Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Hip Bursitis

Hybrid View

Hip Bursitis

I used to be a regular runner, with biking thrown in the mix every now and again. Then a few months ago I started having severe pain in one hip. I was diagnosed with hip bursitis and have been going to physical therapy for several months. The hip pain is gone, but I find myself reluctant to start jogging again for fear it'll cause the bursitis to come back. I was thinking of making biking my regular exercise.

My question is this: does biking aggravate hip bursitis? Does anyone here have hip pain and bike without problems?

I have it, resulting from a broken hip and wearing a 20 lb. gun belt to work every day. I actually think cycling has helped it, and alot of stretching.

I used to always have hip pain when I ran, even back in high school. But I finally asked a doctor a year or so ago (I'm in my late 40s) and was diagnosed with bursitis. She sent me to a physical therapist, who helped me with exercises to stretch a tendon or something, and it helped a LOT.

Biking doesn't bother it at all (I started biking now after physical therapy, but I biked as a kid, too), and now I can run without it seeming to be bothered, but I haven't run much.

I love the way the physical therapist could help me! Maybe ask your physical therapist for advice for your specific problem?

I have it. I did pt, and then started see a massage therapist for trigger point stuff and it is gone. I went every other week last year for 30 mins, stretched, strengthened and viola.

I get bursitis frequently and have damage to both my hip joints from arthritis. Cycling is one of the few things I can do pain free (so long as I don't grind too much going up hills).

Bursitis is always a symptom of something else. Always, always, always.

Bursae don't spontaneously inflame.

You can treat the bursa all you like, and they will feel better. But if you don't address the cause of your bursitis it will always come back. Always, always, always.

Sometimes the cause is chronic, and you just have to look at it as a regular chore like brushing your teeth. "I must always stretch and strengthen these things."

Sometimes it's transient, and you just have to work on it once. "I learned how to support my pelvis and hips properly, and it's been gone ever since."

And sometimes it's some funky structural thing that requires funky structural adaptations like orthotics or shoe lifts.

And for some really lucky folks, it's all of the above!

But everyone I've worked with has found cycling to be a good thing, and sometimes even a very helpful thing.

(including me)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson