Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

100 calories-what it looks like

To disable ads, please log-in.

Excerpt below from an article on what 100 calories for certain types of food like:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1358500/

Protein foods
    Lean meat, chicken 2 ounces (60 g)
    Fish, salmon 2 ounces (60 g)
    Fish, tuna 3 ounces (90 g)
    Eggs 1 large
    Cheese, part skim 1 ounce (30 g)
    Cottage cheese, 1% ½ cup (125 ml)
    Chickpeas, cooked 1/3 cup (75 ml)

Milk and milk alternatives
    Milk, skim or 1% 1 cup (250 ml)
    Yogurt, 1% MF 1 cup (250 ml)
    Soymilk, plain, enriched 1 cup (250 ml)

Starchy foods
    Cereal, e.g. Bran Flakes, Cheerios 1 cup (250 ml)
    Cereal, 100% Bran ½ cup (125 ml)
    Oatmeal, cooked ¾ cup (175 ml)
    Pasta, cooked ½ cup (125 ml)
    Popcorn, air popped 3 cups (750 ml)
    Rice, cooked ½ cup (125 ml)
    Whole grain bread 1 slice

Fruits
    Apple, pear 1 medium
    Apricots 3 whole
    Banana 1 medium
    Blueberries, strawberries 1 cup (250 ml)
    Dates 5
    Fruit juice, unsweetened ¾ to 1 cup (175 – 250 ml)
    Prunes dried 5
    Raisins ¼ cup (50 ml)
    Orange 1 large

Fats and oils
    Almonds, unsalted 14 whole
    Avocado ¼
    Peanut butter 1 tbsp. (15 ml)
    Sunflower seeds 2 tablespoons (25 ml)
    Vegetable oil 2 teaspoons (10 ml)

If you read the whole article in link, range is from 90 to 110 calories. However I've always thought a medium-sized banana was abit more than 110 calories. Anyway, this list can be helpful for the munchies.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 11-12-2009 at 12:36 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

limewave - that quiz made me LOL! How wrong is it that I got the ones about Krispy Kreme, BK and bagels correct but I got the endamame and the carrot ones wrong??!! I know how many calories are in the fattening fast food items and that is exactly WHY I don't eat them. I don't pay attention to how many calories are in carrots. No one got fat eating carrots.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    limewave - that quiz made me LOL! How wrong is it that I got the ones about Krispy Kreme, BK and bagels correct but I got the endamame and the carrot ones wrong??!! I know how many calories are in the fattening fast food items and that is exactly WHY I don't eat them. I don't pay attention to how many calories are in carrots. No one got fat eating carrots.
    Not that weird at all--if there's a good deal of fat and sugar in them, you need less to get to 100 calories. I got the edamame one simply because there's a fair bit of fat in soybeans. Carrots, not so much. I seem to overestimate the calories in everything, judging by the quiz. Now, if I'm actually eating it...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Have to say that now after knowing how much I've been nimbling at some of these listed foods, it's rare that I would eat less than 1,800 calories /day. More often, it's over 2,000 calories, even on "light" calorie days.

After doing about 1/2 of test in link that limewave provided, some food types reminded me what foods I don't currently eat but maybe common to other people's diets. For instance, I rarely munch on peanuts alone or have peanut butter in food at home: I just find peanut butter heavy/rich in taste.

(I did have peanut butter as a kid, both Skippy/brand types and organic.)

I just have other types of "junk"/less healthy stuff, not listed so far.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    Nice!! I got 17/24.

Got the pretzels, peanuts/cranberries, bagel, carrots, mcdonalds fries, donut, superpretzel, popcorn, pizza snacks, M&Ms, tomato slices, pizza, toast/egg, jerky, banana, chips/salsa, bk burger :P

Overestimated dark chocolate kisses, shrimpies/sauce, strawberries, string cheese (missed that it was light) (thought they were worse). Mostly things I don't eat - I eat the shrimp but not the sauce, the strawberries but not the whip, and don't mind overestimating the kisses and cheese!

Underestimated the edamame (should have known), vitatop (WTF?), sushi (but, I WANT it to be better!). Didn't know a VitaTop existed, should have known about the fat in the soybeans but wasn't thinking, and sushi is wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    Nice!! I got 17/24.

Got the pretzels, peanuts/cranberries, bagel, carrots, mcdonalds fries, donut, superpretzel, popcorn, pizza snacks, M&Ms, tomato slices, pizza, toast/egg, jerky, banana, chips/salsa, bk burger :P

Overestimated dark chocolate kisses, shrimpies/sauce, strawberries, string cheese (missed that it was light) (thought they were worse). Mostly things I don't eat - I eat the shrimp but not the sauce, the strawberries but not the whip, and don't mind overestimating the kisses and cheese!

Underestimated the edamame (should have known), vitatop (WTF?), sushi (but, I WANT it to be better!). Didn't know a VitaTop existed, should have known about the fat in the soybeans but wasn't thinking, and sushi is wishful thinking.
    I overestimated the ones you did too, because they're generally things I don't eat. I don't eat shrimp, Cool Whip is gross (I'll take real whipped cream and go easy on it, 'kay?), and I really don't like dark chocolate or string cheese. I thought those were worse. And what the heck is a Vitatop?

Heh - I've had the Vitatops before. They are high fiber, low fat, low calorie snack muffins, bascially. Started out as only Vitamuffins (whole grain blueberry, cranberry bran, etc) but then they came up with the muffin top idea and found that the world wanted chocolate. Now you find the chocolate ones way more than you might the healthier bran filled ones in the stores. 100 calories each. They actually aren't bad, but the chocolate ones are way too desert tasting - I like my muffins to taste like breakfast, not desert. If I recall correctly, they were pretty wholesome...had to be kept frozen since they had no preservatives, etc. I haven't had one in a couple of years.

I also missed the sushi - is miso soup high-ish in calories? I don't eat it (nasty!) so I had no idea how to gauge that one.

Most of the stuff on that quiz, I don't eat. Somehow though, after years of watching my weight/intake, it gets pretty easy to guess (and some were pure guesses!).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Wasn't there some mnemonic a while ago that the right amount of meat for a serving was about the size of a deck of cards?

Now I know why I cant lose tummy fat( that laps over shorts top - I need bibs!)- Im eating about 500 cal worth of apples a day!! Whoops. Better stick to celery( its really good with curry on it!)
    Conquering illness, one step at time.

22/24 on the quiz.
    Years of counting weight watcher points. 2 points = 100 cal (about).
    So I know a LOT of that.
    Of course by looking at me you would know that I go over that 100 cal snack just a bit! (actually it is dinner and drinks that do me in!)
    katluvr

I got 17 too! I thought it was pretty fun.

I eat vitamuffins, and I really love them. I do like chocolate a lot though, and it is a great deal of chocolate for 100 calories (which is why I eat them!)
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Okay, I hate all these online quizzes but I had to do it just to see.

I got 21. In my defense, the only real food I missed was the shrimp. And shrimp vary so much in size it's kind of hard to give a generic calorie count without specifying how large they are (and shrimp come graded how many per pound, so it's not like it's hard to say, as with different sizes of bananas). String cheese? "Vitamuffin?" WTH is that stuff?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler