT happy. In-house doctor (my husband) has diagnosed a strain of adductor longus, i.e. my groin area, left side.

It just became worse and worse while running, and the pain shot higher if I took a walking break and started running again. I had to walk a mile on the way to work this morning and it was quite unpleasant.

The pain was bothersome, but I was above all mad at myself - and still am. I have just started thinking about doing a marathon in May (I'm currently training for a half in February) and there I go stupidly hurting myself, overdosing on leg exercises during the holidays. How dumb. If I only ran on flat ground, it would perhaps be okay, but there is nowhere flat to run around here.

I'm supposed to run almost 50 km this week. I don't know if that's going to happen, or why. Really frustrated.

I am getting jealous reading all of your posts. I think I'm ready to start running again. My back and hip are still up and down, but I've had a few pain free days. Some days riding or x country skiing actually make it feel better.
    I guess I have to start from square one again, which was really slow to work up to my pretty slow speed of a ten minute mile. I did a little test on the treadmill last weekend, where I walked on an incline and ran for 3 three minute intervals at 5.8 mph. No pain or injuries, so I guess this is where I will start.

Grog, I feel your pain. Well sorta... my knee has been acting up and it irritates the hell out of me and makes me push harder. I know I should rest it but I am training for a half in Feb as well and don't want to lose any days. I also have a cold. I wore running shoes today for the first time in a month and I hated it, and I think it made the knee worse. My times certainly weren't any better (4.18 miles in 43 minutes, a few hills but gawd...) Back to scuba booties tomorrow.
    I can do five more miles.