Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What do you do when you see little girls rocking the trail?

To disable ads, please log-in.

A little background - I race Sport Class here in the midwest and will be catting up to Expert next season. Our races don't draw a huge women's field so I never have any real competition (hence the reason for moving up to Expert). I'm always trying to encourage other women to ride/race mtb's.

I'm also a mtb instructor and have taught at quite a few women's clinic's.

Today we (myself and the REST guys - like usual) were rocking the trail and came along a bunch of guys with a little girl (8 -10 yrs old) on a xmart type bike (complete with basket) just moseying along. As we passed, I made sure to stop at the girl and ask her to give me a high five for bringing all the guys out to ride (looked like a father figure and bunch of his football buddies). We met up with them again along the trail and as we passed she smiled and waved to which I said "Keep it up little girl!"

At the trailhead, I heard her say, "look dad, there's that mountain biker girl".

My honey thinks it's sweet that I'm always telling all the little girls they look awesome.

Do you guys do anything like this? Just wanted to know if I was the only oddball. I just want these little gals to have positive riding experiences. They will be the one's kicking my butt when they get older!

yep

We have quite a few young ones (5-10yrs) that do the kids races with our local club. It's quite frightening when a 10yr old girl's faster than me... Most of the little ones that do participate have parents that race as well on the same day etc.

If I do come accross little ones on the trail, I normally say something nice & hope it makes them want to come out on the dirt over n over again.

As the mother of an 11yo girl I salute you both!

I try pretty hard (without trying to look like I'm trying hard) to encourage her to get out in the forest to ride with us. Success is relative - as in, sometimes it's better if you don't ride with a relative!!!

I have found my greatest success in getting her out on the bike in the forest is finding other girls of a similar age who also go out for a ride with their parents (Dads mostly). We have founded a very casual thing called "The Princess Rides" where anybody with a little girl can come and we trek across town to the easiest forest in Brisbane for a ride. They all seem to have a lot of fun and we work on skills - getting off and spotting them individually over logs and rocks and stuff. They seem to take to it much better without boys along who are much braver!

Also, one of the local race organisers who does our enduro races organises kids races during the main race - just a couple of laps around the marshalling area. All the kids get a prize and can tackle it at their own pace - or even have their parent ride along with them if they like. It really encourages them. My daughter has ridden in a few.

Keep up the encouragement - they need positive role models that aren't their parents!

I try to give that sort of encouragement to any kid I see out on a bike ride, whether girl or boy. Back when I had a computer on my bike, I'd make a big deal about how fast they were riding. And I always ask if they're having fun.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

This is not bike related but regarding a hike DH and I went on. We passed this family hiking with there son who was about 4 years old. It is a pretty tough hike for a lot of adults so when we saw him DH said " Holy cow you are doing great" to the little boy. The boy answered "I am not a cow, I am a boy" Made his parents and us laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    This is not bike related but regarding a hike DH and I went on. We passed this family hiking with there son who was about 4 years old. It is a pretty tough hike for a lot of adults so when we saw him DH said " Holy cow you are doing great" to the little boy. The boy answered "I am not a cow, I am a boy" Made his parents and us laugh.

hahahahahhahah - thanks for making me laugh and spit Myoplex at the same time.

If they're not wearing a helmet, I'll say something like, "you would look so much cuter if you were wearing your helmet!"
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

I've been known to yell out, "Woohooo! You go, baby!" to girls I see out on their bikes.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    If they're not wearing a helmet, I'll say something like, "you would look so much cuter if you were wearing your helmet!"
    I saw the most adorable little girl on a Stryder with a bright pink helmet on. She pointed to my helmet, then thumped herself on her helmet and said, loudly, "Hat!" with a huge grin on her little face. Her mom said she points out all the other riders with helmets. It made my day!

Deb

That's excellent...you know, you may have just given her the confidence to keep it up, and she could be the one really rockin' the races in a few years! Or if not, at least she'll be lovin' her ride!
    Let's all keep encouraging the dirty girls!!

Quote Originally Posted by TrekJeni View Post
    A little background - I race Sport Class here in the midwest and will be catting up to Expert next season. Our races don't draw a huge women's field so I never have any real competition (hence the reason for moving up to Expert). I'm always trying to encourage other women to ride/race mtb's.

I'm also a mtb instructor and have taught at quite a few women's clinic's.

Today we (myself and the REST guys - like usual) were rocking the trail and came along a bunch of guys with a little girl (8 -10 yrs old) on a xmart type bike (complete with basket) just moseying along. As we passed, I made sure to stop at the girl and ask her to give me a high five for bringing all the guys out to ride (looked like a father figure and bunch of his football buddies). We met up with them again along the trail and as we passed she smiled and waved to which I said "Keep it up little girl!"

At the trailhead, I heard her say, "look dad, there's that mountain biker girl".

My honey thinks it's sweet that I'm always telling all the little girls they look awesome.

Do you guys do anything like this? Just wanted to know if I was the only oddball. I just want these little gals to have positive riding experiences. They will be the one's kicking my butt when they get older!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkbikes View Post

I try pretty hard (without trying to look like I'm trying hard) to encourage her to get out in the forest to ride with us. Success is relative - as in, sometimes it's better if you don't ride with a relative!!!

I have found my greatest success in getting her out on the bike in the forest is finding other girls of a similar age who also go out for a ride with their parents (Dads mostly). We have founded a very casual thing called "The Princess Rides" where anybody with a little girl can come and we trek across town to the easiest forest in Brisbane for a ride. They all seem to have a lot of fun and we work on skills - getting off and spotting them individually over logs and rocks and stuff. They seem to take to it much better without boys along who are much braver!

Also, one of the local race organisers who does our enduro races organises kids races during the main race - just a couple of laps around the marshalling area. All the kids get a prize and can tackle it at their own pace - or even have their parent ride along with them if they like. It really encourages them. My daughter has ridden in a few.

Keep up the encouragement - they need positive role models that aren't their parents!

Great idea pinkbikes of taking the girls along.
    Minimally if I'm whipping along on the bike, and any child who rides consciously to one side to let me pass by, I always cheerfully thank them. Every gesture of courtesy on bike routes helps.

I saw the most adorable little girl on a Stryder with a bright pink helmet on. She pointed to my helmet, then thumped herself on her helmet and said, loudly, "Hat!" with a huge grin on her little face. Her mom said she points out all the other riders with helmets. It made my day!
    So cute, blackshill.

As for encouraging little kids, teens also need encouragement.
    AFter all these years at cycling events, on road rides, bike routes that aren't stacked with cars, it's rare that I see teenage girls cycling on a regular basis compared to much younger girls. The mtbike world probably sees them there (I'm not a mtbiker.) plus the teenage boys, but overall, I wonder just on bike paths and roads where it's not busy and safe from too many cars/high speed traffic. And I've lived in cities with significantly higher number of cyclists with available signed bike routes.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

My brother-in-law takes his little girl out on a trail-a-bike while 8 year old big brother rides along. That's getting them started early!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbikes View Post

Hey Pinkbikes, that's totally cool! I am from Bris also and it's really great to have all the kidds (esp girls!) out in the sport!

I am also a MTB coach and am looking for some juniors (probably from about 13–18) to coach at a state level.

PM me if you know anyone who is after skills/fitness coaching in that age group! It is, after all, the future of the sport!

Anna

I was just telling DH the other day how shocked I am that I don't see more women on the trail. We haven't been MTBing very long, (since Feb.) but I think I have only about 4 other women. None of them were anywhere near my age. Sad, really.