Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

good idea, Eden!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I agree. We should plan a general route, and if events occur along the route, great, if not, too bad. If we try to get her to particular places at particular times, then we wind up having to do a lot of shipping and mailing and skipping areas and missing connections. Continent-to-continent is one thing, but this is supposed to be a BICYCLE tour when possible, and hopefully keeping the connections as short as possible when cycling isn't possible, and trying to do the hand-offs in person, right?

Can I make a general suggestion about covering the Americas.... subject to criticism now, and revision as time and seasons pass?

From South America north through California to the PNW and western Canada.

From there, east to the Rocky Mountains.

South along the Rocky Mountains to AZ

East to Texas

North through the Great Plains

East along the Great Lakes (including the Canadian side)

South through Appalachia

East through the Deep South and counterclockwise along the Florida coast (just for directionality... inland Florida could catch her in either direction, most likely)

North along the East Coast of the USA and possibly to anyone in eastern Canada we missed on the Great Lakes tour

Fly to the UK, then connect with Europe.

Comments, criticisms, sane or insane remarks?
    Oak, I agree we should try to keep the hands off in person if we can and the route you suggested makes perfect sense but I would really like for her to come through St Louis on her way to Indianapolis. I know there are lots of TE's on here from both places with me and a few others in the middle. I don't think that route would catch us.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Oh I was only being general of course! I didn't mean to exclude the ... [okay maybe if I knew the name for the part of the country you live in, maybe I would've been better about specifically including you ... sorry ]. I guess I was envisioning you on the eastern edge of the plains and zig-zagging up to Minnesota, but yeah, you could just as easily touch base from the Indy/Illinois side.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oak- I like your progression here. Looks good. Maidei has a lot of traveling still to do!

Red Rock

Well, it might be *next* spring before she gets to the east coast of the US. It looks like a long trip.

Oh, too neat!

I just found out about Maidei and have been reading the thread.

I don't know if she'll be anywhere near Kansas City, Missouri...but if she wanted a tour of City Market...
    Last edited by Fledgling; 04-17-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Fledgling, I hope she gets to come through Missouri, Illinois and on to Indiana. I really think she would enjoy seeing the Arch and the Mississippi River, don't you?

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Midwest

Most certainly. The Arch isn't something to miss. And whose life is really complete without taking a picture with the Nelson Atkins shuttlecocks?

Midwest

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Chick View Post
    Fledgling, I hope she gets to come through Missouri, Illinois and on to Indiana. I really think she would enjoy seeing the Arch and the Mississippi River, don't you?
    I think she would love to see the International Motor Speedway, I only live a mile from it Let's see, there is also Eagle Creek Park - and while I don't ride singletrack, Brown County State Park in the southern part of the state has some great singletrack that I bet someone could take her on! I could take her hiking on it, but I bet she would prefer to ride. There are other great places as well.

I know of some pretty neat places in Eastern Nebraska that she'd like to go, too.

For the Record, DH & I are planning a trip down the Katy Trail this fall. If Maidei is in the vicinity, she's more than welcome to come along. We could do an exchange with, um, whomever, near the Arch - or something like that.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Southwest

Is she coming to AZ (or vicinity) soon? My partner and I are going to bike along the north rim of the Grand Canyon for 4th of July (big US holiday) and I bet she'd love to see it!
    "I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." Susan B Anthony

Maidei's adventures in Canterbury

Very belatedly, here are photos of Maidei at the "Girls on Bikes" ride in Methven, Canterbury, New Zealand in February. It was the inaugural ride and with 750 finishers the biggest women only ride in New Zealand. A beautiful day and great bunches to ride with

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00122.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	11093

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00121.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	11094

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Thanks for these photos, kiwigirl. That sounds like a huge ride for only women! How was it promoted to get a huge participation rate?
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

apologies - I started writing this and I got a bit carried away, Shooting Star's question has really got my passion for the great state of women's cycling both as a elite and mass participation sport in New Zealand at the moment going...

I can't remember if I learnt about the event from seeing a poster in a bike shop window (and every bike shop I walked past for the 3 or 4 months before the race had one) or if I was on a mailing list because I did a (mixed) event by the same organisers last year. The ride had both a 35 and a 76 km option which opened it up to a range of riders.

Methven where the ride was is a small ski town, but Christchurch with a population of 335,000 is only 90 minutes drive away. One key thing is that there have been a couple of very very successful entry level womens only triathlon series (generally 200 m pool swim, 10 - 15 km bike 3 - 5km run) over the past 5 - 10 years that have been really positive in getting women to get into sports. Lots of people have gone on to these to be more involved in running, cycling or triathlon at a more competitive level. Most of the women I talked to at Girls on Bikes had started at one of these events

There are now lots of women who met through these events, various internet forums, training groups and (for triathletse) people who meet at the pool that word of mouth can be pretty good as well

Cycling is really on a high in New Zealand at the moment. There is a core group of men doing well in the pro circuit (two guys in the tour de France and Jesse Sergent won a stage in the tour de Gila a couple of days ago). The womens road programme doesn't get a lot of publicity but there is crossover from the track programme, particularly the coverage that the elite pursuters have got. Even though Sarah Ulmer has retired she is probably still one of the most respected athletes in any sport and of either gender in the country. She has put on a series of womens only rides around the country for a few years as well. Alison Shanks has carried on that success and that publicity for cycling (helped by the fact that a) she is really good, and b) her background in netball which is the highest profile womens sport in New Zealand.
    Last edited by kiwi girl; 05-02-2010 at 01:46 AM.

You might want to use this site to track Maidei's travels: http://www.whereivebeen.com/