Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    Snap - don't try to pass that picture off as you. There isn't a zipper scar on his neck!!
    Not to mention my eyebrows aren't quite that fuzzy.....

so I tagged along with a couple of co-workers to the vaccination clinic. I still wasn't sure if I should get it or not. Talked to the nurse, and she basically said it's a measured risk either way you look at it. Just because I'm healthy doesn't mean I won't get sick, and especially with my dad in such an immune compromised state she said it would be wise. I even ended up getting the seasonal flu shot which I wasn't going to get.

In retrospect, I regret getting them. I do believe that I would've been fine without them, and this will likely be the very last time I'll get a flu shot.

p.s. my H1N1 arm is SOOO sore, the seasonal flu arm's not nearly as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    so I tagged along with a couple of co-workers to the vaccination clinic. I still wasn't sure if I should get it or not. Talked to the nurse, and she basically said it's a measured risk either way you look at it. Just because I'm healthy doesn't mean I won't get sick, and especially with my dad in such an immune compromised state she said it would be wise. I even ended up getting the seasonal flu shot which I wasn't going to get.

In retrospect, I regret getting them. I do believe that I would've been fine without them, and this will likely be the very last time I'll get a flu shot.

p.s. my H1N1 arm is SOOO sore, the seasonal flu arm's not nearly as bad.

I don't understand. Why do you regret getting them?

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    s
    Why?

I've been sick for almost a week with no end in sight. VERY unusual for me. I'm usually 2-3 days down & then I rise like a Phoenix from the ashes. I even went to my doctor (another first) who said I was getting a secondary sinus infection & rx'd antibiotics (which I very rarely take.)

Thanksgiving will be a bust - I don't want to pass this on to anybody. The cough is brutal, the headache is migraine proportions (and throbs after coughing.) This flu laughs at OTC remedies - I get maybe 1-2 hours of partial relief. Doc said that isn't unusual either. I look like I've been crying for days because my eyes are so swollen.

Trust me. You don't want this. Massage your arm, put ice on it & get on your bike. Take a ride for me, please!

Oh - that's another thing. Our weather? 75 degrees, clear, sunny & no wind.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

got my shot

Got my H1N1 shot at the office yesterday, and like an idiot I gave them my arm with the sore shoulder attached. Fortunately this morning I don't have more than the usual amount of stiffness.

Baby Sister had a bonefied case of H1N1 - and was sick enough to be threatened with hospilization (she has underlying medical issues). Normally she's in the "no flu shot" bandwagon - but after having piggie flu, her advice was "get the shot."
    Beth

I do wish I'd been able to get the vaccine before I caught the piggie flu. (I was scheduled to get the vaccine the next week... oops, too late!)

My bout was pretty mild, only out for two days. But that's 2 days of vacation time GONE. It took about 2 weeks for the sore throat and fatigue to go away, and about 4 days for the vampire eyes to go away. I was real purty.

I'd rather have got the vaccine, even though I was lucky enough to get the "piglet" version of the flu.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

My 4-1/2 yo grandson was admitted to the hospital today. He got the swine flu about 5 days ago, and was on Tamiflu, but today his fever spiked up to 105.3, and he has a high white blood cell count. Lungs are clear. Since he was a preemie (30 weeks), the lungs thing is really good news. They don't know what the infection is, though. They are putting him on IV antibiotics, and only going to keep him for one night for observation (crossing fingers that no hospital germs take a hitchhike in his little body).

It's also sad because his mother is nursing his 8 mo baby brother, and the baby is not allowed in the hospital (good idea). But that means she and my son are splitting their time around based on the baby brother, and big brother may not like that his mama has to leave when he's feeling so poorly.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Interesting reading, if a bit patronizing in a doctor-ish sort of way
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

It is interesting, and I didn't find it patronizing at all. It sounded like a doctor trying to do a good job and understand how to do better.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Had the "ordinary" flu one year, got it in the first week of December.

It was MARCH before all the secondary crap cleared out completely. MOST of that time I spent doing next to nothing.

I get a flu shot every winter since then. Don't want any of it ever again!

I don't know from the swine flu, don't want to find out first hand about it. If they ever get around to letting healthy middle aged women get the darned thing, I'll get the shot.

Karen in Boise

I guess I regretted getting them because of listening to the "no-shot" arguments and the very rare but scary side effects (mainly of that poor girl who's not normal unless she runs or walks backwards).

I won't know if I would have gotten it or not, but you guys are right that I would have regretted NOT getting the shot if I did end up getting the H1N1.

But it's all water under the bridge, whether I got it or not so I should just focus on other things!

Hope your grandson's going to have a speedy recovery, Karen!

Dogmama - That sounds horrible. I hope you feel better soon...

The shot is available to only those in high-risk groups (at work, where I get my flu shots--they are free, well, not free but free to employees ). If they get enough to vaccinate the rest of us, I'm seriously reconsidering and thinking about getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    My 4-1/2 yo grandson was admitted to the hospital today. He got the swine flu about 5 days ago, and was on Tamiflu, but today his fever spiked up to 105.3, and he has a high white blood cell count.
    Karen, I'm so sorry! Please keep us posted!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Thanks...he's staying at least another night and possibly 7 days total for IV antibiotics. We'll know tomorrow. He has a streptococcal infection in his bloodstream, one of those resistant ones. We spoke on the phone this morning and he sounded chipper, but said the hospital was "stupid wupid". lol. So, he's much better than yesterday and on the mend, but really bored, tied to the bed, and there's no Thomas the Tank Engine on the tv. But if he's annoyed that means he's getting better. whew.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Thanks for the update Tuck. Keeping him in my thoughts and hoping he feels better soon.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler