Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Entry level FS bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

I want a MTB so bad I can hardly stand it. The local Mountain Bikers Association had finished a bunch of trails close to here. I'm a total newbie. I want my hubby to play, too, so we need 2 bikes. On a very tight budget. I want to get a cheap HT, but my arthritic spine says an emphatic "NOT!!" We looked at Trek Fuels today. The 5 series seems good. Still more than we can do right now. I wish the Specialized dealer in town was a place I was willing to patronize. I hate to give them my money for the service they (don't) provide. We keep looking for used. Any recommendations?

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by blackhillsbiker View Post
    I want a MTB so bad I can hardly stand it. The local Mountain Bikers Association had finished a bunch of trails close to here. I'm a total newbie. I want my hubby to play, too, so we need 2 bikes. On a very tight budget. I want to get a cheap HT, but my arthritic spine says an emphatic "NOT!!" We looked at Trek Fuels today. The 5 series seems good. Still more than we can do right now. I wish the Specialized dealer in town was a place I was willing to patronize. I hate to give them my money for the service they (don't) provide. We keep looking for used. Any recommendations?

Deb
    you may want to spend some time shopping at the LBSs and then try to find something you like used... I had a beautiful Santa Cruz that was a bit too small and I sold it with less than 400 miles on it... perhaps you could find a great deal like that? In any event, I hope you find what you need to get started... its VERY fun!!!

The Specialized Mykas seem to be a lot of bang for the buck, I am sorry the dealer wasn't worth visiting.

Do you have REI up there? When I got my bike REI had a Scott FS for a great price but they can't be shipped to your house.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

No REI here, but there is one in Denver, where my parents live. Maybe next time we visit them. I'm still in the saving up and research mode.

Deb

Keep an eye on Ebay. Also, if your local mtn bike group has a website, they often list bikes for sale.

I found a used, macked out Juliana for a very good price locally. We also found a nice used Marin for my husband on Ebay. you need to be fine with the occasional scratch, nick and dent, but you can often get twice the bike for the money.

I bought a new 08 Specialized Stumpjumper pro closeout at a great price from my LBS. That being said, Craigslist has several FS mountain bikes that are a real bargain. I kinda wish I looked around a little more knowing what I wanted. As you said, informing yourself is the key and I am pretty sure you can find a bargain. You can also checkout mountain bike review (www.mountainbikereview.com) for great tips and reviews, they also have a classified section.

I went to the Specialized dealer today. The guy who was there was very helpful. Maybe they're trying to change their image. Anyhow, I looked at lots of bikes. There is a 2008 Safire at a killer price. If I thought I could swing it. Sigh. Anyhow, it was fun to look.

Deb