Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Mock endurance prep....

To disable ads, please log-in.

My gym is starting up a 2 hour endurance spin class, oriented towards triatheletes and marathoners. I got invited because they know my penchant for long epic mtb rides..

anyway here's the question: the class is going to be mondays 4:30 -6:30. This is the WORST time of day for me in terms of energy level. I've never done any "training" like this before, (other than just riding)and I am wondering what the best way to fuel myself for best function might be... any and all ideas appreciated. I've always been a "nuts and PBJ sandwiches" in the pack kind of gal, and that's probably what I'd do without any other input... I"m all ears

thanks gals

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Well, it's probably best to eat they way you always do before a ride if it floats your boat...As a trainer, I'm always telling clients to look a day before and after an event. Junk in/junky preformance.
    The day after can become a burn-out too if you don't take care of your needs the day prior. Plus, the day prior to the ride, good balanced nutrition will help all your cells hang in there together.
    The day after the ride is when you might find yourself dehydrated (you can really sweat till your wet in spin) or have some lactic acid in the quads/calves from preforming at a higher level than normal, along with being really tired from the exertion.
    Good times!

On a serious note, in the book, "Physiology of Sport and Exercise" one study shows that athletes who train intensely and eat low-carbs (40%) often experience a day-to-day decrease in muscle glycogen. Those who ate high carbs (70%), their muscle glycogen levels recovered almost completely within 22 hours of training. So, you see, it's not just the food you eat a couple hours prior; it's the day before and after so that you can get up and go again and again without getting run-down.

The time of the day for the ride sounds harsh to me, too...
    ...perhaps keep in mind that you have all day to enjoy good food as a plus; the down side, is after the spin class you'll want to drop into bed earlier than usual; it might throw your sleep cycle off. You can off set your desire to crash out immediatly by trying to stay awake (HA!) until your usual bed hour...or you can knock your self out with a PM formula (Exedrine/Tylonal). Sleep is REALLY important to endurance sport-related recovery and endurance.

Balance is the key to the preperation...sound sleep, balanced meals (70% carbs), good attitude so that stress doesn't burn you out during the day and lots of water/electrolites.
    Terry

Whenever I do any exercise that's longer than an hour I bring two water bottles, one with water the other with a sports drink. I know I need the fuel and I don't like to eat - even on long rides.

Sounds like a fun class.

Enjoy it!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Originally posted by Terry
    [B]Well, it's probably best to eat they way you always do before a ride if it floats your boat...As a trainer, I'm always telling clients to look a day before and after an event. Junk in/junky preformance.
    well, I can't say I know what to do!! They guys I ride with all think Pop Tarts are better than any commercial sports food.
    On a serious note, in the book, "Physiology of Sport and Exercise" one study shows that athletes who train intensely and eat low-carbs (40%) often experience a day-to-day decrease in muscle glycogen. Those who ate high carbs (70%), their muscle glycogen levels recovered almost completely within 22 hours of training. So, you see, it's not just the food you eat a couple hours prior; it's the day before and after so that you can get up and go again and again without getting run-down.
    Could you please expand this? Especially about what glycogen is? I tend to really try and watch my carbs; I guess this is not the time to do it.

thanks
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

glycogen

glycogen is stored sugar (i.e. carbs) in the body. it's used as fuel for the body during exercise. Carbs should actually make up about 60-70% of your daily food intake. Carbs and glycogen is the primary source of fuel for exercise. Fat is used too, but physiologically (is that a word?) it needs a lot of oxygen to get used. Long distance athletes who control their pace well, do you use a fair bit of fat as well as carbs. If there isn't enough oxygen, there will be anaerobic (ie lack of oxygen) breakdown of the carbs and glycogen which results in lactic acid build up (ouch!)

hope this helps a little

I've done these 2 hour endurance classes and then some in spin. I usually do a bar an hour before class and 1 every hr into each session. I drink 2 water bottles of water in each hour and have spare towels. Pace yourself and a heart monitor usually helps me.
    Have a good ride.
    chicago biker

riding w/guys--food

Now, I'm not going to bash the way guys eat and what many men consider as nutritious, but from experience...sigh...I pay no attention to their habits or advice on this subject. But, let me elaborate on the subject in a different manner.

I too ride with "guys". One day, when we all started pulling out the snack during after a few hours of riding...

I brought out a cold, crunchie Fugi apple that I kept cold near the top of my Camelback, a pre-prepared baggie of Louis Rich's crab meat (frozen the night before and thaws during the ride), some Okakaki crackers (thick rice crackers to put the crab on top of) and a couple "dunker" chocolate chip cookies...they all stared.
    (of course I always carry protein bars just in case I'm in the mood)

I just let'm watch...

The next ride, they wanted to try my stuff...I pointed them toward civilization (the grocery store)...they caught on.
    Amazing.

So now, we call one another the night before a ride to see what one another is packing for snacks.

Also, thanks har-grrl for explaining glycogen and what happens to it when it goes to work in the system.
    Terry

I survived!

I must be in better shape than I thought. I did great, was a little sleep and went to bed a bit early, bit felt great the day after - no muscle soreness or exercise hangover!

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Very cool!

Don't you just love the feeling of accomplishment.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

FYI...speaking of accomplishments, well sorta...

I just made a purchase of a Greg Lemond spin bike (used)!
    I saw it in the back of my local bike shop and asked the owner why it was sitting there all funky, no pedals, ect.; he said he got it from the local baseball teams' gym. Apparently, the team has spin bikes for training and this one went on the repair list. When the repair-rep came to fix the bike, he refused. He said that he wouldn't touch it because someone had stolen several parts from it and it wasn't in the teams' contract to replace "stolen parts"...

So, my local bike shop owner took the bike, fixed it with intent to start spinning...He sold me the spinner for the amount of the parts. Woo-hoo!

Support you local bike shops!

BTW, I'm naming the spinner...Greg, of course!
    Terry