Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How, exactly, do we develop bike butt?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know that with time and consistenty miles every rider becomes more comfortable in the saddle (assuming their saddle is a good fit for their body), but how does this happen? I asked DH and he wasn't really sure how/why this happens. Is it simply a matter of nerves giving up complaining? Or do we develop calluses or bursas or something?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Don't know the answer to this one but it does happen. As I have gotten comfortable riding 70+ miles on the bike for days in a row, I have noticed something odd. I can no longer sit comfortably in a movie theater or car for extended time. I think in my case it is due to the loss of padding on my backside.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"~John F. Kennedy

Ooh, I hope I can lose some padding on my own backside...and frontside, and sideside!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

For us, we had to just keep riding through the discomfort. There is a distinction between discomfort and pain. During the end of a century ride the snack stops are welcomed because we need to give the butt a rest by that time.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    If your weight is properly born by mostly your two sitbones, then they will adjust to the additional pressure after a couple weeks of steady riding. Sitbone soreness is expected at first, just like when you ride a horse for the first few times.

If, however, if the pain or numbness comes from your soft tissues or your 'girl parts', then those parts will NOT adjust well and riding through the pain can damage your nerves over time. If pain/burning etc continues in your soft parts or in the front area, then you need to change something.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    If your weight is properly born by mostly your two sitbones, then they will adjust to the additional pressure after a couple weeks of steady riding. Sitbone soreness is expected at first, just like when you ride a horse for the first few times.

If, however, if the pain or numbness comes from your soft tissues or your 'girl parts', then those parts will NOT adjust well and riding through the pain can damage your nerves over time. If pain/burning etc continues in your soft parts or in the front area, then you need to change something.
    DH could never understand why I loathed my clunky Schwinn mtn. bike, aside from the fact that it weighted a ton and was slow.

I kept telling him that no matter the seat/seat position my girl bits went numb and were in serious pain within a half mile. He thought I was pulling his leg.

Yesterday we did 30 miles on my new road bike (with new wider, firmer saddle than what came on the bike) and I had little more than mild discomfort. We probably need to tip my saddle back just a hair, since I had some issues with sliding forward, but other than that my butt was pretty happy and doesn't hurt today.

It's still a mystery how cyclists' butts adapt to riding. It's not like it's muscles that are being strengthened. The mechanism behind adapting to a bike saddle simply with riding over time still seems perplexing.

DH's theory is that as a cyclist gets stronger they put more of their weight on their legs and less on their rear-end...is that a logical theory?

I think the biggest issue with my mountain bike was that it was poorly fit (a teenage kid sold us the bike...reputable shop, but we should have had the kid's dad do the fitting). I should have had a size smaller. No saddle would help with that.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    DH's theory is that as a cyclist gets stronger they put more of their weight on their legs and less on their rear-end...is that a logical theory?
    Well, my butt gets a lot more sore on recreational family rides where we're moseying around looking at the scenery than on training rides where I use my legs a lot. That's mostly because my bikes are set up for training rides with a fairly bent-over position, but I can tell a difference between slow "easy" training rides and fast in-and-out of the saddle rides.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I rode six months trying to get used to a saddle that didn't fit me. Your body does not adapt to a saddle that doesn't fit, no matter how hard you try. It is worth the money to invest in a saddle that your sit bones sit on. Now I can ride 100 miles on my saddle. When I swapped bikes I kept the saddle. It is nothing special as far as saddles go - it's a stock saddle from a Specialized Dolce. But it fits me perfectly.

If you are getting sores or blisters, I would recommend shopping for a new saddle.
    I can do five more miles.

Quote Originally Posted by indigoiis View Post
    I rode six months trying to get used to a saddle that didn't fit me. Your body does not adapt to a saddle that doesn't fit, no matter how hard you try. It is worth the money to invest in a saddle that your sit bones sit on. Now I can ride 100 miles on my saddle. When I swapped bikes I kept the saddle. It is nothing special as far as saddles go - it's a stock saddle from a Specialized Dolce. But it fits me perfectly.

If you are getting sores or blisters, I would recommend shopping for a new saddle.
    I knew right away that the stock saddle on my Cdale Synapse (I think it's called Raven?) was too narrow. From measuring that saddle it appears to be 120-130cm at its widest, squishy, and not flat in the back. I think my sit bones are closer to 130-140. I purchased a Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow, which is wider, flatter, and firmer. Felt like a dream compared to the stock saddle...which I am suspecting is a men's/unisex seat.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I kinda thought you were referring to the nice rounded non-saggy biker butts. How long till you develop that

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by snowroo View Post
    I kinda thought you were referring to the nice rounded non-saggy biker butts. How long till you develop that

Melissa
    In my case it will probably be a long while. I have been running for 4 years and still don't have a runner's physique.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

yeah, I want the small round tight bike butt! even running 25-35 miles a week I never got that.

I'm waiting to see how I adjust to my new saddle. So far no pain, just some initial discomfort when I first mount, but after a minute or two it's gone. I haven't ridden a long one yet, I'm curious how the butt holds up at 15-20 miles

Quote Originally Posted by GrassyRidge View Post
    yeah, I want the small round tight bike butt! even running 25-35 miles a week I never got that.

I'm waiting to see how I adjust to my new saddle. So far no pain, just some initial discomfort when I first mount, but after a minute or two it's gone. I haven't ridden a long one yet, I'm curious how the butt holds up at 15-20 miles
    Don't feel bad...I peaked at 55 miles/week prior to my most recent marathon and I am just as squishy as ever. I am sure a small round tight butt is under that fluff somewhere! If I reigned-in the appetite I'm sure I could find it.

Yep, my saddle "issues" sound like yours. Just some tenderness around my sit bones when I first get on. Doesn't really bother me once I get going. I don't know if that's because the fun endorphins kick-in, or what.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post

Yep, my saddle "issues" sound like yours. Just some tenderness around my sit bones when I first get on. Doesn't really bother me once I get going. I don't know if that's because the fun endorphins kick-in, or what.
    It is totally like what someone said above - when you first get on the bike, tons of weight (well, maybe not "tons"!!) is on your sit bones. But then when you get going, you shift your weight forward a bit to get the weight of your hips over your pedals, then, as you really get going, you are just lightly perched on/over the saddle with most of your weight on (and through) your legs for maximal power on the downstroke.

The only time that this isn't true (for me, anyway) is at the end of a long ride and/or when fatigue starts to set in. Then weight naturally shifts back to the sit bones and my bum starts hurting again - need to make a conscious effort sometimes not to let that happen :-)

my husband has one of those. It is mind blowing to see that cute derriere on the back side of a 58 year old man!!!!!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi