Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vegan desserts?

To disable ads, please log-in.

A-HA! My flax problem was I just added the ground flax and water to my pancake mix directly. I didn't mix them, let them sit, or beat them beforehand.

Cool! Thanks, you guys!

(mmmm, waffles....)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Willow Run margarine was the brand that we always carried in our natural food store, 30 years ago, for the vegan folks. I haven't read the label in ages though.

Also, when I was diagnosed with milk allergy, Country Crock brand in the crock (not in sticks) was casein free, but I don't know whether it was ever actually vegan.

Nowadays I try to stay away from trans fats. Has anyone been successful using coconut oil as shortening?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

This is one of my moste favorite desserts and it is dead simple.

http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/des...e_cinnamon.htm

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Nowadays I try to stay away from trans fats. Has anyone been successful using coconut oil as shortening?
    Not yet, but I use it on my hair and it is awesome. The container it comes in tells me I can use it to "butter" my toast and moisturize my skin. You can't lose.

fat free and vegan carrot cake recipe

In a saucepan, combine:
    2 cups packed finely grated carrots
    1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
    1 3/4 cups water
    1 cup raisins or other dried fruit
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat cover and let sit for at least an hour (longer is better)

In a large bowl, combine:
    3 cups unbleached white flour
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons baking powder

Stir together the dry ingredients to mix well and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 300F. Grease and flour a bundt pan.

Stir the cooled carrot mixture into the dry ingredients just until no trace of flour is left. Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake until the cake feels firm to the touch and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes on a rack, then invert onto a serving plate. To serve, dust with confectionar's sugar or a simple lemon glaze.

The cake comes out rich, moist and full of flavour. I had to remember not to call it fat free or vegan to my friends (all vociferous carnivores), but they all enjoyed it and I've made it many times since. The recipie comes from the "Moosewood Restaurant Book of Desserts" and there are lots more delicious recipies there....

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post

Not vegan, but...
    The recommendation I always see with coconut oil is that you have to use it where the coconut flavor would be desirable, but if it's in certain baked goods it may not be a problem. I think the melting point of coconut oil is lower than that of shortening, so you might have to take that into account too.

I actually signed up so I could answer this question. I'm really glad someone posted a link to the Post Punk Kitchen since thats the site that has helped me the most. There are a lot of great recipes that are vegan already or with small changes. A lot of wacky cake recipes are vegan and wonderful, even just sprinkled with powdered sugar. You could also make any sort of fruit by and substitute the butter with margarine (I highly recommend Earth Balance since its one of the only vegan butters I've tried that mimics butter in baking, especially in pastry - plus its available in sticks so its easy to measure). The chocolate tofu pie is another great idea, as well as peanut butter chocolate pies that are easy and taste like giant peanut butter cups.

Here are some recipes:
    Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie
    Wacky Cake (Chocolate Cake)

I have a ton more recipes if you had something in mind. Just keep in mind that not all margarine is vegan, some people are particular about sugar (cane sugar is often processed with bone char, but many generic sugars are beet sugar and are completely vegan), if using something processed read the label for things not on the allergen list like gelatin, and make sure to eat some of the batter

Quote Originally Posted by uk elephant View Post
    ....bake until the cake feels firm to the touch and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 1 hour.
    Have you ever used this recipe to make a sheet cake?
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

I ended up tracking down some vegan margarine (thanks Knott!) and making vegan brownies. They were a hit! The texture was a little gooey, perhaps because of the lack of eggs. I wonder if it's time to buy new baking powder? I baked them a little longer just to firm them up. The flavor was awesome!

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I know we'll be hanging with this group more often in the future, and now I have a stash of recipes to try. *bookmarks this thread*