Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specialized bikes - need opinions

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've never owned a Specialized, and I'm wondering what other people's feelings and experiences are for the Specialized bikes.

I have a 12 year old Trek 730 Hybrid bike, which has been a great dependable bike, but I'm getting ready to purchase a new one. I want a flat bar "fitness" style bike as opposed to a road bike. I'm in my 50's and don't feel comfortable with the lower handlebars and the more agressive stance of a road bike. But I do want something that will go faster than my old Trek 730, that's lighter weight, and will be suitable for long rides on paved surfaces. (I never go off-road.)

Anyway, I've been looking for quite awhile and have narrowed my choices down to the 2010 Trek 7.6 FX WSD versus the 2010 Specialized Vita Comp.

Here's the specs on the Vita Comp:
    http://tinyurl.com/yh397xf

The specs on the 2010 Trek 7.6 are not available online yet, but I do know from my LBS that it has a carbon fork, Shimano Deore front Deraileur, Shimano Tiagra rear Deraileur, Shimano Alivio trigger 9 speed shifter, it does NOT have a carbon seat stay but has the "IsoZone" in the seatstay to absorb vibration.

The Trek is $100 MORE than the Vita Comp. But I think the components on the Specialized Vita Comp are a bit better than the Trek 7.6 FX (?).

I have test ridden both of these bikes and they are both awesome. I'm leaning a bit more toward the Specialized Vita Comp because it has a carbon seat stay, it's $100 less, and I like the color and look of it more than the Trek 7.6 (Ink is the color for 2010 WSD).

Any opinions?

Ciao

The only Specialized I've ever owned is the Tri-Cross I'm currently riding and it's been a great, sturdy, fun bike. The only thing that really bugs me about riding the brand is their lack of subtlety in logo application.

But none of the mainstream manufacturers seem to know the meaning of "discreet".
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Kalidurga, lol.

I think the Trek will offer more bang for the buck with slightly better components compared to the Vita. That being said, choose the bike that feels more comfortable to you. Can you rent one of each and test ride it for an afternoon?

Uh, it looks to me that the components are the Vita are better.

If you like the bike and think it's a good value (it is, compared to the Trek from what you've said), then go for it.

I've had a Specialized Sequoia and currently own a Allez. I had thought about a Sirrus as a commuter bike. How does it compare to the Vita?
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I ride a Tri-Cross, and Epic Marathon (MTB), and next year, will be on a Tarmac Pro road bike. Apparently, I like Specialized . All are comfortable, and have served me well. The other great thing is the lifetime guarantee on the frames.

Go for the better components.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

The guy at the LBS which sells the Vita told me the Vita is the WSD version of the Sirrus.

The other thing to consider is that the LBS that sells TREK is not that good at customer service. The LBS that sells Specialized is great with customer service. In fact, even though years ago I bought my old Trek 730 at the same LBS that currently has the Trek 7.6 FX I test drove, I have ALWAYS taken my old Trek to the LBS that sells the Specialized for service. They are just awesome people to deal with, and I buy all my accessories from there too.

I'm just not that familiar with the Specialized brand, and I know TREK's are good.

Specialized bike are just as good as Trek and Giant, etc but not quite as big and well known. I love Specialized bikes!
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Nicole, are you Speshal-ized?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vrTVB5yPYw
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Nicole, are you Speshal-ized?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vrTVB5yPYw
    I guess so! I'd love a Tarmac as my next race bike.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I have a 47 y/o friend with a Vita and she loves it. Hasn't had a day of buyer's remorse. It is zippidy.

I'm 52, I ride a Specialized Roubaix. I also have and ride a Trek 730 -- older than yours, but I love it too!

Karen in Boise

A good friend of mine, who wanted to upgrade much in the way you do bought a Vita about a year ago. She loves it. I have been on quite a few rides with her and she has never had any issues with the components, etc.
    And, she made it up Oak Hill on her Vita, despite the fact she was cursing me the whole way...

I have a Specialized Sirrus and I love it!

Gotta jump in with another vote in support of Specialized. This fall as I looked at bikes I was looking between Trek and Specialized. Decided on a Specialized Dolce (compact sport) road bike (once I narrowed the brand/LBS, it was between Vita and Dolce and in my case decided on the traditional road styling). Decision was a combination of things - knowledgeable bike friends also seemed to think the component set was a bit better on the Specialized. But it really came down to the LBS. The three Trek dealers I visited turned me off, and I felt right at home at the LBS with Specialized.

In fact we like them so much, that my hubby just also bought his first road bike from them - a new but former year model of a Specialized Sequoia, on which they gave him a great deal.