Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Wallis Independence Ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

purpose to raise money to buy specialized wheel chairs and bikes for diabled veterans.

location of the ride- Wallis. Texas40 miles NW of Houston, TX

distances 10,24,42 and 64 miles over primarily flat farm roads.

This year was the third annual ride for this cause. Both my husband and I rode. The weather was gorgeous, mild low 80's, humidity was low and the winds were moderate and it was sunny.

One of the most inspiring aspects of this ride is seeing the veterans who ride either on specialized hand cranked bikes, specialized road bikes or on a tandem with a partner. Several of the veterans this year did the 24 mile distance, and two blind veterans did 42 miles on tandems with volunteers while other volunteers babysat the companion dogs.

The organizers always have military equipment come to visit as well. This year it was a big chinook helicopter that you could actually go into. On the control panel, someone had written "don't panic".

The enthusiasm of the volunteers was amazing also. They cheered and waved every rider off and back in at the end, thhey were at cheering and waving at every rest stop and every turn on the cue sheet as well.

It is one of the most enthusiastic and satisfying rides we do each year and I highly recommend it.

Photos and more information can be found at www.wallisindependenceride.com

My ride stats

42.5 miles, 2 hours 27 minutes, 16.4 mph

We did it again. This was a great day, giving something back to our veterans and bike. Great durnout, about 700 rider.

Will be there with all my friends next year, sooooo... mark your calender for 2010!

C-ya there

Resi

Independence Ride website is: www.wallisride.com