Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vegan desserts?

vegan desserts?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone have any recipes for easy vegan dessserts? We're going to a cook-out this weekend, we've been asked to bring dessert, and at least one of the guests is vegan. Something that everyone will enjoy would be good.

By easy, I mean stuff that doesn't require unusual ingredients, or take lots of complicated steps. I can handle cocoa powder and soy milk, but I wouldn't know where to find vegan butter or dairy-free chocolate chips.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Why not tropical fruit, such as:

dragonfruit
    lichee/lichti fruit
    papaya
    mango
    longans/dragon eyes

If you do a google search, you will find photos for each fruit.
    Or get more safer: honeydew, cantaloupe, fresh whole figs
    Last edited by shootingstar; 11-03-2009 at 09:56 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

One nice tip is that you can sub applesauce for butter or oil and eggs in many recipes (it wouldn't work in things that butter makes flakey - like pie crust or biscuits). In fact I'd suggest it over vegan butter substitutes. The end product will be a little less light and fluffy, but works fine.

Of course there are recipes like quick breads (zuchinni bread, banana bread, pumpkin bread) that don't use butter in the first place. Sub in a little apple sauce for the egg and you'd be all set.

Tofu chocolate pie is super, super (I think it rivals pie made with whipping cream for richness). It's totally easy. 1 block of silken tofu, a teaspoon of vanilla, a 1/3 cup of strong coffee, tablespoon or two of honey and a package of bittersweet chips melted (almost all quality dark style chocolates are dairy free - just check the ingredients and of course avoid milk chocolate....). Melt the chocolate and mix with all of the ingredients except for the tofu. Put the chocolate mixture and the tofu in a blender and mix well.

The crust might be a bit trickier - I tried a cookie crust with vegan butter once - not too tasty... I'd try using almond oil or walnut oil to bind the crust or just leave it out and serve the tofu like mousse or layer with cookies like trifle.
    Last edited by Eden; 11-03-2009 at 09:28 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    but I wouldn't know where to find vegan butter or dairy-free chocolate chips.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    I can get margarine and dark chocolate chips at my Costco. Both of those are vegan. Make your usual recipe, just replace butter with margarine and milk chocolate chips with dark chocolate.

With the new allergen labelling requirements, it's very easy to see if milk or egg products are in something. Just don't buy any ingredients for your cookies that are labelled as containing milk or egg.

If buying ingredients for this cook-out would leave you with leftover things you might not use again, perhaps buy a prepared mix. Cravings Place makes vegan and gluten free brownie, cake, and cookie mixes that are WONDERFUL. I can get them at Kroger/Fred Meyer/QFC for about $5 a package. Usually all you add is oil and water.

You can also go to Trader Joe's and ask for the Vegan Food List, if you'd like to buy something ready-made or if you'd like to get your ingredients there. TJ's has several "specialty" lists, which makes it VERY easy to shop! (I love TJ's!)

ETA: ooh, Eden, I gotta make that pie!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

oh - btw - the chocolate tofu pie is definitely one of those things that ages well - tastes good on the first day after a few hours in the fridge hardens it up, but is even better the next day!
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

I have a recipie for a very delicious carrot cake that is vegan almost by accident. It just doesn't call for any eggs or fat, which also makes this a fat free carrot cake. It is moist, rich and full of flavour and is always a big hit. I can send you the recipie when I get home from work if you are interested. Very easy to make, but takes a little longer than some cakes in the oven. And tases even better if you have time to let the shredded carrots, brown sugar, spices and water sit for a few hours (or even over night) before mixing in the dry ingredients and baking. Baked in a bundt pan it also looks fabulous when turned out and decorated with a little icing. And because it doesn't contain any fats, it keeps for a long time without going stale (in case there is any leftovers).

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    ...Tofu chocolate pie is super, super (I think it rivals pie made with whipping cream for richness). It's totally easy. 1 block of silken tofu, a teaspoon of vanilla, a 1/3 cup of strong coffee, tablespoon or two of honey and a package of bittersweet chips melted (almost all quality dark style chocolates are dairy free - just check the ingredients and of course avoid milk chocolate....). Melt the chocolate and mix with all of the ingredients except for the tofu. Put the chocolate mixture and the tofu in a blender and mix well.
    Just a quick caveat...most vegans I know don't eat honey, can sugar/stevia/agave substitute?

Electra Townie 7D

grapes?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Just a quick caveat...most vegans I know don't eat honey, can sugar/stevia/agave substitute?
    I would guess any sweetener would be fine. I think I've even left the honey completely out without problems (I've subbed soymilk for coffee before and since its got a bit of sugar I've just left the honey out). It's not baking chocolate, so its got a fair amount of sugar in the first place.

Oh my gosh, these are all such great ideas!

Shootingstar and Biciclista: Fruit- duh! We can all use a healthy dessert, that's for sure.

Knot: It never even occurred to me that products containing milk and eggs have to be labeled as such now. Thanks for pointing that out!

Eden: I bake with applesauce all the time- another thing that just didn't occur to me- thanks!

UK_Elephant: I'd love to have that carrot cake recipe when you have time to post it.

I have a really good brownie recipe somewhere that doesn't call for eggs (I think). Some applesauce or non-dairy margarine, and I should be set! Maybe some strawberries on the side

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Last few years I gave up baking except for dessert foccacia/pizza:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=33085

I make my dough from scratch. But you could try it with pizza dough and embed the rolled out dough with fresh grapes, fresh peeled figs or blackberries. Sprinkle with grated ginger root, cinnamon, cardamon, nutmeg and drizzle at end with honey. Then pop into preheated 475 degree F oven (or approx.) Should be down in about 15 min. Serve warm.

Pizza dough shouldn't have eggs, any fats nor sugar.
    I've never tried it with premade pizza dough from store. I'm cheap...
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

The ppk has some AWESOME vegan cupcake recipes, or you can pick up a copy of Vegan with a Vengance at the bookstore.

I have found you can make pretty much any recipe by replacing the eggs with a flax seed/water combo, and any milk with rice/soy/almond milk. You really can't go wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by greenbeanvw View Post
    replacing the eggs with a flax seed/water combo
    Do you have a secret to the flax seed? I tried it once, and it was a disaster. (Pancakes of DOOM!) Do you let it sit for a while? What proportions do you use? Hot or cold water?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

http://www.theppk.com/veganbaking.html

This link is very helpful when using flax. I have never had it turn out badly. I just use pre-ground flaxseed (usually golden), and tepid water. You should try this waffle recipe. I promise you will redeem yourself from the pancake disaster.

Vegan Buttermilk Waffles

In a small bowl mix 3 tbls ground flax + 9tbls of water (1/2C + 1tbls) That there is your 3 eggs, promise! Set this concoction aside.

In a liquid measureing cup, measure out 1 1/2 cups of rice milk (or whatever milk you want) + 1tsp apple cider vinegar - and that would be your buttermilk. Set it aside.

In a medium bowl mix:
    2 cups flour (I have tried all-pupose and spelt, both work but you need a bit more than 2 cups if using spelt)
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt

To your milk, mix in:
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/4 cup of safflower oil (or any light oil)

Use a fork to slowly mix the wet into the dry (including your flax mixture) lumps are your friend, don’t over do it.

Ladle onto your lightly oiled waffle iron and cook per your devices recommendation. We like ours on the toasty side.

Sorry for the threadjack!

If substituting flax seed for eggs, besides letting it sit, get out a fork and beat it. That also helps turn the flax + liquid into a gelatinous mass. It not only binds like egg, but it is gooey like an egg.

Also, realize that the flax seed serves as a binder. If the egg in the recipe is for binding, then the flax alone will work; if the egg is also for leavening, then you need to bump up the leavening in the recipe (e.g., 1/4-1/2 t baking powder).

I've been playing with converting recipes to vegan. If you're trying to go true vegan, margarines are generally not vegan. White sugar and bleached white flour are not vegan (bone meal) and many chocolate chips will have milk products or milk derived ingredients. I'm surprised at how much milk and dairy permeate our food.

That said, if I were a dinner party guest and someone tried to make the dessert vegan, regardless of any oops's (e.g., honey), I'd be tickled pink that they tried and eat with a smile on my face. I'm not of the rabid vegan/vegetarian sort and anyone trying gets mega kudos in my book.

Things to consider (mostly based on cookie experimentation, but also brioche-style breads and some quick breads):

+ a good canola oil works for your butter (measure by equivalent weight, not volume); olive oil works for breads. In cookies, mix the oil with sugars, then separately mix up the egg substitute of choice (a protien rich faux milk seems to work better). Add the egg substitute to the oily sugar mixture and beat for about 2 minutes. You'll see the batter transform from an oily sugar to a smooth caramel consistency. You need this step to avoid an oily taste in the cookies.
    + don't overbake. I cannot stress this one enough. I'm amazed at how sensitive a cookie is to cooking time when you remove the eggs and butter. If you over cook, you'll end up with dry hocky pucks.
    + don't taste the cookies warm. Really. They're oily, but that goes away as they cool.
    + if you work with salted butter, remember that oil doesn't have that salt. You may need to compensate with more salt.

Oh, Eden's chocolate tofu.....decadent and amazingly good.