Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow

To disable ads, please log-in.

Doesn't look like I'll be riding any time soon. I finally found my car buried under 22" of snow...
    Last edited by RolliePollie; 07-24-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RolliePollie View Post
    Doesn't look like I'll be riding any time soon. I finally found my car buried under 22" of snow...
    Yikes!
    I think you will get enough exercise just clearing the snow from your car.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

We ended up with 27 inches of snow at the house from the big storm! Started snowing Monday morning and ended early Tuesday morning.

Lots of drifting too so it looks deeper in a lot of places. They City plows did not make it to my street yesterday although the storm was done by yesterday morning. I cleaned house and cooked since my Subaru did not have enough clearance to make it out of the neighborhood. 4-5 foot drifts in the road at the end of my driveway!

They finally plowed this morning Wednesday at 5:00 a.m. so I was able to get out and play some tennis indoors and now I'm at work! It really is beautiful; I'll have to get the skis out this weekend.

We had about half a foot as remnants from the storm that demolished the west and midwest. Then, about 11 AM, it turned to rain and is still raining now. There is a lot of ponding on the roads and slush galore. I went out around 12:15 and though everything was plowed, the driving was not fun. By the time I was done with my hair appointment, the roads were much better. Fifty mile an hour winds came through awhile ago and now we are expecting thunderstorms.
    I am so glad I didn't have to drive to work today. People don't get it that 4 wheel drive is not 4 wheel stop! But, I do admit to loving that feeling of being able to ram my car through that big pile of snow the plows leave at the entrance to driveways.
    Spokewrench, I can't believe they wait a day to plow your street. We have plow Nazis around here!
    Last edited by Crankin; 12-09-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    We had about half a foot as remnants from the storm that demolished the west and midwest. Then, about 11 AM, it turned to rain and is still raining now. There is a lot of ponding on the roads and slush galore. I went out around 12:15 and though everything was plowed, the driving was not fun. By the time I was done with my hair appointment, the roads were much better. Fifty mile an hour winds came through awhile ago and now we are expecting thunderstorms.
    I am so glad I didn't have to drive to work today. People don't get it that 4 wheel drive is not 4 wheel stop! But, I do admit to loving that feeling of being able to ram my car through that big pile of snow the plows leave at the entrance to driveways.
    Spokewrench, I can't believe they wait a day to plow your street. We have plow Nazis around here!
    Ah, no money in the coffers = less budget for the snow removal team; and thus not enough to go around!

Here we go again -- potential "major snow event" for the DC area this weekend. Forecasts are still uncertain but we might get 6-12" on Saturday, which is paralyzing for this area. Naturally this is on the only day I can get a desperately-needed haircut before the holidays. Not to mention all the shopping that must get done this weekend in order to be ready before Christmas. Oh and did I mention my hairstylist is at Tysons, which is the epicenter of traffic hell in northern Virginia on a good day?

Not to mention, I was hoping to get the new heat pump installed next week so I could get it done before the end of the year. Can't do that with a foot of snow on the ground.

I know the general forecast for this winter was colder and with more snow than usual, but I was really hoping all that snow would wait until January at least.

On the other hand, our last snowfall was more than they predicted, so maybe this one will be less. Fingers crossed...

Snow in DC is very hard to predict when it's coming up from the Gulf (tho' they're gobs better than when I was growing up there). We've had 100% chance of 6 inches... that was flurries... and the other way around, too.

OUr weather guy in the midwest said a couple weeks ago that el nino was going to give us a mild winter and the east a snowy one. He's lookin' like he's spot on... we got to 39 today and are expecting *maybe* an inch or three from a clipper this weekend. So far torrents better than last year -- we'd had ice storms and snow storms and more ice by now, and *then* things got ugly. I would just as soon *not* break that personal cold record of 11 below...

Quote Originally Posted by Geonz View Post
    Snow in DC is very hard to predict when it's coming up from the Gulf (tho' they're gobs better than when I was growing up there). We've had 100% chance of 6 inches... that was flurries... and the other way around, too.
    Yes right now the forecast is a breakdown of probabilities for different accumulation levels with no real standout for what's likeliest to occur. I remain hopeful for a minor storm. But I will still try to make contingency plans, just in case.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    My side of town is supposed to have a wintery mix, but only 30 miles west of here is supposed to get almost a foot. I have done NO shopping. i might just stick to Heiffer Project, which is great and easy.

Our forecast for Sunday is "we don't know."
    If the storm that's predicted for DC on Saturday veers just a little bit east, we will get a dusting to a couple of inches. If it goes just a little to the west, it will be a major nor'easter.
    I'm glad it's on a Sunday and I really would like to go x country skiing on Wednesday. On the other hand, I would like to be able to do stuff Sunday, too. It's been brutally cold and windy for here, not over 20 degrees F, with incredible wind chill. I've been working out inside for a week, with the exception of a short hike yesterday. We just had no transition between what was a mild fall and January like chill in December.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Yes right now the forecast is a breakdown of probabilities for different accumulation levels with no real standout for what's likeliest to occur. I remain hopeful for a minor storm. But I will still try to make contingency plans, just in case.
    I haven't ridden outside yet this month and was hoping it would happen this weekend, but now I'm very doubtful. All this riding in the basement is starting to wear on my sanity
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Gosh darn it! I am 82 miles behind my husband in mileage for the year (hopefully only 38 miles behind after tomorrow's ride) and just two weeks to catch up and pass him. Considering he's a commuter and geared up with studded snow tires, this is indeed bad news for me! I'll be losing ground steadily! Looks like they are calling for 6-10 here this weekend now and another bigger one later in the week.

I'll get as many miles in as I can tomorrow (brrrr...) before I hit the grocery store for TP and milk like everyone else!
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" -Winston Churchill

I'm praying that the storm moves way east, well off the coast, so we don't get much if anything. We, too, planned to take care of holiday stuff this weekend. Everyone keep your fingers crossed that it turns into a big nothing....

Supposed to start tonight and heavy snow is expected commencing tomorrow at noon.

Around here, 6-12 inches is a big deal, particularly since the local govts are having budget shortfalls and who knows the impact on road clearing services. It'll probably be until Monday before we see a plow or a salt truck in our neighborhood and it's all steep hills...

If it happens, better on a Saturday than a weekday, though.

NY, maybe you can catch the bus to Tysons?

Looks like we're only going to get 1-3 in the NW burbs of Boston, on Sunday.
    Really, it's the perfect time for a storm. I wish it were more.

My son and DIL are flying from San Diego to Philly on the red eye Sat. night. I have a feeling they will end up somewhere else! Thankfully, they will be taking the train up here on the 27th.