Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fractured vertebrae

To disable ads, please log-in.

Recently found out that I have managed to fracture T7 & T8 vertebrae. I think this occurred while digging out and removing about 20 wheelbarrow loads of old lawn and soil. At the time I thought that I was being "wussie" about muscle soreness. Physio is concerned that it may be a sign of Osteoporosis as the X-ray report indicated more than 20% fracture. It'll take 6 - 8 weeks of healing and in the meantime I've been given strengthening exercises to do. He gave me some literature regarding maintaining bone, which included info on calcium intake, so I've upped the calcium tablets. Fortunately bike riding isn't being discouraged - thank goodness!

I'm taking things easy at the moment and am trying to maintain a good posture and to use my stomach muscles before bending and lifting. By the end of the day I tire and tend to slouch a little. The physio applied two wide strips of tape to my back and this is supposed to be a reminder to keep my shoulders down and back. It's amazing how often I find I'm walking around with my shoulders up instead of down.

So girls (& boys) make sure you use your muscles and not your back to take the strain when doing heavy work - or even the normal day to day stuff.

Oooh we can compare xrays. I was told my T7 resembles a bottle opener.

Seriously, sorry to hear about your injury. I hope you heal up well.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Ive got tendinitis, and I had to be taped up myself. Wierd isnt it?!

Its sooo damn hard to train myself out of slouching. I finally gave up and got a proper strength training program, to retrain and boost all those muscles I neglected.
    Conquering illness, one step at time.

Sorry to hear that Laterider. How awful! I hope you heal quickly.

Remember to take your calcium too ladies (if you are "that age") and do weight bearing exercise like walking, running or weights that will increase your bone density.

I have osteopenia and don't want to take a fall on the bike and break a hip

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

very good reminder that prevention is best! sorry to hear you're in pain, though.

Just out of curiosity, where exactly do you put the tape? I've been wanting something like that to remind me to have a better posture. I slouch oh-so-badly!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Owie! I hope you get relief soon!

For those of you who are concerned about this, start doing Pilates or other core strengthening work NOW. It is never too early, or too late. Many people have falls when they get old because they've lost the strength in their cores to hold themselves up.

Also, calcium is important throughout life, not just when you realize you don't have enough.

Take care, everybody!

Ouch! Heal up quick....

And core strength is important to prevent falls, but so is proprioceptive work - direct balance training, barefoot walking/running, yoga or martial arts, writing the alphabet with your toes. Not that either one has anything to do with Laterider's injury...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Ouch!! Get better soon!!
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Get well soon!!
    Conquering illness, one step at time.

More complex now.

Finally got to see Dr. who looked at X-ray report has prescribed Actonel (Risedronate Sodium) one/per month tablet. He said that I met the criteria for being allowed this med as I have 2 fractures, plus he saw some crushing of T9 as well. I was expecting to have to have a bone density test to confirm that I have Osteoporosis, but this test wasn't mentioned.

After reading the information sheet in the medication packet I'm in a pickle. This type of medication may cause jaw-bone problems in some people, which include infection and healing problems after extraction or drilling into the bone. I currently have an abscess on my tooth and am due to undergo root canal treatment, which takes a few months to complete usually. After researching on the net I've come to the conclusion that I would probably be a prime candidate for complications, so have decided to not take the medication. I'm upping my calcium intake and adding Vit. D as well as following the weight training programme my physio set up as well as 1/2 hour walking each day. The possibility of having my jaw-bone die due to infection is scary and I don't want to risk yet more problems.

I'm now also wondering if my dental problems of the past few years were actually a sign that calcium was being leached out of my bones and teeth. Perhaps my deteriorating dental health (despite regular dental care and check-ups and dentist saying that it is to be expected in people my age) was a sign I should have picked up on.

Be warned! Start taking Calcium and Vit. D way before reaching 50.

I would schedule a bone density test to see what is going on.

I hope you're taking A LOT of Vit D2... I got off the actonel when i discovered that women are still having fractures even when they take the stuff for years...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I'm on 50,000 units of Vit D weekly.
    You read it right, 50K
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Laterider, wow, I hope you heal quickly and with little pain!

I think it's D3 we are supposed to be taking?
    If you up your calcium, be sure to take about 1/2 that amount of magnesium- which goes hand and hand with the calcium absorption.

I've been taking extra calcium, magnesium, and cod liver oil capsules (natural A&D) for many years. Had a bone density test last year at 55, and came out fairly good. I just had a fancy vitamin D blood level test a few weeks ago (my gyno orders one for every patient just once to catch any bad deficiencies, cause he said he's finding most of his patients are way too low), and I was thrilled to be told I had excellent levels of D.
    I don't spend very much time in the sun uncovered or un-sunscreened, and D is almost impossible to get in food, so it must be the years of those golden little Norwegian cod liver oil capsules every other day or so.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    I'm on 50,000 units of Vit D weekly.
    You read it right, 50K
    OMG -- how to you take that much? I'm taking 800 units a day of Vit D and thought that was good and would have to take take 10x that to hit your dosage. How did you arrive at 50K and how do you manage it?
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."