Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Red face I'm new...please be gentle

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am the new owner (as of last week) of a 2010 Cannondale Synapse Féminine 5 (alloy)...my very first road bike. DH has been trying to bring me to the dark side of cycling for years. He's been riding for forever and has been involved with the JDRF ride team fundraising program for about 5 years, now. He finally wore me down.

Almost 4 years ago I started running and have challenged myself with everything from 5ks to marathons (my favorite distances are 15-25k range) and a few trail races and relays. Midway training for my 3rd marathon I was finding myself looking longingly at cyclists...whizzing by with such ease as I'd huff-and-puff along for up to 4 hours. Hmmm...I think I've been doing it wrong!

So 2010 has me looking ahead at more of the running distances I really enjoy, fewer miles on foot, some miles on the bike, some century rides, and at least one duathlon.

Right now I'm discovering that running has nothing on cycling when it comes to fit issues. I think the stock saddle on my bike (Cannondale Raven) is a bit too narrow for my rear. My sit-bone width is in the 130-140mm range (based upon the threads I found here on measuring that area--tough to do with my bubble butt, I must say), but my saddle is closer to 120-130 based upon my tape measure, so I have ordered a Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow (I believe that's the model...it's $90 right now through Nashbar and they had a $20 off on orders of $100 code today, so I grabbed it).

Anyhow...I have a feeling I will be full of questions in the coming months. I'm hoping for a mild Winter and early Spring so that I can fully enjoy my new ride without snow, ice, and frigid temps.

You're not the only one hoping for a mild winter! Enjoy your new bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    You're not the only one hoping for a mild winter! Enjoy your new bike!
    The Midwest can really suck...

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    The Midwest can really suck...

Thanks.
    Let's hope the current weather trends continue...

I had one loss turn into a gain..I lost one of my mid-day school bus routes due to there being no more half day kindergarten. I was stunned and amazed at the amount of money I would no longer be making, but then realized something important. It gets dark here at 5pm. I get home form the routes I still have at 4:30.
    I have a big chunk of my day free in the middle of the day!
    I can ride my bike in the middle of the day!
    So far, it has been fairly mild, and that will stop sometime soon.
    I've filed a grievance against the cold and wet and gray, but the powers that be haven't listened.

becca, I am just thankful for no snow or bitter cold. I think we'd already had a few feet by this time last year...and it was just a hint of things to come. As long as the roads are clear I will do my best to bike. And it sure will be nice to be able to run sans-YakTrax, too.

I'm still thinking those folks in places like New Mexico and Arizona have the right idea, though...sun, low humidity, minimal snow.

Golly, did you find the right forum. Welcome!

Roxy - having just a teensy bit of bike envy there. Sigh.
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Welcome to TE! You won't find any big bad wolves here... just a bunch of gals that love to ride, run, swim, commute, cyclocross..... Best of luck with your new bike!!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    becca, I am just thankful for no snow or bitter cold. I think we'd already had a few feet by this time last year...and it was just a hint of things to come. As long as the roads are clear I will do my best to bike. And it sure will be nice to be able to run sans-YakTrax, too.

I'm still thinking those folks in places like New Mexico and Arizona have the right idea, though...sun, low humidity, minimal snow.
    I've ridden in some parts of West Michigan and have found the road quality to be quite good in some locations. Is it because of the lake effect snow that keeps the ground insulated from freezing and thawing and much as it does in the middle of the state? Particularly Van Buren county. Smooth roads all the way on a 30 mile ride! Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    I've ridden in some parts of West Michigan and have found the road quality to be quite good in some locations. Is it because of the lake effect snow that keeps the ground insulated from freezing and thawing and much as it does in the middle of the state? Particularly Van Buren county. Smooth roads all the way on a 30 mile ride! Yay!
    Perhaps...though there are some notoriously bad roads in some areas. My county (Muskegon) is pretty good, though most of the quiet back roads are chip-sealed, so that texture may make me wish my ride were full-carbon. The biggest issue is roads that are covered with a foot or more of snow. Last year our county ran out of plowing $$, so there was about a month toward the end of Winter when they plowed maybe 1x/week...not good when we had the 4th snowiest Winter on record. There were days when we had a tough time getting out of our neighborhood.

This mild weather gives me hope that we're being rewarded for putting up with Mother Nature the last few Winters.

Quote Originally Posted by tctrek View Post
    Welcome to TE! You won't find any big bad wolves here... just a bunch of gals that love to ride, run, swim, commute, cyclocross..... Best of luck with your new bike!!

yeah - you can give people every possible opportunity to flame you and they just don't do it. I've never been on such a forum!

For those of you with more experience than I (ie. everyone ), I have two newbie questions.

1. Is there any difference in a $15 bike helmet from Target and a $50 helmet from a LBS?

2. With road tires, (my bike has Bontrager) will riding 50 feet over gravel/grass damage them? I have to cut through to avoid a narrow busy street and get to the park/bike route.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GrassyRidge View Post
    For those of you with more experience than I (ie. everyone ), I have two newbie questions.

1. Is there any difference in a $15 bike helmet from Target and a $50 helmet from a LBS?

2. With road tires, (my bike has Bontrager) will riding 50 feet over gravel/grass damage them? I have to cut through to avoid a narrow busy street and get to the park/bike route.

Thanks!
    I can answer #1-if you're buying a helmet for the first time, it would be better to have the bike store fit you. There are certain ways a helmet should fit in order to protect you. After you've done that and need to replace it in a few years, you might be able to find one online or at a department store for less $$, but you should definately have it fit right from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    I can answer #1-if you're buying a helmet for the first time, it would be better to have the bike store fit you. There are certain ways a helmet should fit in order to protect you. After you've done that and need to replace it in a few years, you might be able to find one online or at a department store for less $$, but you should definately have it fit right from the start.
    That's what my hubby would say, and he's right.

Years ago I had a cheapy Nashbar brand helmet...it was OK, but not a great fit. It was hard to adjust. Now I have a Bell helmet that is female specific and I like it a lot more. I have a small noggin, so it's good to spend a bit more for a helmet that comes in a smaller size. I think the Target helmets are probably gender-neutral and would fit a larger (male) head better.

+1 on letting a LBS fit your first helmet.

Also, different helmet brands are different shapes, and you may find that some fit you better than others. Going to a shop that has a wide selection is your best bet.

Now, as far as the difference between a $40 LBS helmet and a $200 one... IME it's about a 20% difference in comfort. I'm not going to spend that much money again.

On your tires, as long as you keep them properly inflated, then gravel shouldn't damage them. The only potential problem is that a lot of areas like that are full of broken glass, roofing nails, fasteners that fell off cars, etc., and grass can make that stuff hard to see. You might want to check it out on foot first and make sure it's reasonably clean.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler