Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I'm falling apart

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have allergies.

I have allergy related asthma.

I have a pinched nerve between C5 and C6

I right now have a bladder infection.

I'm 48, so perimenopause here we come.

I am really tired of doctors. I dumped all the doctors that told me to reduce or stop bike riding.

It is hell to get old isn't it? I know it could be worse but geez.

Welcome to the club. Hey, any doctor that I have knows that if s/he mentions to stop cycling or any other sport I do, they get dumped.
    Focus on what you can do, which will always be more than what most people do...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by ACG View Post
    I have allergies.

I am really tired of doctors. I dumped all the doctors that told me to reduce or stop bike riding.

So it was primarily your allergy and back/neck related problems that your doctors told you to stop/reduce cycling?

People forget/don't know there's all sorts of different cycling and distances. Pity.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 11-05-2009 at 10:25 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I am really tired of doctors.
    I know your frustration all too well
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I have allergies.

I hear ya... sometimes I feel like my life consists of nothing but a series of Dr appts.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Get a doctor who will enable you to do what you want, with whatever modifications may be necessary (a recumbent bike comes to mind).

I'm with Crankin--any doctor who says stop being active gets dumped. There are plenty of creative and energetic doctors out there. You just have to find one.

I don't think 48 is old and I don't think falling apart is inevitable. Best of luck to you.

Oh honey, sad to say it gets worse as we get older. And you're right, any doctor that says I should quit exercising doesn't get a second visit. I have the allergies and asthma and you just have to take your meds and do as much as you can during allergy season. Just think how many more things you would have wrong with you if you didn't ride. I didn't see diabetes or heart disease on the list

I highly recommend D-Mannose to ward off UTIs. It totally works, and it's not a drug.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Chick View Post
    Oh honey, sad to say it gets worse as we get older.
    [soapbox]

I don't buy that wholesale. This is not about the OP now, but about aging in general. I think alot of people (no one here, mind you) stop taking proper care of themselves through diet and exercise, experience pains and aches and such, and blame it on "getting old." In fact, they are getting fat and lazy and not taking care of themselves!

My mother is approaching 70. She does yoga and rides her bike and keeps lean. She takes no meds (well, I take that back, she takes lithium--and thank goodness for that!), and has no "aches and pains." Friggin almost 70!!

Have I experienced aches and pains? Absolutely. A few years ago I developed very bad back problems--ack, it's because I'm getting old! My doctor wanted to give me pain relievers. I said no way, take me to the source so I can fix the problem that started this. I did that, and yes I have to pay special attention to my back and keep my weight down and pay particular attention to my core strength. But I'm not taking any meds and my back is much better...as is the rest of me because I'm taking care of the whole thing. A friend of mine, on the other hand, just takes the pills, gains weight, and complains about both the pain and her weight, says she's getting old! Go figure.

Take the best care of yourself as possible. Yes, of course, some people will have medical issues that are beyond their control and that have to be addressed and that's fine. But don't wither away in a pity party of aging!

Thank you.

[/soapbox]

How old are you, Tulip?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    [soapbox]

My mother is approaching 70. She does yoga and rides her bike and keeps lean.

Have I experienced aches and pains? Absolutely.
    Take the best care of yourself as possible. Yes, of course, some people will have medical issues that are beyond their control and that have to be addressed and that's fine. But don't wither away in a pity party of aging!

Thank you.

[/soapbox]
    What Tulip said!

And I will add - my mother is 86, will be 87 in March. She is still active, though slowing down a bit. Four years ago my son and I had her riding a bike in Keystone, CO. She had not been on a bike in many years but as they say, you don't forget. She had a ball! She has lots of aches and pains but pushes past them and keeps active. I only hope to be that way when I "grow up".

I, too, have many aches and pains but I will be darned if I am going to let them stop me. I am determined to fight age every step of the way!
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Thanks for the responses. The doctor who told me to cut back on the cycling got dumped. I found a chiro who is working on the pinched nerve and I am now (after several bouts of bronchitis) taking my allergy meds. I hate taking drugs. I am concentrating on loosing weight. I'm about 30lbs overweight.

My blood pressure was at my last doctor visit 68/98, pretty good I think. I am going to get blood work as soon as this UTI clears up, but last time, everything was at good levels.

I am always the person who tells everyone to look at the glass as half full. You are the only group I've expressed this negative feeling to. When I read your posts I realize my glass is 1/2 full and I'm not going to stop being active for anything. Thanks again.

I love hearing about people's mom's being so active, that's the kind of mom I want to be.

My auntie is 80 & hikes, fishes, camps.. She is so alive and active! I hope to be like her. Every time I see a peer or older on the bike path I feel more convinced that I have a good chance at staying 'young' and actve myself. I'm 52 & perimenipausal. Hear us roar, huh?

Tulip, I agree with a lot of what you have to say, but would also like to know how old you are. I'm twice as active as I was at 30 and take much better care of myself but since I passed 50, I've noticed a big change in how fast I recover and in how my fast my body is changing. The best thing I can do for me is to stay active and hope I set a good example for my children and grandchildren. Are you over 50?

Okay, I hope this isn't too grim for you.

I'm not falling apart. I only just turned 50. Yeah, I have more skeletal aches and pains than I did at 28, but I'm a lot better equipped to take care of myself, and I have a whole lot fewer problems of other kinds.

I also know that every single person I know over 75, intimately enough to have such a conversation with - including those who are now deceased whom I knew while I was an adult - every one with the sole exception of my mother, who, God bless her, could find something to enjoy in Hell - every one has told me, "Don't get old."

I'm at the age to think about taking that advice. It's a very serious component of my living will, medical POA, and current medical planning.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler