Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Pedouins

Pedouins

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is anyone following the Pedouins on their quint-bike? I think they are amazing, traveling from Kentucky to Alaska with 6, 4, and 2 yr old girls. They've had some adventures for sure already, and are facing a tough month as they cross New Mexico and the mountains at this time of year.

I was really awed in a recent post, she mentioned that they left home with only $300 to their name. They paid off all their bills, sold everything, and that's what was left.

I'm so thrilled that they are doing this. I bet they get a lot of flak for letting their kids play in grass and dirt and *gasp* sometimes get a little wet, and for taking risks. Kids aren't made of sugar and a little dirt never hurt me! I hope lots more send them encouraging letters to counter all the nay-sayers and fear-mongers! I love thinking about all the things the kids are learning on this trip! What a fantastic "school".

They call themselves the Pedouins as a play on words...pedaling nomads...like the Bedouin nomads.

Given the storm that's covering that region right now I hope they have somewhere to stay for a while
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Wow! No, I hadn't heard anything about them. I can't imagine taking 3 kids that age to the grocery store and they are going all the way to Alaska! How brave. Thanks for sharing this. I want to follow their journey.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Wow.

This, to me, looks like a large slice of hell. Cold, dirt, kids (don't get me wrong, like kids, have a couple of my own, but dang), lather, rinse repeat. Give me a hotel room and a hot shower. But that's just me.
    More power to em.

I must confess that I would like this a lot better if they were not asking other people to pay for it.

I started reading the blog from the beginning last night. There is nothing in it about the kids being bored or what have you. When they get off the bike, they are usually smack into something new and exciting in their environment, and they make friends very quickly! That ability to hook up with others easily seems to be a trait of the other kid-tourers whose blogs I read. I'm sure it's not all fun and games all the time, but the parents seem all about joyful living, and I think that's very possible with little kids.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Thank you for posting this!

I emailed offering a place to stay, after seeing this post here. Imagine my surprise when my phone rang yesterday morning and it was Bill. We talked for a short bit and he was very thankful for the offer and we will keep in touch as the Pedouins get closer to California.

Brandy, that's awesome! I hope you get to meet them. They will reach New Mexico tomorrow! It seems like they have been in Texas forever.

I've been thinking, a lot, about what Owlice said. At first I wished I hadn't mentioned that they started all this with only $300 (what probably prompted her comment). But the next thing I did was donate on their page. I've been meaning to anyway.

Owlice, I'm not directing the following at you, you are welcome to your own opinion. Thank you for your comment because you made me think. Here is the result, for what it is worth.

I'm willing to pay more than I care to admit for Netflix, cable tv, internet access (some is work, most is social & entertainment).

I find the Pedouins blog highly entertaining. I talk about their progress with my friends and family. It's similar to tv series: what will happen next? When will the next episode air?

And even better than a tv series, I admire them so much. I get so tired of hearing how people can't do things, or won't allow their kids to, because it's not safe, whether it's play outside, play in the dirt, walk to a store after dark or bike down a street. The Pedouins represent the opposite of that crippling cultural fear. Simply by taking this trip they are doing advocacy work.

You can't put a price on that. By donating I'm paying for entertainment and inspiration and supporting a cause.

We pay entertainers solely to entertain us. The Pedouins are just trying to live through their year. They're not going to get rich, like the actors and movie stars.

That's why I'm ok with them asking for money to get them through this year. If they had waited until they could afford it without donations, they'd never start. Or they'd belong to a social class that I wouldn't relate to. Actually? I appreciate the chance to be a tiny part of their journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    Or they'd belong to a social class that I wouldn't relate to.

You had me up until that point.

I was going to drift, but I'll leave it at that...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Melalvai, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. I'm sorry my first post came out so snottily. My comment was not because of your mention of them starting with $300; I went to the site and looked around some, and saw this:

We need your help to make it the whole 7,000 miles. We are looking for you to donate 5 dollars a month for the next 20 months.
    That, and then the whole tone of their website, just rubbed me the wrong way. Kind of disgusted me, actually.

I originally had written more but decided not to post it, and will go back to my Growlery now!

Quote Originally Posted by owlice View Post
    Melalvai, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. I'm sorry my first post came out so snottily. My comment was not because of your mention of them starting with $300; I went to the site and looked around some, and saw this:

That, and then the whole tone of their website, just rubbed me the wrong way. Kind of disgusted me, actually.

I originally had written more but decided not to post it, and will go back to my Growlery now!
    That's funny. I originally skimmed the thing, decided it was too...maybe earthy? for me (just not my cup of tea, call me a princess or whatever) but after this thread I went back and really read it, and I had the same reaction Owlice had. It sounded like they are asking for donations to support their lifestyle (as opposed to asking for donations to help raise money for a charity). I don't know exactly why, but it struck me as sort of a hooray for me, pay for me thing.
    So I am growly too.