Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 271

Thread: Snow

  1. #256
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    92

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    We've got a good bit of snow up here in northern Holland. I've been using my mountain bike to cycle to the bus station in the mornings as there's lots of snow, slush and ice on the bike paths and back roads near where I live.

  2. #257
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    1,993
    Heard on the news last night that this is expected to be the coldest winter since 1985! I remember that one well, as I was in my last semester at WVU and had to walk a mile to/from campus (it was snowy that year, too).

  3. #258
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    931
    Snow/fall in Gent...

    I hope you can watch this one: http://www.een.be/programmas/man-bijt-hond/sneeuwgeval

    And for the woman with the red/black striped shawl: smoking is not good for you!
    Last edited by papaver; 01-05-2010 at 02:15 AM.

  4. #259
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by papaver View Post
    Snow/fall in Gent...

    I hope you can watch this one: http://www.een.be/programmas/man-bijt-hond/sneeuwgeval

    And for the woman with the red/black striped shawl: smoking is not good for you!
    Wow that was too funny!!! I couldn't contain my laughter here at work so a few colleagues watched it too. Glad I'm not the only one slipping and sliding around city streets!

  5. #260
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,867
    I didn't find that video too terribly funny. Every time I saw an elderly person I was afraid they would fall and hit their head. So many people slip on ide and hit their heads and die from the head injury. If that many people would fall in the course of however long the camera was there, how many fell and actually got hurt? And what of the property owner or government who should has some liability and should maybe salt the patch of ice?

    Don't get me wrong...I love America's Funniest Home Videos, but I didn't like that one.

    Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

  6. #261
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    I didn't find that video too terribly funny. Every time I saw an elderly person I was afraid they would fall and hit their head. So many people slip on ide and hit their heads and die from the head injury. If that many people would fall in the course of however long the camera was there, how many fell and actually got hurt? And what of the property owner or government who should has some liability and should maybe salt the patch of ice?

    Don't get me wrong...I love America's Funniest Home Videos, but I didn't like that one.

    Karen

    They use A LOT of salt but that doesn't always help. But what surprises me the most is that people still wear high heels in this weather.

  7. #262
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    8,769
    I didn't find it amusing either.
    In fact, I had to stop watching.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

  8. #263
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    10,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    I didn't find it amusing either.
    In fact, I had to stop watching.
    As did I - and I do not understand why so many high heels!

  9. #264
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,867

    Back to snow

    Supposed to snow again tomorrow night. 1-4". All our roads are clear, 1-2 inches on the grass, but it is bitter cold. Predicting -6F on Thursday night. That's frikkin cold in my neck of the woods! I went and bought replacement weather stripping for all my doors tonight. It was cold work; hope it makes a difference. Even replaced the doggie door, since the magnet has broken off and wind just blows the flap open.

    That's another thing...40 mph sustained winds predicted. This is not a typical Arkansas winter. Lots of people will have a rough go of it. Both my next-door neighbors had different HVAC companies working on their furnaces ALL day (sounds expensive). One of the technicians is a friend of mine, so I texted him that I was going to go change the filter in my furnace, to keep them at bay. It would not be good to have furnace trouble this week.

    Karen, shivering at the thought
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

  10. #265
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    and I do not understand why so many high heels!
    My point exactly.

  11. #266
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    5,203
    I got my mom Yak Trax for Christmas. She says they work great on ice. I'm going to get some for myself. Too bad they don't make them for pooches! It's like having studded shoes.

    I found my studded tires in my storage shed. Unfortunately, I no longer have the mountain bike that they were on, though.

  12. #267
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I found my studded tires in my storage shed. Unfortunately, I no longer have the mountain bike that they were on, though.
    This sounds like a great excuse to buy a new one.

  13. #268
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I got my mom Yak Trax for Christmas. She says they work great on ice. I'm going to get some for myself. Too bad they don't make them for pooches! It's like having studded shoes.

    I found my studded tires in my storage shed. Unfortunately, I no longer have the mountain bike that they were on, though.
    My Mom has Yak Trax too and loves them when she's shoveling her hilly driveway. Wouldn't mind having a pair myself right now. The sidewalks in the city might as well be skating rinks!

  14. #269
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by krisl6 View Post
    My Mom has Yak Trax too and loves them when she's shoveling her hilly driveway. Wouldn't mind having a pair myself right now. The sidewalks in the city might as well be skating rinks!
    A really silly trick but it works: put old socks over your shoes.

  15. #270
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by papaver View Post
    A really silly trick but it works: put old socks over your shoes.
    Yes that does sound silly, but I'm willing to try anything at this point to stay upright. It's a bit scary out there!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •