Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    if you carry spare tubes, you can hopefully not need a patch kit.
    Like CO2 cartridges, intact tubes are a one-shot deal. No matter how many tubes someone carries, there's no guarantee that they won't have another flat. Carry a patch kit for the same reason you carry a pump, whether a full-sized frame pump or a back-up mini-pump.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by IFjane View Post
    I carry an old Road Morph and love it - it has saved me and other cyclists for years now.
    My very first bike is ready for me to pick up tomorrow I have my list of tools and accessories to pick up, and the Road Morph pump is on my list. I am hoping that it will fit my frame, but we will see tomorrow. My spinning instructor who is helping me with all of this has said that he finds most mini-pumps to be "mini-air". The bike is a Trek 7.6 FX WSD.

My bike can't take a frame pump, which is what I prefer to use as I can actually get real air out of it without pumping all day. Cartridges don't cut it with me, too 'all-or-nothing' and yea not environmentally sound. Not just the 'throw away' or the packaging. Also the energy to make just for one use, the energy to package and ship (over and over as it is one-shot and buy another), and the energy it takes to recycle (over and over.) Sorry, not for me.

So I put aside my carbon frame pump and bought a Topeak DX MasterBlaster. It fits in a holder that attaches next to the water bottle cage, is light weight, and works well enough for a mini. However, I am looking for something a little bigger that fits the same way, to cut down on the pumping time. I think the Road Morph attaches similarly, so you should be able to get it mounted to the bike.

A real floor pump can't be beat for getting the bike prepped for a ride; I consider the frame pump an emergency tool.

You need to post pictures of your new bike when you get it! I know that when I went to pickup my new bike a few weeks ago I was bouncing off the walls!
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

The new bike comes home tomorrow

Here is my final list of tools and accessories, does this look complete enough for a beginner?

• Helmet
    • Tire changing kit that
    • Inner tube that will fit a 700x28c tire
    • Road Morph Air Pump
    • multi-tool for adjusting things
    • Seat-post bag
    • Light
    • Bell
    • Bottle Cage (two?)
    • Car rack IF needed
    • Lock/security
    • Bike Lock for car rack if I get one

I am going to hold off on a patching kit until I actually learn how to do that, and in March I will get clipless pedals and a cycle computer. I want to finish learning how to ride before changing pedals!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    I use a CO2/pump combo all-in-one. It lets me use the pump to shape up the tube before I put it in the tire, and also check to make sure the pump's on the valve, then let the CO2 go to pump it up.
    me too

Gloves. Even a minor fall can result in road rash on unprotected hands.

I've never used a Road Morph pump - but given that one poster has described it as "cumbersome," you may still want a floor pump. Maybe give it a try at the LBS, compare it to a floor pump, and decide for yourself whether you want to use the Morph every time you air your tires (i.e. before every ride). If the Morph doesn't have a tire gauge, then you need a gauge, too - most floor pumps have the convenience of a built-in gauge.

Tools are much the same as pumps. You definitely want a compact multi-tool that you can carry on your bike, for adjustments and repairs that can't wait. But full-sized tools are much easier to use (and have much less chance of damaging your fasteners).

For minor adjustments at home, you likely already have everything you need: 4, 5 and possibly 6 mm Allen wrenches (preferably T-handled, but hex keys will do); #1 and #2 Phillips screwdrivers; pliers; and, if there's anything carbon fiber on your bike, a decent low-range torque wrench with 4 and 5 mm hex (Allen) sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    ....if there's anything carbon fiber on your bike, a decent low-range torque wrench with 4 and 5 mm hex (Allen) sockets.
    The bike has a carbon fork - I know I am showing my ignorance here - but is there anything there that I might need to adjust? If so, then I will look for the low-range torque wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    The bike has a carbon fork - I know I am showing my ignorance here - but is there anything there that I might need to adjust?
    Not unless the steerer tube is carbon, in which case you'll need to be careful not to over-tighten the stem - but most likely it's alloy. You're right, I was overly broad - I was thinking of frame, handlebars, stem and seatpost.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Gloves. Even a minor fall can result in road rash on unprotected hands.

I've never used a Road Morph pump - but given that one poster has described it as "cumbersome," you may still want a floor pump. Maybe give it a try at the LBS, compare it to a floor pump, and decide for yourself whether you want to use the Morph every time you air your tires (i.e. before every ride). If the Morph doesn't have a tire gauge, then you need a gauge, too - most floor pumps have the convenience of a built-in gauge.

Tools are much the same as pumps. You definitely want a compact multi-tool that you can carry on your bike, for adjustments and repairs that can't wait. But full-sized tools are much easier to use (and have much less chance of damaging your fasteners).

For minor adjustments at home, you likely already have everything you need: 4, 5 and possibly 6 mm Allen wrenches (preferably T-handled, but hex keys will do); #1 and #2 Phillips screwdrivers; pliers; and, if there's anything carbon fiber on your bike, a decent low-range torque wrench with 4 and 5 mm hex (Allen) sockets.
    There is a version of the Road Morph which does have a gauge...it's the Road Morph G. We have the "G" pump, and while the gauge does provide somewhat of an idea on PSI...I wouldn't rely heavily on it. Out on the road, in an emergency...it does the job. But I would still STRONGLY recommend a dedicated floor pump to top-off your tires at home before every ride. FWIW, we use the Topeak Joe Blow Sport floor pump...works great, with a nice big gauge, and reasonably-priced at Performance Bike.

In the end, I went with a Blackburn Mammoth Mountain frame Pump that they are attaching to my bike along with everything else, and a dedicated Blackburn floor pump for my apartment. The head bike mechanic, my cycling instructor, and a couple of others convinced me that this would work better for me in the long-term

I did purchase the bike today, but I don't get to bring it home until Sunday afternoon. I couldn't stick around for them to attach everything to the bike (bottle cage/pump/lights/etc), and I am traveling tomorrow - so it will be Sunday afternoon. However, that is only the day after tomorrow - and I will get a picture when I bring my beautiful new steed home!

Great Catrin! I think you did the right thing with the two pump approach. I've had a Blackburn Mammoth for about 10 years and it's still kicking, and now sits on my new MTB. Good choice. And a floor pump is the best way to go for pre-ride setup. If I am driving somewhere to go riding, I take mine in case I discover an issue when I get there.

Take the time to learn how to use a real patch kit (not the ones with the self stick patches like Park, but the one with the tube of glue.) It will save you money to be able to re-use a tube that has a small puncture. If done right, the patch is stronger than the rest of the tube so I have no qualms with using a patched tube. It also give a bit of peace of mind, to know that you have a backup plan on those worst of rides where you get multiple punctures.

As far as "• Bottle Cage (two?)" goes, I have two bottle cages and usually take two bottles, because I tend to drink a lot while riding and the summer here can get quite hot. Also gives me the option to use an energy type drink in the second bottle on longer rides. If I am riding where there are lots of places to replenish I can get by with one bottle but I end up wishing I had the energy drink anyway.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

pumps, etc.

Back to the pump talk. I use a Crank Bro's hand pump that has a dual head for both schrader & presta valves. It comes with a guage and has a great mounting system. It's a bit tricky to figure out at first, but once you watch the video on-line it's pretty easy to use.

PDW has also come out with a hand pump called the magic flute that is a pump and it has a CO2 valve which could be handy. Their products are made really well. The guys who started it used to be product developers for Planet Bike.

The Morph sounds like a good choice though. I may have to get one for my winter bike set-up.

You should check in your area and see if there are any women specific mechanic classes. It's kind of nice because they are usually all newbies and you learn tons of great info on how to properly maintain your bike. It's also nice to be with other women. I sometimes notice that some, not all, of the bike shops I go to have guys staffers who can be a bit..err condescending.

I would maybe search through different bike clubs and they could guide you in the right direction.

Enjoy your ride!