Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Anyone doing the Red Poppy Ride?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm trying to decide if I want to do this.. but I don't want to do it alone!

I was probably just going to do the 28 mile route.. even though the metric goes right by my house, I don't know if I could really get myself ready for that in a month

Darn, DH will be racing. A few years back I did the ACA Armadillo (in my backyard) and one of the rest stops was organized by the Red Poppy people. They were so energetic and fun. One saw me coming out of a porta potty and quickly ran over to offered me hand sanitizer. They also were cheering loudly and had cow bells. You're never alone on a ride as big as this one go for it!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Thanks Amanda.. bummer you can't join me.

I've decided to go for it, and to go for the metric too. If I can't do it, I can't, but I won't really know unless I push myself! I know without hesitation I can do the 28.. but then that feels like taking the easy way out. The plan for this weekend is to try for 35 miles or so and then bump that up 10 miles each weekend. If I know at the start that I can't do the metric I can always choose a different route.

At least I'm already super familiar with the area.. that should make it a little easier

Well I talked to DH, we have to leave that afternoon for his race but he thinks I should do it. I am way out of riding shape, so three weeks to kick my butt? I have done numerous metrics (it is my favorite distance) but this will be like the first time! I haven't ridden over 50 miles in about a year. You still want some possibly pokey company?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I am pokey.. so yay

I am going to sign up for the metric I think.. I may change my mind the day of the ride though...so if you're not feeling up for it, and I'm not, we can do a shorter one