Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting?

Lighting?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Given the pending time change, I'm wondering how TE's have equipped their bikes for commuting during dusk or in the dark. Especially interested in front light setups.

I have a spanking new Light and Motion Stella 180 on my mtb currently commuterbike, that's one helluva bright baby on full but if I'm careful to tilt it down I may not blind all oncoming drivers. I may move it to my helmet, but again, I'm worried about accidentally swiping someone and blinding them. I ride mostly on bike paths and city roads with some lighting, some stretches that are just partially lit. Mostly paved so I don't really need to see the ground that well.

I have a Sigma Karma on my winter bike. I like it, or did last I used it, last winter. A Superflash in back, love that one. And a couple of small blinkies in reserve in case my batteries run out unexpectedly or I break something.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I have a Light & Motion Stella 120 on my commuter bike (I love it!), and a Knog Toad as a front blinkie. I have a Trek blinkie taillight on the back. I'm pretty happy with this setup.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I have ree lights on my front and rear tires (magnetic lights that blink with the rotating tires and don't need batteries) and on my head I have a really bright Petzl light. Most of the roads I ride have streetlights, so I don't really need bright for seeing, just for being seen.

Now on the back I'm lit up like a Christmas tree. A seatpost knog blinking, a super bright blinking light on the rear rack, a light on the back of my helmet, and a safety triangle that has a built in LED strip that blinks (along with reflective tape on the frame and fenders) and the ree light on the rear tire. You can't miss me from the back.

For side illumination I have a green "glow stick" thing that blinks that sits under my downtube. It illuminates from the side and down onto the street.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

During the winter, I use a NiteRider TriNewt headlight, and Cateye LD1100 and Planet Bike Superflash taillights. I also recently added a FibreFlare side light that I obtained from Australia with a friend's help. They'll be available in the U.S. in another month or two.

It sounds like a lot of lighting, but my commute is poorly lit and has heavy vehicle traffic along most of the route. I'd rather err on the side of caution.
    Last edited by Becky; 10-29-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Grammar!

I forgot to mention all the reflective tape (DOT certified for trailers/boats/etc.) I have on my fenders, helmet and rack, as well as large front and rear regular reflectors. I decided to err on the side of being seen.

Deb

Recently bought a Mity Cross light by Cygolite. I'm very satisfied. It has all the modes I need (high, med, low solid beam, flashing, SOS), and it lights my way very well. (I ride through a totally dark road with no lights at all, and high-speed traffic.)

When I was just riding across town on semi-lit roads, I was fine with a small solid beam and a Planet Bike front light, just to be visible.

I have at least two or three rear lights for some reason.

My commuter has dynamo lights that it came with - I think the headlamp is Lumitec brand. I'm happy with it but it's positioned low down the stem and if I put anything in my front basket some of the light is blocked. I'm currently looking at the Knog Toad or Skink to put on the handlebar as a "be seen" light.

I also added these lights to my wheels which I love - I don't know how much more they help me be seen from the side, as I've never seen them on another bike but they certainly get lots of comments!

The other item I've been eyeing up is a bicycle helmet with rechargeable lights integrated into it. Not bright enough to light your way but good to be seen by.

Thanks everyone!

So far I have a Superflash on the back (I ride with this on all the time). Some sort of blinkie that hangs off my pannier. An inexpensive headlight that I set on flashing mode whenever I ride. I also have reflective tape on my helmet and bike spokes. They are lightweights.

I'll take a look at these suggestions and make sure I have enough lighting 'omph'.

I use Ayup (http://www.ayup.com.au/) lights and swear by them. The first time I rode with them, it was like night and day (ha ha, get it?) compared to my original lights.

On my first ride out with them, I was able to discern the presence of a Path Ninja at 100m. At 50m, I was able to determine what exactly it was (Path Ninja = pedestrian wearing nothing but black, in the middle of the night, with no lighting whatsoever), and take steps to avoid them. With my other light, there’s no chance I would’ve seen them.

On that same ride, on the tail end of the ride which goes through a shopping centre, cars actually gave way to me. These bright lights command respect, yo.

With a handlebar light directed about 10m in front of me, and the helmet-mounted light giving me visibility whereever my head happens to point, these lights are a winner.

The lights are very bright indeed. Ayup have just released a flashing battery pack, but unless you want to induce seizures in other road users, I do not recommend using these lights in flashing mode. Even those little blinkies sometimes do my head in (literally).

Now, I know what you’re thinking.. this is an Australian product! You want to buy local! Well.. I hear ya. I’m sure there are alternative products that are local to you. On the other hand, don’t let geography limit you.

Check out their YouTube samples

As for the back.. I use a Basta superflash. True to its name, it's super-bright. It does the job, but now that I'm going to be commuting, I think I'll need to get another rear light or two - particularly something that can attach to my backpack.

Max

After 8 years of riding with battery powered lights I finally adapted to the reality of my work. I often get caught staying late at work in the summer months, when I'm not always charging my batteries every night and having my main light die on the way home. This summer I decided it was time to go to a generator/dynamo so there is always a full powered lighting system. I have a Shimano hub generator with a BM Lumotec IQ Cyo N Plus LED headlight and a BM D toplight taillight. These are always there, and both have capacitors that keep them running at stoplights.

I'm a strong believer in redundant systems, so I also have Petzl Myo RXP mounted on my helmet, in flashing mode usually, as well as a Planet Bike Superflash, also in flashing mode on the back of my helmet. This gives me both a steady and a flashing light front and rear, plus all of the reflectors & safety triangle. For side lighting I have Pedal Lites that shine white to the front, yellow to the side, and red to the rear. These are also magnetic generators and require no batteries.

My investment in my dynamo & it's lights was $330. I am quite satisfied. My light would not do for singletrack or technical riding, but it is at least as good as my old 30W halogen system, and almost as good as my Princeton Tec Switchback 2. Admittedly, the tail light doesn't put out nearly as much light as my old home-built 56 LED taillight, but it weighs 10 pounds less.
    Last edited by newfsmith; 10-31-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: It's a dynamo not a dynamoo, although that sounds neat too.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by newfsmith View Post
    Admittedly, the tail light doesn't put out nearly as much light as my old home-built 56 LED taillight, but it weighs 10 pounds less.
    A 56 LED taillight? Holy moly! That must be one bright light!

I'm looking into getting this light after daylight saving's time and the mornings get dark again:

http://www.rei.com/product/795699

It recharges by plugging into a USB port- which is easy to do at work. Plus, it's more than twice as bright as my current Petzl light, small, and needs no batteries (I'm all about using things that don't need batteries).

I need to look into those pedal lites.
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 10-31-2009 at 03:32 PM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

i am just dealing with night riding for the first time, and my lighting was insufficient.. back to the drawing board.

I'm very happy with the light that I recently purchased. It's the Light and Motion Vega 120. I struggled last year to find the right light for me but this one is perfect.

The Magicshine 900 lumen Lightset is a pretty sweet light for a really good price. My husband uses these for night riding on the mtn bike trails. They have a high, low and strobe mode.

http://www.geomangear.com/