Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    No one HAS to do anything. The shutterfly page was not intended to take the place of this thread. I personally thought it would be fun to be able to make a book of her travels and that can be done through shutterfly. I didn't realize it would cause such trouble. Was trying to do something nice actually.
    It's not a big deal, Possegal. No need to read too much into comments as overly negative or whatever.

I'm just lazy and like to avoid registering for a password for yet another web based tool that I probably won't use much/at all again. I'm just a jaded user of web based tools and online services which require user ids and passwords..

I look forward to Maidei's adventures.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Just as an update ... I've heard from HoosierGiant and we're hoping to be able to arrange an in-person handoff. Mail if that doesn't work, I guess, then Indianapolis next.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

any update on Maidei's progress yet. Where is she? Hope she hasn't passed up michigan yet
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

She is in Indiana now, I think I might get her next No way would we allow her to bypass Michigan!

We ran into a little hitch with the transfer. She's heading to HoosierGiant by mail this afternoon. Sorry for the delay!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

where is she now?

I've been having trouble reading posts lately so maybe I missed it but where is Maidei now What did she do on Thanksgiving? Where is she going next? I need an update please!
    I like bikes, sometimes more than my husband

Quote Originally Posted by jelee1311 View Post
    I've been having trouble reading posts lately so maybe I missed it but where is Maidei now What did she do on Thanksgiving? Where is she going next? I need an update please!
    She is in Indiana, somewhere. I hope to get her next but we will see where she is in relationship to others in Indiana who might also want her.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Must be getting cold where Maidei is.
    Today it snowed gentle fluffies. We had very cold weather, then thaw due to chinook.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I was wondering the same thing. I hope she had a good Thanksgiving! Is she in Indiana?

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Where is Maidei? Is she still in Indiana?Where is she spending christmas?We have not heard from her in a long time. Could we get an update please.
    I like bikes, sometimes more than my husband

She just arrived at my house today, and I think there might be a couple of others in Indiana who would like to host her as well.

Maidei comes to Indiana (Part 1)

Maidei had a quiet Thanksgiving. So quiet, I forgot to take photos. We dined on homemade deep-dish pizza and fresh veggies, followed by mock pecan pie and chocolate-chip pie.

Travels around the area began with a trip to the Knightstown Academy, which was built as a Quaker Academy in 1877. Designed in Second Empire style, the structure has a mansard roof and twin, four-story towers topped by the building's unique and most notable features -- a globe and a telescope. The Academy served as a local high school before being taken out of service and nearly torn down. In the end, it was renovated as senior apartments.

Attached to the Knightstown Academy is a small gymnasium that now holds world acclaim. This was Maidei's second stop. That old-time gym was the setting for the home court of the Hickory Huskers in the 1985 movie Hoosiers. No trip through this area is complete without a visit to the Hoosier Gym, as it is now known. Visitors can not only sit in the stands and tour the downstairs locker room, but also shoot a few hoops. Maidei didn't try to put the ball in the basket, but she did take a close look at center court.

In what may have been a first, Maidei took her bike onto the court. Note the banner in the background, one of the remaining props from Hoosiers. While a road bike on the playing floor is a bit out of the ordinary, the Hoosier Gym is regularly used as a SAG for the Raintree Ride (formerly Stride & Ride), which includes a metric century.

Last edited by HoosierGiant; 12-11-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    "If we know where we want to go, then even a stony road is bearable." ~~ Horst Koehler

Maidei comes to Indiana (Part 2)

History lesson. Knightstown is located on the National Road, which was one of the first major improved highways built by the federal government. The project began in Cumberland, Maryland, in 1811, with the road eventually stretching to Vandalia, Illinois, by 1839. Along the way, the road passed through Knightstown, Indiana. Now known as U.S. 40, this highway was the most traveled east-west road through central Indiana until the construction of Interstate 70, which took away traffic and syphoned the life out of many small communities along the route.

Here's Maidei at a Historic National Road sign just outside of town.

Since we're on U.S. 40, figuratively speaking, it's relevant to mention that every year around 1,500 cyclists take a literal trip down this historic corridor during the annual Ride Across INdiana, better known as the RAIN ride. This one-day, one-way, 160-mile ride starts on the Illinois-Indiana state line and travels to Richmond, Indiana. The route is primarily on U.S. 40 and includes passage through the heart of Knightstown.

Since Maidei couldn't be here in mid-July for RAIN, she settled for a quick spin to Dunreith, Indiana, the last SAG for the ride. The Dunreith Volunteer Fire Department hosts and runs the stop, which is the favorite of many RAIN riders, thanks in part to the availability of popsicles.

One of the features of the Knightstown area is the Big Blue River, which originates in Henry County (the local county). Much of the Big Blue remains untouched, as can be seen in this photo.

"If we know where we want to go, then even a stony road is bearable." ~~ Horst Koehler

Maidei comes to Indiana (Part 3)

Next stop: Greensboro, Indiana. Okay, so there's really not a lot to see in Greensboro. The post office is a mobile home (I'm not making this up), and the local church has had a sign up for months that uses the word "Christion". This is small-small-town Indiana. But, there's a bit of history in this place, which once had five gristmills in the immediate area. Most notable is that Greensboro was once a stop on the Underground Railroad, as Maidei learned during her visit.

About three miles outside of Greensboro is Westwood Park -- a 750-acre park with a 180-acre lake. Created by the Big Blue River Conservancy District and opened to the public in 1974, the park is home to one of the state's best and most scenic mountain bike trails. The 10-mile, one-way path circles the lake, offering some great views of the water. Spotting white-tail deer and other woodland critters is common. Lucky riders might also have an owl swoop down the trail ahead of them or catch sight of any number of majestic fowl, from trumpeter swans in the spring to sand hill cranes migrating overhead in the fall.

Winter had set in by the time Maidei got a chance to take a spin on the trail.

It was good to have Maidei's company, and I wish her well on her future adventures. She left my home having made new friends here, including Xero, my husband's office cat. (Yes, the cat is named after bike wheels. We're such cycling geeks.)

Looks like Maidei is having a great time in Indiana. No visit to Indiana would be complete without a visit to the Hoosier gym! How cool!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme