Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Downhill fear

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritamarie View Post
    Isn't something wrong with your bike if it is shimmying?
    Not necessarily. Shimmying is otherwise known as speed wobble
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Fear of Downhill

Hi,

I really feel for you!

I used to be a fearless rider, I loved going down steep hills, bumps etc. Then I had my baby. I hadn't ridden in 11 months and the 1st ride was great until downhill. I froze, braked, and put my foot down. I don't know what happened. I had a panic attack. I don't do that. What is going on? I had a downhill wreck a few years prior and broke my nose, skinned myself up pretty bad and just jumped back on my bike and was fine.

I wish there was an easy solution. I"m still trying to go down small hills without braking, but when the long ones come along, my fear is in full bloom. This is totally crazy and not rational.

I've never liked bridges, doesn't matter if walking, riding or cycling. I still won't stop on one if I can help it - don't like to feel it moving. But one day a few years ago, I started to have mild panic attacks, holding my breath, almost wanting to scream, when driving or riding across, and could not walk across. And here in Portland, it's hard avoiding bridges :-) Flying never bothered me before, but I became scared to death if the plane bounced even a little. Always loved downhills on my bike, but found I had become very nervous, and slowed on my downhills. Had lots of other things going on as well, so mentioned things at a yearly doc checkup. He tested my thyroid function and found I have Hashimoto's. After about 6 months on thyroid pills, symptoms started to subside, along with the fear and panic attacks. Also, no longer afraid when flying, and again, I absolutely love to go downhill fast on my bike.

When I first got into cycling, a friend who used to race motorcycles gave me advice that helped:
    - the most important being to keep the upper body relaxed, and not have a death-grip on the handlebars. Hold on enough to have control, but the more tense you are, the harder it is to control the bike. It is especially true on the recumbent. The tighter your grip, the more wobbly the front wheel, no matter if it's uphill or down.
    -only increase your speed gradually, as you get used to it. If you reach a speed that you can't seem to go any faster, that might be your speed. No need to be ashamed of it, learn to enjoy that speed. If you don't enjoy it, drop 1 or 2 mph.
    -on a downhill, you need to always pay attention, no looking off to watch the horses playing in the field so you miss a turn in the road (oops - been there, done that - good thing I was only going 22mph - deep gravel just stopped the bike when tires sank into it, fell over sideways, no injuries, except to my pride).
    - if you have a friend who is good at descending, ask them to lead you, but at your speed. Follow their lines through the corners, mimicing their body position on the bike. Then have them follow you, so they can see what you are doing, how you are riding, and they can give advice, things for you to maybe change or try.
    - practice, practice, practice - as you become more comfortable going down on a familiar hill, that feeling will help you on new hills.

I'm known to be one of the faster descenders in our group. But I don't go beyond my ability to control the bike. My longwheelbase bike rides like it is a sled on rails. On Tour BC a month ago, I hit a new PR for speed - 56.3 mph on a 3/4 mile long downhill, straight, gradual curve at the bottom, no side roads until the bottom, light wind but no gusts. An absolute rush. I haven't crashed at speed and hope I never do.

Sorry this post is so long,
    Edna

I noticed that I had posted on this awhile back. Now I can go downhill a little faster than before (30mph). Another cyclist told me to put your weight farther back on the saddle when going down a steep grade and that seems to help.

I actually go slower when the grade is very steep than when it is a little less formidable. When it's really steep (and curvy), I brake frequently. My hands tend to hurt from braking on these giant descents. I am not interested in missing a curve and flying over the bike or hitting a pothole.

When it's gentle and I can see where I am going, I can just enjoy the downhill without braking at all. Perhaps you can find some nice gentle downhill to practice on and start to conquer your fear.
    2007 Ruby Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2004 Bike Friday Crusoe/Specialized Dolce

I don't have time to read this whole thread but am looking forward to what others have to say. I'm terrified of descending - I would much rather climb up than come down. So you're sooooooooo not alone!

downhill fear follow up to Soleil6

To Soleil6 - did you get over your fear? I'd like to know since I have this issue now.

I am new at cycling so I don't go downhill too fast either.

However, I do know that riding on the "drops" gives me better brake control. I also watch very carefully for bumps/objects in the road and will only go as fast as I feel comfortable scanning the road for objects. I used to go downhill at only about 5mph and now, probably at 20mph. This increased speed occurred over the course of 2months because I am also a downhill weenie. I was told to keep my pedals level for better control and ability to squeeze my seat between my thighs if needed.

Also, I only recently learned how to make turns correctly. When making a rt turn, keep left leg down at 6:00 position and when making a left turn, keep rt leg down at 6:00 position.

I am sure that if you start at your comfortable downhill speed, you will go faster and faster when you are ready.

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle
    TigerMom is offline Reply With Quote
    Unread Today, 09:45 AM

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
    Also, I only recently learned how to make turns correctly. When making a rt turn, keep left leg down at 6:00 position and when making a left turn, keep rt leg down at 6:00 position.
    It also helps if you point the knee of the other leg outward while you turn.

I think the way you are descending sounds right -- go at the speed you're comfortable with and gradually gain confidence.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles