Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My homemade panniers for commuting

To disable ads, please log-in.

I didn't want to invest too much into panniers or rack bags until I knew quite what I wanted. So I made some of my own out of some briefcase bags I never use.

I use one bag to carry the clothes I change into at work and the other to carry lunch and mid-day workout clothes. One bag stays in the bike shower area, the other comes up w/ me to my office.

Total investment about $15.

Here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	1250 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	10318   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	889 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	10319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	747 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	10321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	643 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	10322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006a.jpg 
Views:	624 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	10323  

Very clever. Great pictures, too.

I saw a bike parked in front of my local Trader Joe's a couple of weeks ago with homemade panniers made out of two white plastic Fresh Step kitty litter bins. I like yours better.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Excellent work!!! They look professional, too! Nicely done. I'm really impressed with your pannier building skills.

Where did you find the hooks and the cord setup? I looked all over for those when making my own panniers but couldn't find them anywhere.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Just great, hoff! It's an excellent way of using such freebie bags that one gets from conferences,etc.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Very nice! Thanks for the back shot to show how they attach. Did you put a solid backing inside the bag to attach the hooks?

Sarah

what a great idea! You did an excellent job... slightly envious of your super cool panniers...

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    OMG, I think I recognize those briefcases. I think our office laptop is carried in one! Or, maybe I just see them on Metro all the time.
    Very well done.
    I, too, would be interested to hear how you made those hooks. I think I have a briefcase or two downstairs I can dust off and re-purpose!

Very well done.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Come on now, stop taunting us!
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Oh I like them! And I'm jealous. I don't even have a rack

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Excellent work!!! They look professional, too! Nicely done. I'm really impressed with your pannier building skills.

Where did you find the hooks and the cord setup? I looked all over for those when making my own panniers but couldn't find them anywhere.
    I got the hooks and cords online from Jandd.

Heavy J-Hook Stainless w/ Protector (ea)
    Product ID: FWSA-HJH

Bungie Strap for Panniers Long
    Product ID: WSA-BUN2

I used sides from a 3-ring binder to stiffen up the side of the bag near the wheels. They are tucked in the zipper area under the bungee.

The beige webbing was (were?) the handles from yet another old briefcase bag.

Also, the hooks are attached to a stiff plastic piece that runs along the top of the bag. These were cut from some leftover homebuilding materials by husband.

I do have to have these set all the way towards the back of the rack to avoid heel strike.

I do like the kitty litter bucket idea too. I might make some of these for days I expect to get rained on.
    Last edited by hoffsquared; 10-31-2009 at 03:48 AM.

Take a look at Arkel

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    OMG, I think I recognize those briefcases. I think our office laptop is carried in one! Or, maybe I just see them on Metro all the time.
    Very well done.
    I, too, would be interested to hear how you made those hooks. I think I have a briefcase or two downstairs I can dust off and re-purpose!
    Arkel sells the hook kits separately. I think they are the best ones out there

http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/acc...asp?fl=1&site=

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    Very clever. Great pictures, too.

I saw a bike parked in front of my local Trader Joe's a couple of weeks ago with homemade panniers made out of two white plastic Fresh Step kitty litter bins. I like yours better.

Roxy
    I have a set of those bucket panniers (not kitty litter buckets though, just white square buckets I got from a local bakery)--you're right, they're not the prettiest thing, but they work!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Great job - these look very nice. I've been meaning to try this for ages but like others couldn't find the hardware.

The current panniers I use also stick out quite far at the back and I had a driver yell at me that my rear blinkie wasn't visible from the side because of them. I hadn't realised that and now I've added an additional blinkie - I see you also have one attached to one of the bags.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Thanks, Hoffsquared! I did searches all over online for some hooks and didn't pop up anything. The ones I managed to make work were much more expensive than that and not nearly as good quality. Thanks- I'm ordering some for the next time I make my own panniers (which I'm wanting to make cute/fancy ones next). Thanks!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike