Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

November 26 Thanksgiving Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know it is only Thanksgiving in the US.

I took my roadie out for a 16 mile ride this morning. The weather in Texas is fantastic, chilly for me but not too cold. I have hardly done any riding this year so my legs and lungs were burning but I feel so great. Now to go set the table for my family coming over.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

November 26th is my father's birthday. he would have been 89 years old today. And it's thanksgiving too.
    My husband had a goal of 11,111.11 miles for the year. He wanted to ride to toppot donuts and back to buy some maple bars for his avatar on bike journal....
    anyway, turns out it rained hard all night, upwards of 1/2" of rain and as it got light this morning, it was still raining and 47 degrees F. And me, all I want to do is sit around in my warm office and paint. But Raleighdon is so excited because not only will he make his goal today, but I will make mine. 2500 miles if i get on my bike. But wait, I don't have my bike. My Davidson is half taken apart to go to the shop and my Raleigh Mixte is IN the shop getting set up so I can ride while the other is being repaired. But that doesn't slow down Raleighdon. He's convinced that I can ride his 1990 Raleigh that he just set up as a winter bike, so we can ride together to go downtown and back so he can buy these dumb donuts. So he adjusts the bike by putting my saddle on it, raising the handlebars, gives me a two minute lesson on bar end shifters, and we're off. We headed down the hill in the rain and it was pretty easy until we got to where we had to take the left lane and turn left. The entire road was covered with water about 2" high. Waves were coming from either direction from the wheels of cars. I was absolutely terrified but i knew the only way out of that one was to pedal straight ahead. The big fat tires on this bike were awesome, and I got to the other side never losing my balance, never slipping. We rode 17 miles round trip.

Last edited by Biciclista; 11-26-2009 at 11:10 AM.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Mimi,

You guys are amazing. And your husband is an animal

happy holidays.

------------
    Mimi's post and Mr. R's enthusiasm got me going so I went for an easy ride later in the afternoon. Very warm and very dry. Emptied out my water bottles. LaGrange club rider rode by and joined me for part of the ride. He was going to turkey dinner in Orange county. 50 miles from where we were. He was very pleasant and I enjoyed riding with the young man.
    Last edited by smilingcat; 11-26-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added my ride info

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Ralieghdon's avatars are FAMOUS on BikeJournal!!
    I'm sure that 3rd picture will soon show up there, yes?
    Well, I have to hand it to you guys for riding. I guess out in your neck o' the woods, you take it that the rain just comes with the territory.
    DH and I woke up bright and early, expecting to ride the N2 to Poolesville today. A good "tummy emptier" as a friend said, to prepare for the holiday. But, our 3 days of rain had ended with a dense fog advisory this morning. Wet roads. Low visibility. Every traffic camera we checked was socked in with fog. Hmmmmm....maybe a later ride would be good. But...we ended up giving in to riding the rollers. I added some time on the rowing machine and ski machine and some free weights add as an added measure.
    Happy Thanksgiving, all.

7 rider, i have all the gear. Rain pants with booties; wool knickers and wool kneesocks underneath
    Wool bra, wool longsleeved teeshirt underneath my jersey and showers pass raincoat. Wool liner gloves under wool gloves.
    Little wool hat that covers my ears. Sit all that on a Brooks saddle, and you're good so long as temperatures are above freezing.

I don't like riding in fog either.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Mimi, your ride report makes me homesick for Seattle.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    DH and I woke up bright and early, expecting to ride the N2 to Poolesville today. A good "tummy emptier" as a friend said, to prepare for the holiday. But, our 3 days of rain had ended with a dense fog advisory this morning. Wet roads. Low visibility. Every traffic camera we checked was socked in with fog. Hmmmmm....maybe a later ride would be good. But...we ended up giving in to riding the rollers. I added some time on the rowing machine and ski machine and some free weights add as an added measure.
    Happy Thanksgiving, all.
    7 - I attempted to ride in that pea soup.... let the house before sunrise and could not see (despite my L&M super bright headlight--tried low, medium, high beam and nothing cut through it). I was getting soaked but more importantly, it was deadly dangerous particularly with the wet pavement & leaves. I abandoned the ride after about 12 miles and came home for some Have Mercy, The Sequel on my trainer!

It's now after 16:00 and still a bit soupy. So much for the predicted sunshine that would burn off the fog. And the final indignity---MORE RAIN predicted for tonite, then it's turning cold.

I'm planning to spend a long session in the pool tomorrow morning and do a recovery session with Coach Troy (ABB VI is becoming a favorite). Post-Thanksgiving Brick Workout. I did lots of carbo loading, as I loooove mashed potatoes!!!! And I had three slices of TE pi (new shorts! saved a bundle)

Hope everyone had a great T'giving and those of you who could ride outside, I hope your rides were excellent. Mimi, congrats on meeting your goal. I hope you celebrated w/one of those donuts.
    Last edited by Selkie; 11-26-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Hey Mimi- that sounds like an adventure and a half. My husband & I went out for 24 mile ride up to the Tucson foothills this morning, but our weather was much more congenial. It was mild though breezy, with some gusts between 20 and 30.

Speaking of bikes in the shop, I was happy to be back on my road bike today, which had been in the shop to get a cable replaced. They didn't call me to say it ready, so I was compelled to try out my recently acquired 1983 Nishiki mixte on my mid-week rides. For a 25 year old bike it was surprisingly easy and enjoyable to ride.

Sharon

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    A memorable, signature ride, Mimi for both of you. Guess that rain stopped later. Pics look great. You look barely recognizable in those particular photos.

Appreciate Raleighdon's enthusiasm to meet his annual goal.
    Dearie (Jack) is nearly as fanatical as R. to track and meet a particular annual goal. Not as much as R. this year...only 10,000 kms.

But am certain R. must be like a used car like J. ....over 110,000 total kms. in past 18 yrs. of cycling. R. probably reached that within a shorter span of yrs., correct?
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

In Nashville visiting my brother and his family, but did bring the bikes. I'd driven down on Tuesday with the bikes and our son, but hubby couldn't take Tues & Wed off work. Flew in late (after 11pm last night), slept in, got a late start, and were only able to do a short ride.

Nashville hills are worse than home ones. Just the 7 mile ride wore me out (I have some real, uh, opportunities with fitness and hills). Esp. because 6 miles into the ride this dragging noise I kept hearing made me pull over. My front brakes were semi closed and dragging (we'd checked air in the tires but not brakes). No wonder I was struggling so much with the hills and feeling like I had no power! Tried to make some adjustments, will have to do more tomorrow. It was a nice ride- but really made me appreciate all the bike lanes around Milwaukee. Not so much here.

The frustrating thing on the ride was one particularly steep hill. I got off. First time I've actually not powered my way to the top. I was going so slow, I was freaking about falling over, not getting out of my pedals. I think that mental block is my biggest fear with hills and the clipless pedals.

Tomorrow we're gonna ride the Natchez Trace - a bit nervous about the hills...we'll see!

Mmi, Amazed by both of your mileage numbers for the year. Congrats on making your goal!

great sunny day in colorado. took the doggies out for a 6 mile run this morning. got back to the house and put all the holiday meal together, got turkey in the oven and took a 13 mile bike ride. it was a nice 50 degree day. got back home to eat and not feel too guilty about it.

happy thanksgiving.

Beautiful day here, low 80s, warm sun.
    My Brother and I went out riding in Big Sycamore State park, just off the beach in sunny SoCal. Any time you can ride a canyon in from the beach and it's not 100f once you are out of earshot of the waves is a good ride. Then we went to the folks and had a great dinner. Mom even got the turkey right as it was not her signature dry for a change. Perfect stuffing.

Now I am sitting here feeling sleepy. Dog is mad we did not give him turkey, but it's bad for dogs you know. Normally we buy him a chicken breast but he is on a diet, so he just stares at us after we give him a little cookie (with glucosamine in it.)
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

I'm a bad mama then. My goldens got some of my salmon, a bite of "daddy's" turkey, and a couple servings of sweet potatoes (for the fiber, of course, and beta carotene)!

Ride of 27 miles with a 4.5 mile hike in the middle. Beautiful woodland hike with excellent views at one point. Nice scenic riding with some interesting hills and good views. A most excellent Thanksgiving.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72