Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Also, I think most of the issues with FB (malware and privacy issues) have to do with the "Facebook Platform." I have that turned off.

Without that, I can't play games, take quizzes, etc., but that I can live without.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

After moving around the world numerous times (and having friends who have moved around), I find that my group of friends is a global one. I never have a very big social circle in any one place, but put together I have a large group of friends. Meeting up face to face would be prohibitively costly with the many trans atlantic flights involved. Going on facebook is a way of meeting up and chatting with friends as if we were all in the same coffee shop haning out. I've reconnected with friends from college (and earlier) who I had lost touch with over the years because of frequent moves. International phone calls were just too expensive to keep in touch with everyone. Similarly, FB lets me keep up with family who are spread across two continents and three countries. We can now chat and play games as we would do if we were living in the same neighbourhood, only we save the cost of transatlantic flights and international phone calls. For instance, I now feel like I know my brother much better than I have done in the past 15 years when we were on separate continents and spoke only briefly at Christmas when we both go home.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Also, I think most of the issues with FB (malware and privacy issues) have to do with the "Facebook Platform." I have that turned off.

Without that, I can't play games, take quizzes, etc., but that I can live without.
    Please tell me how to turn that off!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Aside from everything else that's already been said here six times...:

Also important to go into settings and delete any applications not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Please tell me how to turn that off!
    Settings>Privacy>Applications>Settings, and I just turned everything off on that page:

* Do not share any information about me through the Facebook API
    * Don't allow friends to view my memberships on other websites through Facebook Connect.
    * Don't allow Beacon websites to post stories to my profile.

And yeah, what Flybye said about deleting apps.

Knot, thanks for asking, and Oakleaf, thanks for answering. That's some good info there.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

10 things every facebook user should know:

http://www.allfacebook.com/2009/02/facebook-privacy/10/

**THIS LINK IS CURRENTLY DOWN**
    but should be up back soon. It is an excellent article.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    That's kind of an unfair and ignorant assessment.

Most of my friends are over 40, many over 50. My father was 71 when HE invited me to Facebook, in 2007. My generation is making very very good use of Facebook.

I find it an extremely useful tool for keeping up with my friends and family who are far away. I wouldn't know near as much about my grandchildren if not for Facebook. I wouldn't see the most recent pictures instantaneously if not for Facebook.

I recently found a good friend whom I'd lost touch with since we both moved away. It was awesome and lovely. I had searched for her on Google for a long long time, and it wasn't until Facebook that we actually connected. I'm thrilled and so is she!

I dare you to get on Facebook, and just connect with the people you know who are already there, and just sit back and watch. You'll change your mind.

Karen

thanks Karen, you said that so much nicer than I would have.

For a long time I was extremely wary of FB...visions of old junior high boyfriends, amongst others, came to mind, hunting me down and forcing me to friend them.

Really, it is much more benign. I joined about a month ago because a friend insisted it is a great marketing tool for my business (which I think is arguable, but at least it is free!)...but I find it really fun on a personal level, and have indeed re-connected with some very good friends from the past (like this last week with a couple of former teammates with whom I raced Idaho's HP Challenge in the mid 90's!), none of whom I could have reconnected with by other means. And my sister, who never has time for a phone call, seems to have endless availability through FB. we poke each other daily.

I find it a very friendly format, and the extreme ease of uploading photos (there is a tool through iPhoto that allows you to upload about 50 in a minute) makes it really easy to share your life (on your terms) with your extended community.

Quote Originally Posted by uk elephant View Post
    I now feel like I know my brother much better than I have done in the past 15 years when we were on separate continents and spoke only briefly at Christmas when we both go home.
    Is this the same brother to whom once you asked what's been going on lately and he said "check my Facebook page"?

What works for me; Facebook, people I know IRL but distance or time constraints don't see as often as I'd like. Great to keep in touch, post a picture from wherever I am, have gotten in touch with old school chums and I mean like elementary school and two ex's I get along with

Discussion groups. Most there don't have my real name, some I never meet. Groups like TE we have stuff in common and of course I have family on TE but the groups are strangers mostly with a focus on one issue (unless we're drifting)

I'm twitter impaired don't use it at all.
    Last edited by Trek420; 11-16-2009 at 08:10 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

The cool part for me has been keeping up with my goddaughter at college - she has drug me into the FB IM and cell texting generation. and the other cool part with FB IM, is one of my friends recently went through tonsil cancer treatment, and it helped her to be able to 'talk' when her voice was gone. But different strokes for different folks......enjoy however you communicate!!!
    It's all about the journey (my reason for riding slower)

I'm part of the original target demographic for Facebook, so I've spent most of the last three years with a profile. I try not to do the silly quizzes or things like that unless they look like fun. (So I have the Scrabble app.) I keep in touch with my sister who is apparently unable to use a cell phone (or keep it out of the washing machine...), my friends who I've seen maybe three times since we went to college, and find out about campus events via Facebook.

The frequent status updates...well, if you know you're going to get a reaction...The frequent ones among my friends are "OMG, midterms! I have three tests and two papers and a project due this week!" Those get sympathy and encouragement.

One of the more serious uses for FB: A guy who went to my high school and university was diagnosed with a particularly aggressive brain tumor. We didn't know each other, but we had many mutual friends. (He is a year older than me.) He's undergone several surgeries and took a turn for the worse in September. His closest friends started a group in order to keep everyone updated on how he was doing.

Here ya go.

I don't get the point about how some use Facebook instead of calling, because calling takes too much time. If I am sitting at my computer, using Facebook, isn't that taking up time? I could be doing lots of other things (like leaving for work!) instead of being on TE right now.
    I also have moved a few times. I have kept in contact with friends from my last interstate move, which happened way before any form of electronic communication. It is hard to make new connections, but I did it.
    My thing with all of these forms of communication is that there is less and less face to face human interaction. It's scary to me. I also think think that the technology aspect of Facebook is somewhat non intuitive to me. If I had to find information about cycling routes there, I'd never find it.
    I wonder if there are others like me? I still write down things on paper.