Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I take classes at one of the local bike shops and it is geared toward road cyclist. They also offer yoga specifically for cyclists.

When you say "pulled back over the saddle," how far back are you? You should ride a spinning bike the same as you would a real bike. Imagine you're on your own bike, climbing a heavy hill. The saddle would just be touching your inner thigh. If you were pulled waaaaay back over the saddle, I think something bad might happen--you could potentially pull the front of the bike up off of the ground, and, well, you get the picture. Try not to exaggerate your form on the spinning bike. And remember, if it doesn't feel right to you, don't do it. Keep it simple and just ride your bike.
    The Journey is the Reward.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieBikes View Post
    There is a terrific ebook on the Roadbikerider web site. It is $20 but it is really awesome and is definitely the complete book of spinning...and by a woman who actually cycles. She devotes alot of time to debunking the myths of many of the "exercises" that the spin instructors do, from push ups to hands behind the back and many other silly on-bike "exercises" that you would NEVER do on a bicycle. That was definitely one of the best things I have read about indoor spinning. It certainly encouraged me to go out and get my own trainer and spin at home instead of in a class. My workouts are better and I had more than one person say to me last year that they were surprised at how much better a cyclist I was. That made my $20 well worth it! I will never keep up with my husband but I will be a better cyclist!!!

http://www.roadbikerider.com/booksto...#Keep_it_Real0
    I mentioned this ebook from Jennifer Sage before. It explains it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Raindrop View Post
    This is the time of new year resolutions and when outdoor riders (and non-riders) come into the indoor realm of cycling classes. I've been an instructor in this format since 1997 as well as being a personal trainer and an outoor cyclist.

I just wish anyone that takes indoor cycling classes would realize a few things. First, it's really your workout. You don't have to move in and out of the saddle every time the instructor says to, and if it doesn't feel good to you...don't do it!

Cycle classes should be fun and instructive. If an instructor asks you to do push-ups on the bike, or quick jumps in and out of the saddle, or "hovers" ask them (after class) what they believe the benefit is. Chances are that they won't have a reasonable answer because believe me (and studies that support this) that any half-a$$ push-up done on the bike won't improve your cycling and it won't improve your upper body. What it will do is take away from your training on the bike. Likewise the old "hands behind the back" supposed core movement. If you want to improve your core strength, work on it off the bike...dont dilute your bike training for the sake of "fluff moves" on the spinning bike.

OK...stepping off my soapbox.

Raindrop, I am so glad that there are people which think the same as me about this topic.
    All this spin trainer certification company's are not interested in good quality spin instructors, it is MONEY... (how can you understand in 8 hours course what to do, especially if you are not a cyclist)... they take anybody. We had a instructor which biked like a Granny and got all ab set because I did my own thing, she didn't get my blood boiling. ..never seen her again...
    I am a cyclist outdoor and come indoor for the winter, but know I have enough, I will train at home on my trainer, I don't wont to waist my time.
    It is to bad, then when I started spinning I enjoyed the group dinamic...somehow this is all gone...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek View Post
    When you say "pulled back over the saddle," how far back are you? You should ride a spinning bike the same as you would a real bike. Imagine you're on your own bike, climbing a heavy hill. The saddle would just be touching your inner thigh. If you were pulled waaaaay back over the saddle, I think something bad might happen--you could potentially pull the front of the bike up off of the ground, and, well, you get the picture. Try not to exaggerate your form on the spinning bike. And remember, if it doesn't feel right to you, don't do it. Keep it simple and just ride your bike.
    I notice that when I 'pull back over the saddle,' I can feel an ache on the inner side of my knee after class. I do much better if I climb as I would on my bike, raised but not overaccentuating anything. I've gotta remember to 'ride my own ride' and not feel like I need to follow the instructor's directions word for word.

All spinning instructors are not created equal, that's for sure. At my gym, they have two cycling classes. One is called Performance Cycling and you are guaranteed that the instructor is a cyclist -- most of them are triathletes. So, I make sure to go to those classes. The other is Studio Cycling and it's not geared towards training to ride a bike -- it's just an aerobic workout. But my DH goes to whatever class, puts his headset on and does his own thing.. go figure.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

Quote Originally Posted by kmehrzad View Post
    I do much better if I climb as I would on my bike, raised but not overaccentuating anything. I've gotta remember to 'ride my own ride' and not feel like I need to follow the instructor's directions word for word.
    You got it now! It's the instructor's class, but baby, it's YOUR RIDE!
    The Journey is the Reward.

I went to spin last night and the instructor was stuck in traffic on the interstate. One thing led to another and I was teaching the class. Only 2 people and one was a total newbie. Luckily the bike shop guy had an MP3 player and I just let it play from a song list. It worked out fine and everyone seemed happy that they got to spin. The shop guys were grateful and I may get some free classes out of it! I laughed when they said I sounded like I knew what I was doing!

Quote Originally Posted by arielmoon View Post
    I went to spin last night and the instructor was stuck in traffic on the interstate. One thing led to another and I was teaching the class. Only 2 people and one was a total newbie. Luckily the bike shop guy had an MP3 player and I just let it play from a song list. It worked out fine and everyone seemed happy that they got to spin. The shop guys were grateful and I may get some free classes out of it! I laughed when they said I sounded like I knew what I was doing!
    I had an experience like that except the class had about 30 people and the instructor called in sick at the last minute. My MP3 player died & I ended up borrowing one - wrong move. FULL of hip hop/rap with all of the bad words, unending beat & unintelligible beginnings & endings of songs (do I sound old?) Everybody appreciated having the class & were totally understanding that I was caught quite off guard.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Only once...the power went out and I gave the class the choice of continuing with no music or quitting...they opted for no music and it turned out to be very powerful. Sometimes, getting inside your own head is the best workout ever!!!
    Vertically challenged, but expanding my horizons.