Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Organized rides with kids?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been gone for quite a while from the boards, and am getting ready to welcome our first kiddo.

I plan on riding with her when it's age appropriate, but was wondering if (and where) there are any organized rides (centuries, etc) that welcome trailers. My husband and I both ride and we would prefer to have both of us be able to ride instead of one watch the kid, but if that's what we have to do, so be it.

We're in north Florida, but are willing to travel wherever to ride so we're open to any suggestions!

Thanks!

Our MS150 in Columbia, MO welcomes children. We see lots of add-a-bikes and trailers although I can't imagine pulling a child and trailer up those hills but dedicated daddies do it. RAGBRAI in Iowa also has lots of children.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Thanks for the suggestions!

you'll see a lot of trailers at tandem rallies too and you don't need to ride a tandem to participate.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

The Tour du Port ride in Baltimore, MD each October is billed as a family event and I've seen people ride it with trailers. Tho' I think they were hauling their dogs, not kids. The TdP is an excellent ride through a variety of neighborhoods and, depending on the route you choose, includes spots like Fort McHenry and Swallows Point State Park.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

TOSRV is the Original, and lots of families do it. Might be a long drive for a two-day event though.

IME, Florida riders use competitiveness to compensate for the lack of interest in the roads (sorry Floridians) so rides near you may not be very family-friendly. Basically, you don't even sign up for a century unless you're planning to finish it in six hours or less.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    TOSRV is the Original, and lots of families do it. Might be a long drive for a two-day event though.

IME, Florida riders use competitiveness to compensate for the lack of interest in the roads (sorry Floridians) so rides near you may not be very family-friendly. Basically, you don't even sign up for a century unless you're planning to finish it in six hours or less.
    Sounds like if one exceeds 6 hrs., the ride organizers just pack up and don't feed you.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.