Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Differences betweek Trek FX Bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi There!

Another newbie here with more newbie questions. So, not to be rude, first a little about myself. I'm a Mom with two children (a 13 yo daughter and a 10 yo son) and a husband. I grew up riding my bike all over the place. I love riding a bike for recreation and it must be in my blood because my family is originally from the Netherlands (although I was born in the States). I barely remember buying my last bike that I bought in my early 20s (I think) and I am in my 40s now. Over the past 10 years I have been riding a mountain bike off and on, mostly off. So, now I am ready to buy a new bike. I want it to ride around with my kids, but also take out for longer bike rides for exercise while they are at school.

I went to my LBS and they wanted to sell me the Trek Navigator or Trek 7100. In doing more research, I found that many people really like the Trek FX series. So today I went and test rode some more bikes, this time the FX series and compared them to the Trek 7100.

So, now my question is, I read in other posts that there is a big difference between the 7.6 FX, 7.5 FX, & 7.3 FX and that some of you use them for different purposes. What might that be? I was looking at the 7.3 FX or 7.2 FX. What would you use that for? Even the Trek website does not address this. I have read a lot of reviews that the seat is uncomfortable. Maybe I can upgrade that to a more comfortable seat. Any suggestions?

I have also read that some of you have the 7.3 FX (or what ever number) and say that it was a great starter bike. For that reason I think that I should go with the FX series and not the Trek 7100. I don't see myself as getting into racing or the need for a road bike soon. I want to buy a bike and have it last a while. If I buy a Trek 7100 I may be more likely to want to upgrade after a short time than if I were to buy a 7.3 FX. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I would love your input on anything at all.

Thanks so much,

Marianne

I have a trek wsd 7.6, I went and test rode a 7.4, 7.5 and 7.6 and found a pretty big difference in them. I love the carbon fork and how light my 7.6 is, and the shock absorber under the seat makes for a very comfortable ride. I hadn't bought be bike in almost 20 years either, and I figured it might be another 20 before I did again (that's how I justified the dramatic price increase- I had been looking for something in the $500 range).

I'd test ride as many as your LBS will let you, and slowly narrow down the ones that fit you and what you are looking for the best. That's the only real way to tell the difference. I also have a string of posts on a question I asked about the trek 7.5 about a month ago. As I recall some folks chimed in on the whole series.

I have the 7.3 and the 7.6

The 7.6 is my "road bike".
    The 7.3 would be a good commuter. I ride mine on the C&O Canal towpath.

When I was in NYC, I rented a 7.5 and rode it across town. It was great.

The 7.3 is rather heavy, if you think you're going to ride a lot I don't think this is the bike for you.

Basically, as you go higher in the series the bikes become lighter and faster and the tires get skinnier, though none would be termed a road bike.

They also become more expensive
    Last edited by Zen; 11-22-2009 at 08:23 AM.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Thanks GrassyRidge & Zen. Zen, I am glad you responded because it was one of your posts that stated that you use these bikes for completely diffferent reasons. I'm not sure I exactly understand what makes a bike a commuter bike except for maybe it is heavier and so you don't want to ride it as far as you would the lighter bike.

Arrggh, now I am more confused. I took my husband with me to the store to get his opinion. He prefers the 7200 over the 7.3 FX. He thinks that "for as much as I will ride it" that the weight difference is not a big deal. He thinks that it is a much more comfortable bike. I was hoping that he would lean towards the 7.3 FX like I am. I guess he doesn't have faith in me riding for exercise. He also doesn't like how the tires are made mainly for the road. While I won't be on the mountain, we do sometimes ride on the dirt road at the RV campground.

Confused in California

Quote Originally Posted by mhami View Post
    I took my husband with me to the store to get his opinion. He prefers the 7200 over the 7.3 FX.
    Who's riding this bike?

He thinks that "for as much as I will ride it" that the weight difference is not a big deal. He thinks that it is a much more comfortable bike.
    Have you ridden both of them?
    Which one do you find more comfortable?

I don't think those front shocks on the 7200 are any big deal, but that's my opinion. I am almost certain you'll prefer the trigger shifters on the FX over the twist shifters on the 7200.

The 7200 doesn't have any review on the trek site but The 7.3 did

And the weight DOES make a difference. I didn't realize it until I did a five mile ride on my old heavy mountain bike, and then did one on my new bike. I felt GREAT after the ride on the lighter bike, and totally worn out (and not in a good way) after the ride on the old one. The old bike is going to be tricked out for running errands, panniers etc. The new bike will get the long fun rides

I think that primary difference between the Trek 7000 series and the Trek FX series is in the geometry, i.e. how up-right you are versus how bent over and other factors. The 7000 series are more hybrids, in my option, between a mountain bike (or cruiser) and a road bike. The FX series moves more towards being a flat-bar road bike. As a newer rider, you won't have any intellectual feelings about geometry. You will just have to ride them and feel the difference, but generally as you get more serious about speed you would probably find yourself wanting the FX or an actual road bike. The 7000 will be comfortable but your torso will be very upright and you will catch a lot of wind. So really, you have to understand what you want the bike for and how serious you might get about cycling in order to decide. The 7000 and FX series are for very different purposes.

From there, the more expensive bikes in both the 7000 and FX series upgrade to nicer gear shifters (derailleurs), carbon forks that dampen rough roads, better tires, lighter wheels, etc., but those things might not be important to you.

And really, the FX 7.2 is identical to the 7.6 in geometry (someone correct me if I'm wrong here), so you are really getting the exact same bike no matter what level you decide on, it's just that the components are better and lighter on the 7.6. It's like getting a V8 engine in your car instead of a V4. The shifting will be smother, the bike will be lighter and faster but it's the exact same bike. You have to decide on the balance between your budget and the elegance of the bike.

So now I'm dilemmafied- I have a trek 7.3fx and I think it's the absolute perfect bike for me . But I want to be able to do a century in less time. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 7.6 or higher. Is the geometry the same? I was thinking I'd try trail riding and my next bike would be an entry level mountain bike. But this new knowledge about the fx series changes things.

The geometry is the same but you'll likely be faster on the 7.6. It's got narrower, slick tires and it's lighter overall.
    It's gateway bike to the hard stuff
    The 7.6 with Alivio trigger shifters, Deore front deraillerur and Tiagra rear
    is as high as it gets for the WSD but you might not need that. The mens goes up to 7.9 and has a 105 front and rear. It also has a $2,619.99 price tag.
    Last edited by Zen; 11-24-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Wow, Tiagra and Deora derailleurs on a bike that costs $1200? I'd rather just buy a road bike for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by carinapir View Post
    So really, you have to understand what you want the bike for and how serious you might get about cycling in order to decide. The 7000 and FX series are for very different purposes.
    Thank you for taking the time to respond so thoroughly. I'm happy this thread got some more action. You are right about the above statement and that is why I am having a hard time making a decision. I really, really, liked the beautiful blue 7.3 FX that I test rode. I also tested the 7200. I tested about seven different bikes.

Here is the problem I am having. I initially thought I was buying a bike to ride around with my kids and envisioned a fun ride with them on a rails-to-trails trail that takes us right to my Mom's house. It would be about a 21 mile run, but I thought with a little practice the kids and I could do that. I thought it would be fun to ride there, go swimming and spend the night and come home the next day. I envisioned riding with the kids to their school, riding to the bowling alley, riding to get a frozen yogurt, etc. I even envisioned buying a dog trailer and towing my dog.

Like a good consumer I researched the bikes I tested. I came across TE (a wonderful website) and got very excited about riding in general. It is hard not to get excited when you all are so passionate about riding. Since I am on a mission to lose 40 lbs by the end of July I began thinking how I would like to ride for exercise. I started plotting routes on Bikely.com and day dreaming about riding for exercise. As great as my intentions are, just like if I were to buy a treadmill and don't use it for its intended purpose, it is a waste of money.

Other than the mountain bike that I have been riding once in awhile over the past 10 years, all of my other bikes were (like) road bikes (10 speeds). I am mostly comfortable on the 7.3 FX. I am comfortable with the slight leaning forward, but I am not comfortable about the saddle. I am really worried about not being comfortable with the small around town trips I plan on doing. If I thought the saddle would be comfortable I would buy the FX in a heartbeat.

Another personal issue that I am having is that I don't really care for the look of the 7200 and the good reviews are mostly from beginning cyclists and 60 year old men. Seriously, I have nothing against beginning cyclists or 60 year old men and I value their opinion, but I would rather have an opinion from an avid cyclist who has experience.

From the picture I think the 7500 looks nice. I haven't tested it or know anything about it. I can only assume it is way more than I wanted to spend, but I might be willing to spend it if I think it is a bike that will last me. Maybe I should look at bikes other than Trek.

I'm sorry this message got to be so long. I am really frustrated now and can't make a decision. I go to bed thinking about bikes and I wake up thinking about them.

Confused in CA
    Marianne
    Last edited by mhami; 11-24-2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Spelling oops.

It's rare to find anyone who likes a Bontrager saddle.
    That'll be the next thing you spend hours researching
    You heard it here first.
    you think you're confused now

If I thought the saddle would be comfortable I would buy the FX in a heartbeat.
    So buy the FX and replace the saddle! Sounds to me you already know which bike has stolen your heart. Everything else is just trying to justify it.

Another personal issue that I am having is that I don't really care for the look of the 7200
    I could never, ever, ever buy a bike that I didn't like the look of. I'd resent even looking in its general direction and I'd never want to ride it.

Maybe I should look at bikes other than Trek.
    Maybe you should! I looked for a new bike for months before finally deciding on the Cannondale. It was originally a brand (and model) I'd decided against, but after riding it, it totally stole my heart (and with it, all rational thought related to budget).

I go to bed thinking about bikes and I wake up thinking about them.
    I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this.. but it will only get worse. You're on a slippery slope, my dear! Buying the bike of your dreams is just the start. Once you've got the bike, your dreams will be filled with rides on the new steed. Then, you'll wake up one day and realise the new steed needs new tyres, or maybe an updated doodad or better widget. Just embrace it, it's easier that way

Max

Saddles are a very personal choice and I never keep the saddle that comes with my bikes. That definitely shouldn't stop you from buying the FX if you like everything else about it IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    The geometry is the same but you'll likely be faster on the 7.6. It's got narrower, slick tires and it's lighter overall.
    It's gateway bike to the hard stuff
    The 7.6 with Alivio trigger shifters, Deore front deraillerur and Tiagra rear
    is as high as it gets for the WSD but you might not need that. The mens goes up to 7.9 and has a 105 front and rear. It also has a $2,619.99 price tag.
    I don't need wsd, but the frame size I have fits my legs nicely, and because my torso is shorter that a man's, I seem to be fitted to the bike in a more aggressive position, more downwards than I've seen a lot of people on hybrid bikes. It works real well for me, and that's why I think I might want to upgrade to the same bike but lighter weight with a few more technical parts. I don't think I can spend $2000 or more, it will be a stretch for me to spend the $1200 or so that the 7.6 costs. But I am all sorts of excited about the option of having a new and improved version of the bike I love so much!