Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

View Poll Results: What part of your ride seems the most challenging?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • The first 10 miles.

24 70.59%
  • The last 10 miles.

4 11.76%
  • Somewhere in the middle.

6 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What part of your ride seems the most challenging?

To disable ads, please log-in.

When I go on a long ride, the first 10 miles seems the most challenging. It's always so good to get that first 10 miles completed. What about your rides?

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    The first is always the hardest because most of the time I have to drag myself out to do it. Once I'm out there, it's gravy.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Yep I would agree the beginning is always the hardest for me. I find the first hour is yuck and then my body seems to get into a rhythm and its ok.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

I guess I'm the exception here...as the most challenging for me is in the middle. The first 10 miles, I'm still warming up...but somewhere in the middle, like around the 40 or 50 mile mark, is when most of my pain issues start to rear their ugly heads. The last 10, is when I'm on my way back home...so mentally, it feels easier to me because I know it's almost over.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Totally depends on which direction I'm going on my ride. Lots of rolling hills around here, every ride is quite different as to where the hardest climbs are for me.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Whichever part is into the wind.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I always seem to find my groove at the last third of the ride. The beginning is usually the hardest, because I have to drag myself out there. After that, I find some kind of a rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Whichever part is into the wind.
    Oh yes, the wind!
    How come I don't feel it pushing me when it's at my back, but I sure feel it when it's hitting me in the face!

hmmm

In terms of road riding just when there's a headwind

In terms of dirt time-when my mind is frazzled after 30km & that logover looks way too hard

When I ride my local routes starting at my house, the last 10 miles are definitely the most challenging because I have to climb hills to get home. Actually the last 2.5 miles are the worst...there are two pretty miserable hills and it's not very fun to deal with them at the end of a ride when I'm tired.

Most other longish rides seem to be hardest for me at the end too. Like today, I rode 51 miles and it was cold (not really that cold, I was just under-dressed) and really windy. After about 40 miles, I was counting down the miles til I got back to the car! I was really ready to be off the bike so those last 10 were miles were killer.

Usually the first 8-10 miles are the hardest, when I'm playing a mental game with myself trying to talk my ride down, turn back sooner. But once I get past that, get in the groove, those thoughts seem to go away, and I usually can push slightly firther than originally planned.

anything hot after 30 miles

How about none of the above.

Toughest challenge for me these days is "getting out the house part" . It's been about 7 weeks since I've thrown my back out. My back is more or less fine now. Did try to go riding about three weeks ago and had a minor set back. And now I've been coughing and feel like I have a herd of pachyderms sitting on my chest. (actually my cats).

My house doesn't have heat. So when I get cold in bed, I just throw another cat on top of me .

Brendon: a 15 pounder main coon
    Morgan: another lunker. a rag doll
    lulu: overweight shorthair. Solid as a brick 12 pounder...

We have pride of cats. Far more than just the three cats.

I agree with nscrbug (you couldn't have chosen a slightly harder-to-remember username? ) - the first part I'm warming up and enjoying being out and about, the last part I'm looking forward to getting there, the middle part is when I'm most likely to find it challenging.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by kimikaw View Post
    Usually the first 8-10 miles are the hardest, when I'm playing a mental game with myself trying to talk my ride down, turn back sooner. But once I get past that, get in the groove, those thoughts seem to go away, and I usually can push slightly firther than originally planned.
    Mental games - During the first 10 I tell myself, "You don't have to ride 40 miles today. Fifteen miles might be enough."

Then I toughen up and tell myself, "The first 10 is the hardest. Get that first 10 down and you can do it! Remember how good it feels to ride that last 10!"

I also talk to my bike, "Come on, we can do it!"

Do you talk to your bike? We should talk to all of our best friends, right?