Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

December and riding in the mtns :)

To disable ads, please log-in.

Although I know this won't last forever, I had a great ride yesterday! Rode up into one of the smaller mountains, which of course for this time of year, is very unusual! We climbed a logging road for about 4 miles, and since we have had lot of rain lately.... well lots of mud as well. Once we reached the top(2945 elevation) we started riding through some snow. However, the entire route has tremdous views at any given point, so it was a wonderful day. I'm so thankful that we are able to ride in the mtns this time of year, obviously not something that we can generally do.

We went a short way up into the hills today. It was cold but not bitterly cold. We rode some of the Forest Service trails. Some snow and mud. DH & I had a great time! The scenery is gorgeous. I think the higher elevations are too snowy to ride but down lower is still great.

Deb

On "Sliver" my new Giant MTB

December and riding in the mtns

Rode again today, although today the forecast is snow (3-5"). The higher elevations do have snow, although not enough to make you change your plans. It will be interesting to see what tomorrow will bring us

How's the new bike? Do you feel like you are getting fimiliar with it yet? It's always exciting when you have a new bike Although, I'm probably not any faster or handle the terrain any better, it certainly MAKES me feel faster

I'm loving the new bike. I was obsessing about whether or not it was the right size. Sometimes the internet is a good thing. Sometimes it just makes me crazy with having too much information and other people's opinions. Riding some trails put my mind at ease. I love how easily I can go uphill, and having good control downhill. The components are more than adequate for my level of riding. She shifts and brakes wonderfully. I did fall once (not the bike's fault), and my elbow came into contact with a sharp rock. DH is riding his fully rigid High Plains. He's fearless on that bike. I'm a bit more timid. I decided to call her "Sliver." She is silver in color, "sliver" is a common typo for "silver," and MTB riding is getting under my skin.

Deb

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your new bike!!

What I have learned about mtn bikes is that I truly believe that you develop more skill by riding a hardtail. You search for the perfect lines, get your body into position to absorb bumps etc.. With that said, a fully allows you to sit more and simply run over what's in your way (for the most part). I also think you conserve more energy. But reality says that most people acquired their skills on a hardtail, or a bike wothout suspension at all, so enjoy!! Besides, by learning on a hardtail, you'll also learn what it is that you want on your next bike and what you don't!

I have an older fully, and just purchased a hardtail and I have to admit that I'm really enjoying the hardtail

Go Silver Go

I noticed I was really lazy about my biking when I switched from the comfort bike with big tires, a front shock and suspension seatpost to the Kona Dew (fully rigid with skinny tires). I'm much more aware now of the road ahead, using my knees, sitting lightly in the saddle, and being light on the handlebars. These things have come in handy in my beginning mountain biking. I'm not ruling out a fully in the future. This just seemed to be a good way to get started. Those big, fat tires absorb quite a bit of the bumps, too!

Deb

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your new bike!! Keep us posted as to how you and your bike are doing.

Well after receiving about 3" of snow, I thought it was time to go and check out some winter riding trails. Had a great ride yesterday, although it was abit slippery with te new snow, lots of mud underneath and of course ice. But all in all, it was a great ride, and a wonderful area for winter rides.

Hoping maybe to get out a bit this weekend. It has warmed up. Of course, that could mean slippery mud...

Deb

I hope that you are able to get out and ride; it's always a special treat after the work week

Winter has shown its face here, with very cold and windy temps the past couple of days. We do have about 12" snow, so I'm waiting for the snowmobile trails to be groomed then I'll be off and riding again. It will be nice to be able to ride outside and skip a trainer ride

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    I hope that you are able to get out and ride; it's always a special treat after the work week

Winter has shown its face here, with very cold and windy temps the past couple of days. We do have about 12" snow, so I'm waiting for the snowmobile trails to be groomed then I'll be off and riding again. It will be nice to be able to ride outside and skip a trainer ride
    OK - where in ME are you? We have a house in Bethel, and are heading up there either Sun or Mon, and would LOVE to be able to do some snowmobiling (sorry - we just finished race season last weekend, so I don't really want to be on my bike just now).

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

I'm definitely in your area... I'm in Andover. Not sure what the condition of the snowmobile trails are right now, but I'm sure that you'll have fun. I know many of the clubs that groom wait until the second storm before grooming, especially this year with all of the rain we had..

At any rate, have a great time! Are you skiing this w/e as well?

On another subject, have you ever raced the 24hours of Great Glen? I've been pretty been a roadie for the past few years, but after riding my mtn bike again this fall, I'd like another challenge. I've heard great things about the race, both from racers and supporters.
    Last edited by ridebikeme; 12-19-2009 at 03:20 AM.

Looks like with the pending storm, we won't be heading up until Monday now. Of course, we're going to get more snow down here in Metro Boston than up there...

We'll likely ski (skate) some as well. We like going to the Sunday River Inn and to Carters. May head to Jackson as well.

I've never done the 24 Hours of Great Glen, but have ridden the course and have LOTS of friends who LOVE this race. The course is fun, and enough of a challenge with some definite elevation gain. The scene sounds like it is pretty crazy too.

The race I love over there is Porky Gulch. Two miles up Washington, a crit through Storyland, and then a cross race on part of the MTB course. It's always in November, and oh so much fun!

Where's your shop???

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Well, it sounds like you are going to get more snow than we are But as always things will come full circle at some point.

My shop is in Andover. It had been in Rumford for years, but with the mill being sold a number of times, and now eliminating lots of positions... it was smarter to move back to Andover and cut down on costs. So, I definitely down sized, but all in all, it's been evry good. In reality, the area is simply not big enough to support a shop. We have a school contract which helps a great deal, and we manage inventory well. ( like everyone this year)

I will definitely have to check into both races, especially 24 hours of Great Glen. I have horrible knees, so riding cyclocross is out of the question... but sounds like it might be fun to watch.

Enjoy your w/e and have fun skiing!

We went to a cyclocross race today. Didn't ride, but enjoyed watching and cheering. I might ride the course tomorrow when nobody is watching. It's very close to our house.

Deb