Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: New Hardtail!

New Hardtail!

To disable ads, please log-in.

My first attempt at a light-weight MTB build...
    My Niner Jet9 was returned under a safety recall, and, as a part of the recall, Niner offered the Air9 frame at a huge discount since replacement Jet9 frames are still several months out. So, I've got this frame, and I'll eventually get another Jet9 frame. Since I'll eventually end up with two frames, I figured I'd buy a few new lightweight replacement parts:
    X.0 triggers to gripshift
    FSA Alloy bar to Easton carbon fiber
    Repaired a broken X.0 long cage RDR w/a medium cage
    Alligator I-link cables
    ESI chunky grips
    2x9 crank (just converted my Noir crank w/some Blackspire rings)
    Also just bought some titanium replacement spindles for my pedals from http://www.titaniumspindles.com/ (will shave another 30 grams), and I need to cut some excess seatpost and steer tube, which will only net a few more grams... but as they say in weight-weenie world- it all adds up!

Jet9 Before:

Air9 Now:

I plan to get some lighter wheels/tires for racing, and I will probably go for a lighter crank, brakes, & fork as I keep accumulating more parts. For now, he weighs in at 24 pounds, 2 oz. Not too bad, but definitely some room for improvement.
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

It's beautiful! Now go get it dirty! I am partial to the color, and where's that "lounge' sticker? hehehehehehehe.

What color is the cable housing? That's stunning! Can't tell if it's red or magenta on my monitor.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

So sick, kid! I am partial to hardtails, 29ers, and bright green, so this bike definitely turns me on. I also have a hardtail 29er, and it's also a 2x9.

Thanks! The cable housing is red, though the Alligator-brand of red is a little pink-ish. That stuff is great- I'm planning on switching all of my bikes to it eventually because it's so easy to use and seals out all of the sweat/rain/grime that I generally get into.

Brick House Blog

The cables are amazing! Wow, I never thought such a subtle design like that would make such a big impact!

-- gnat!

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    That's really sharp, Andrea, and that cable housing is really eye catching. That Monkey Lite bar is ridiculously light. You just might enjoy riding a HT moreso than a FS in racing.

Thanks! I've only ridden it a couple of times, and I love it so far! I still need to tweak the fit a little with a longer stem and a setback seatpost, but even as it is, I love the handling because it feels a bit more like my road bike than the FS did.

Brick House Blog

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Are you handlebars about 25" or so? They look narrow compared to your other bike.

Yeah, the Air bars are about 25" (they were longer, but I cut a bit off each end). The jet bars were actually a little less than 24" (600mm) but I had the bar ends on there, so they added a bit of width.

Brick House Blog

Sweeeeet as!

Nice! I also love hardtails, the colour green and 29ers. I am getting a Niner frame in raw, and going to bling it up with some sick green stuff, will post pics when it's done!
    Now I just have to sell my 26" hardtail to pay the invoice...