Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What do you drive to transport multiple bikes/gear?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, friends,

I'm thinking of upgrading our 95 Tacoma to something more family-friendly since DD is 11 now and barely fits in the jumper seats anymore.

DH has said he'd like something that can transport at least three bikes (there being three of us), plus the related gear, maybe with a top on it.

It cannot be a minivan, though. Just not happening there. He's thinking a Tundra, but I've been looking and they average 16 - 18 mpg. If we were to actually go on a longer trip, I'd like to be able to afford the gas to get there.

So what do you drive? Any suggestions? It needs to be something with some headroom - he's 6'3" - and not too long in the legroom - I'm only 5'4" and I need to be able to drive it, too.

DH is a Toyota fan. I just want reliable and fuel-efficient. DD may inherit it when she's old enough to drive, too, unless she gets my Rav.

Thanks, all!
    Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    If you want a truck, you might consider the Honda Ridgeline. A friend recently got one and loves it. The mileage is okay, for a truck (20/23).

My husband and I, being racers, often transport 3-4 bikes, 2-3 people and lots of gear in a....... car.....

Our current car is a 97 Saturn. We have a roof rack that holds 4 bikes, wheels and trainers go in the trunk. If we are going to a one day race we can take a passenger. If we are going to a stage race, we will have 4 bikes and too much gear for a passenger. Our mileage is usually in the upper 20's lower 30's if I am remembering properly.

Now of course getting a new Saturn is now a bit out of the question..... (and we figured quite a while ago that GM had ruined them anyway). If an asteroid came down and smashed our Saturn and we had to go out and get a new car tomorrow, we'd likely go for a Jetta TDI - maybe even the wagon since its not much more expensive and gets the same gas mileage, but I suppose that would really depend on how it felt to drive. I am not a fan of large cars.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

We put 3 bikes on the trunk rack of our Toyota Camry, all our stuff in the trunk (and sometimes half the back seat).

The bikes just have to have a big enough top tube to use the trunk rack. My son's 40 CM Fuji Ace with 650 cc wheels is big enough.

What do you drive to transport mulitple bikes/gears?

I drive a SUV ( Mercury Mountaineer) and although many people may not like them, I need a vehicle such as this. Like many of you, I tend to be the person who transports everyone/everything. I have a hitch rack that carries 4 bikes, and in that instance I can carry 3-4 people and gear.(not including myself) I also have a pickup/delivery option for my shop, and in that instance I can carry 8 bikes... 4 outside on the rack and other 4 are inside mounted to a rack. I could add a roof rack as well, although I prefer the hitch racks over the roof... jusr a personal preference. On the highway, I'll get 22-23 MPG, in town I'll average 19-20MPG.

Love my 2008 Toyota 4-Runner. Yes, it gets 16-18 mpg around town, but on the flat turnpike I get like 25-26. It might be more vehicle than you need. I also pull a one-horse trailer with it. I had a hard time coming to terms with the gas mileage but I traded in both my car (28 mpg) and my F250 pickup (11 mpg) for this do-it-all vehicle, so I justify it since it about evens out. During the season my bike spends most of it's time in the back of the 4-Runner, with one back seat down and room for a kid on the other side. I only take the bike out if I need the full back seat.

Probably if you needed to get 3 people and 3 bikes you would need to put 2 bikes in the back and one on a rack.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" -Winston Churchill

Honda Element. Bikes can go on top, on the back or INSIDE with one seat folded up (or taken out, like mine usually is). Kid will be well protected by side curtain air bags, it gets 22 mpg, and you can drive it and park it anywhere. Also, it's good for dogs, because it has no carpet (the SC model has carpet, but is also less rough-and-ready than the other models).

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

the element may do it

We looked at one on the lot, and sat in one. Not quite enough room in the passenger cabin for 6'10" boyfriend, but it was close. I heard of a 6'7" guy that has one and is happy with it.

Sounds like you are close to buying a pickup or an SUV. The boyfriend is happy with his 97F150 which he bought new.

I don't know about Toyotas, I never considered one because they seemed overpriced. Though the new FJ1 cruiser may change my mind.

Don't bother looking at Subarus, they won't fit your husband. If Subaru ever makes a bigger vehicle I will be first in line.

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    It needs to be something with some headroom - he's 6'3" - and not too long in the legroom - I'm only 5'4" and I need to be able to drive it, too.

DH is a Toyota fan. I just want reliable and fuel-efficient. DD may inherit it when she's old enough to drive, too, unless she gets my Rav.

Thanks, all!
    Roxy
    You might like the Mazda 5...it's kind of like a small minivan, but pretty spacious. And if the seat position is half as flexible as my Mazda 3, you would love it. I am your height and my hubby is about an inch shorter than your DH. We both fit well in my 3 (which I can't say for his older 626--I have to be eating the steering wheel to reach the shifter and clutch).

I think the Honda Element suggestion is good, too. I had my heart set on one of those at a car show a few years back...it was HUGE on the inside. But the gas mileage was a bit low for a small SUV.

My MIL has a newish Rav 4 that is really quite roomy and even with a V6 she gets good fuel economy...I think almost as good as much much smaller Mazda 3.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I have a Subaru Outback. It gets about 22-25 mpg and the newer ones are even better. When I take one bike (mine) I just leave the back seat down and it slides in without taking off the back wheel. We have even stacked 2 on top of each other with a piece of cardboard in between. With 3 bikes, you would need a rack of some sort. See if it's big enough for your BF. It's a great car that has not had any problems, and I bought it in 2004.
    2007 Ruby Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2004 Bike Friday Crusoe/Specialized Dolce

If I get a new car it will be a Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Put the bikes on the roof and it gets better highway mileage than the Prius- 50 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbottomedgurl View Post
    If I get a new car it will be a Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Put the bikes on the roof and it gets better highway mileage than the Prius- 50 mpg.
    What does it get without the bikes on the roof?

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    You might like the Mazda 5...it's kind of like a small minivan, but pretty spacious. And if the seat position is half as flexible as my Mazda 3, you would love it. I am your height and my hubby is about an inch shorter than your DH. We both fit well in my 3 (which I can't say for his older 626--I have to be eating the steering wheel to reach the shifter and clutch).

I think the Honda Element suggestion is good, too. I had my heart set on one of those at a car show a few years back...it was HUGE on the inside. But the gas mileage was a bit low for a small SUV.

My MIL has a newish Rav 4 that is really quite roomy and even with a V6 she gets good fuel economy...I think almost as good as much much smaller Mazda 3.
    Another one is the Kia Rondo(I did also look at the Mazda5), I'm fairly sure you could get three bikes , three people and their gear in it by stacking the bikes. I likes mine. (haven't had it long enough to comment on the reliability)
    of course you'll be terminally uncool

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    Honda Element. Bikes can go on top, on the back or INSIDE with one seat folded up (or taken out, like mine usually is). Kid will be well protected by side curtain air bags, it gets 22 mpg, and you can drive it and park it anywhere. Also, it's good for dogs, because it has no carpet (the SC model has carpet, but is also less rough-and-ready than the other models).

Karen
    ++++++1!!!!

I LOVE my Element! DH and I usually leave the seats out of the back because it is mostly just the two of us. We can carry 4 bikes inside (if it is just us) or on the roof. Tons of room. Ours gets closer to 25 mpg (local driving, no bikes on top). Oh, and it will carry a 10 ft. Christmas tree completely inside.

BTW, has anyone noticed the new Element ad in Bicycling magazine? About the dog friendly one? Built in ramp, bed and non-spilling water dish. I can't wait to see what one looks like inside!
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

tray

If you get a ute, there's a thread somewhere...(i'll have to find it...) that I posted pics of our bike holder thing that we made. It fits into the tray quite nicely.