Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I do the elliptical the same exact way...hands-free. Sometimes, if I'm feeling really enthusiastic, I'll grab a couple of 3lb weights and hold them in my hands while I'm pumping my arms to intensify the workout. I also do the StairMaster hands-free...but that took a LOT more time to master than going hands-free on the elliptical.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

even a month ago, I would have related to this - I was so afraid of being clipped in a standing, that I would fall and not catch myself because I was clipped in. I have absolutely no idea how or when it happened; I wasn't practicing or trying to stand, but I can do it now with no problems, and for quite a distance. I don't think I tried to do it that much before because I read that it's hard on the knees, so why would I bother??? But when I got a weekend job as a group ride leader, I started doing it as a ways for me to go uphills at a slower pace when I was riding sweep so I could stay back with the slower riders. I know it sounds crazy, but I don't have a really low gear on my CX bike, so spinning for me makes me go faster than those spinning up in a granny gear - and I can only spin so slow (any slower and I would fall over; the gear is just too big to spin "freely"). If I grab a couple gears and stand, I can ride a little slower just going from side to side...I'm stable standing up, and it doesn't take as much pressure from me to pedal because I'm using gravity (rather than spinning and using my own muscles). And, I found that, at least for me, it doesn't hurt my knees. Ever since I "discovered" I could do it, I started doing it more on my own or in my faster group rides, and find I can get up hills a lot better than I used to.
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

I have a really hard time standing up to pedal as well. I assume it has to do with my lack of core strength. The bike wobbles left and right as I pedal. I don't ever stand up going up hills. I think I'll start working on it some and perhaps really work on it on the trainer this winter.

The way I understand it, you're actually supposed to let the bike go side-to-side while your body stays vertical. That's the most efficient way, I've read. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. You'll see the pros doing it (sprinting, too).
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I used to rarely (read, never) stand while climbing. This is partly because I can spin uphill really efficiently, but also because I never felt stable out of the saddle on climbs.

Then, I bought a new bike, and without thinking about it I am climbing out of the saddle (and sprinting out of the saddle) so much more than I used to.

I never would have guessed, but I think frame geometry plays a big role here. I don't think it is about bike fit because my old bike fits me like a glove (arguably better than the new one).