Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow

To disable ads, please log-in.

I remember a bad ice storm in Richmond VA -- and a bit of a surprise, too -- but because it happened between Christmas and New Year's, the impact was much less disastrous. (It would have been during school travel.)
    Retailers are probably out there waving that thing eastward as hard as they can...

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    I haven't ridden outside yet this month and was hoping it would happen this weekend, but now I'm very doubtful. All this riding in the basement is starting to wear on my sanity
    Ditto!

Between the rain and snow I haven't been outside for a month either. The long range forecast is for very very chilly temps all next week so whatever falls probably is not going to be leaving quickly.

Stay warm and safe, everyone!
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
    I'm praying that the storm moves way east, well off the coast, so we don't get much if anything. We, too, planned to take care of holiday stuff this weekend. Everyone keep your fingers crossed that it turns into a big nothing....

Supposed to start tonight and heavy snow is expected commencing tomorrow at noon.

Around here, 6-12 inches is a big deal, particularly since the local govts are having budget shortfalls and who knows the impact on road clearing services. It'll probably be until Monday before we see a plow or a salt truck in our neighborhood and it's all steep hills...

If it happens, better on a Saturday than a weekday, though.

NY, maybe you can catch the bus to Tysons?
    I would rather drive myself than be stuck on a bus. I was able to move my haircut from 3 pm up to 9:45 am. Hopefully it will be less bad in the morning.

My big issue is that 6-12 is a useless forecast. Six inches means you can still get around, 12 inches means the region is paralyzed. So we really won't know what we're in for until we wake up tomorrow.

Meanwhile on Monday night I have to go downtown, which means street parking, which means it will be a mess with all the snow piled up from the plows. I don't want to think about it.

Update: two of the three managers I'm working for are not in the office today, and the third told me that it's okay if I get the haircut this afternoon and then work from home over the weekend. So now I can stay home tomorrow. Yay.
    Last edited by ny biker; 12-18-2009 at 08:48 AM.

Now it's 12-24 inches predicted, according to the noon news.

I'm glad it worked out for your haircut!!

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
    Now it's 12-24 inches predicted, according to the noon news.
    Woohoo! I stopped at the store this am to buy all the supplies to make lots of Christmas cookies, so I'll be happy to be stuck at home this weekend. And maybe pull out the cross country skis that haven't seen any action in 22 years! And shovel. I'm from the midwest, and I love to shovel.

This will be Sammy's first big snow, so that will be fun, too. I'm really looking forward to this weekend.

Take it back, DB, take it back!

They also are predicting wind and thunder snow. Let's hope no one loses power.

Schools are closing an hour early here (Raleigh, NC area), and nothing has even fallen from the sky! It does look threatening, though.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    My big issue is that 6-12 is a useless forecast. Six inches means you can still get around, 12 inches means the region is paralyzed.
    Six inches will paralyze DC.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Woohoo! I stopped at the store this am to buy all the supplies to make lots of Christmas cookies, so I'll be happy to be stuck at home this weekend.
    Cookies here too, unless I lose power
    I wish I had some xc skis.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Woohoo! I stopped at the store this am to buy all the supplies to make lots of Christmas cookies, so I'll be happy to be stuck at home this weekend. And maybe pull out the cross country skis that haven't seen any action in 22 years! And shovel. I'm from the midwest, and I love to shovel.

This will be Sammy's first big snow, so that will be fun, too. I'm really looking forward to this weekend.
    Tell ya what, DB.....
    You cross country ski up Sligo Creek, and I'll cross country ski down Sligo Creek and you can give me some cookies at the halfway point!!!

Mmmmmm...cookies....

I am no Tarantino-

I don't know why I find this hilarious but I do.
    The music gives it a certain je ne sais quois
    Last edited by Zen; 12-18-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Six inches will paralyze DC.
    I can still get to work with 6 inches, I've done it before. Arlington is pretty good with snow removal. They're definitely better than DC.

Our forecast is now up to 8-12 inches...

Yipee!!!

12"+ for me! yay! I love snow. Time to break out the rollers.

12"-20" forecasted here. I've been up for 2 hours and already have cabin fever!

Crankin', if your son and daughter in law haven't already changed their flight plans, they might want to do so....