Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dangfraznabbit, cat! Stop drinking the Christmas tree water!

To disable ads, please log-in.

You have a bowl of your own in the kitchen (and, if I forget to put the lid down, in the bathroom)! Leave the tree water alone!!

But it has that piney twang!
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

HA!! Zen, that's it!! It's a fir tree; I should have gotten a spruce!!

Our cat LOVES the Christmas tree water. We've taken to wrapping a blanket snugly around the base with the water and securing it with clamps so there's no way she can get to it--otherwise, there'd never be any water in there.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Mine does the same thing. I've finally given up (plus, she's in renal failure, so any water to me is good water). I can't imagine that it tastes any good though!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

I have four (cats, not trees!) and they all do it. They are very crafty at pulling the tree skirt just far enough out to drink!
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

My cats love it, too! I don't see the harm. The tree sucks up so much of the water that I have to check it regularly anyway.

I think it's cute!

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

BE CAREFUL. Not sure if it's true but I've heard that the resin from the sap is POISON to pets..... It runs down into the water.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    My cats love it, too! I don't see the harm. The tree sucks up so much of the water that I have to check it regularly anyway.

I think it's cute!

Karen
    It's funny to hear how common it seems to be for cats to get into the Christmas tree water--my family has one that does it too! We just thought she was weird but it sounds like a lot of them do that. It must taste good to them.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

My dogs LOVE to drink out of puddles. They all (2 dogs, 3 cats at the moment) drink out of the same 2 gallon water thing in the house, and none of them seem to mind when one of the dogs has been digging outside and leaves soil and grass on the top of the water. I guess they're not picky.

Karen

I googled. I can only find a reference to CEDAR trees in which the sap could be bad for animals. http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/news/...keep-pets-safe

On further reading, I can't really find any proof--no vets or other scientists saying that tree sap is toxic to cats. Always cat advocates saying it. Since my cat and many others have been doing it for years and years with no apparent ill effects, I don't see the point in panicking about it.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    I googled. I can only find a reference to CEDAR trees in which the sap could be bad for animals. http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/news/...keep-pets-safe

On further reading, I can't really find any proof--no vets or other scientists saying that tree sap is toxic to cats. Always cat advocates saying it. Since my cat and many others have been doing it for years and years with no apparent ill effects, I don't see the point in panicking about it.

Karen
    I wasn't panicking or trying to start a panic, Karen. I was merely pointing out that I heard this (actually from someone who specializes in safety), that I wasn't sure it was true, and was merely passing it on. Since the rambunctious nature of our dogs precludes having a Christmas tree, it isn't something that concerns me in terms of my animals (although if we had a tree, I wouldn't want them to drink tree water it for fear of getting the runs or puking).

Very thoughtful of you spend time and research it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
    I wasn't panicking or trying to start a panic, Karen. I was merely pointing out that I heard this (actually from someone who specializes in safety), that I wasn't sure it was true, and was merely passing it on. Since the rambunctious nature of our dogs precludes having a Christmas tree, it isn't something that concerns me in terms of my animals (although if we had a tree, I wouldn't want them to drink tree water it for fear of getting the runs or puking).

We've had weekly visits to the vet recently, and I let her know that my cat was drinking the tree water. She said that as long as you don't put any preservatives in it (like Miracle Gro) that is should be fine. Might not taste good, but won't hurt her either. And as I said in my earlier post, she agreed that any water is a good thing for my cat right now!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick View Post

Oh no, I'm sorry. I didn't mean you. I meant the people on some of the cat websites who use extremely strong language to make sure no one ever lets their cat drink from the tree water, based on very little evidence.

Karen

I think it must taste very very good to mine, since they all like to drink it!!

Karen