Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boston-area fitters recommendations

To disable ads, please log-in.

Considering a pro fit beyond the $50 "quickie" I got when I bought my bike. Just wondering if anyone has a fitter they love, how much they paid, and what they got for their money. Willing to travel within an hour of Boston...

Thanks!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Belmont Wheelworks has good fitters.

Good Fitter Metro-West

My 2 cents-Landry's. I have been impressed with Andy @ the Natick store.

Thanks, both of you. I've also personally had a good experience shopping at Cycle Loft -- they were the only store that fit me to a bike before I rode it, and even that super-quick fit was perfect.

The $50/20 minute fit I got nearby just isn't cutting it. I'll have to compare the different options...

Thumbs up Bike Fitter in MA

Hands down-- Seth Brosnan of Competitive edge E Longmeadow....
    Has drawn a following from an entire womens race team and their racing husbands.. Many who've gone through timely and costly gimmick machine fittings... and who wouldn't consider going anywhere else... NO BONES ABOUT IT SEE SETH AND ONLY SETH... VERY REASONABLE$ AND BE PREPARED FOR 2-3 HRS....
    "Competition is often won or lost on the 6 inch playing field between the ears."

Greg @ Cycling PT

A fitter who goes above and beyond is Greg Robidoux who is a physical therapist by trade. When he fits, he takes into consideration your anatomy along with any past injuries. To me, this makes quite a difference. http://www.thecyclingpt.com/Site2/Home.html

My boyfriend, who is hardcore about cycling, went to Fitwerx in Peabody when he bought his newest Serotta last year. He said the fit was around $200 (I think) and worth every penny - said they did an awesome job!

www.fitwerx.com

I second Fitwerx in Peabody. I bought a roadbike at another Boston area LBS and got their basic fitting. Right away, I could tell it wasn't right. After the Fitwerx fitting, it was 100X better! They did leg measurements, looked at my flexibility, watched my pedal stroke. The fit was $200 and took about 1.5 hrs, but was worth every penny. Bonus- If you buy a bike there, the cost of the fitting is included or discounted.

Belmont Wheelworks! just don't dare go there for a fit without cycling shorts (I have seen people show up without shorts)
    I work next to Cycleloft. They seem like a nice bunch of people, but I am Belmont-loyal. Anyway - the selection of women's clothing at Cycleloft is dreadful. You will have much more fun at belmont. Just avoid it on the weekends when there is nice weather.

I'm surprised to hear that Belmont Wheelworks does fittings. I went in there right before spring to buy a commuter and do a parts swap onto my new road frame but immediately changed my mind when I asked about fittings and the gentlemen I was working with old me that they didn't offer fits. Needless to say my experience with them was rather frustrating and a total dead end.

the more I walk over to Cycle Loft (I work almost across the street), the more I like them. At Belmont, it is even hard to get someone to unlock the dressing room! I have had some nice conversations with 2 of the women that work there.

Yes, I got my fitting done by a nice guy at Belmont -- down in the basement room. The old guy there (can't remember his name) is supposed to be an amazing fitter.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny_ninja View Post
    The old guy there (can't remember his name) is supposed to be an amazing fitter.
    John Allis. Former National Champion and coach of Harvard's Women's cycling team, I believe. I had a basic fitting with him 2 years after I bought my first road bike there. He was able to make some signiifcant changes for me (turns out top tube was a little short, seat too low) with just watching me ride on the trainer. I don't know what they do for more technical fittings.

I did have an in depth fitting at FitWerx (in Vermont) last year on my current road bike. It was very involved with body measurements, flexibility measurements, video measurements. Turns out my current bike was pretty much right on. They give you a digital copy of all the measurements and you can get a discount at any time in the future if you buy a bike from them.

They have a store in Peabody, but I would recommend going to Vermont and making a weekend of fitting and riding. Beautiful country!

Pedal Power in Acton, MA!
    "I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house. So I spend almost all the daylight hours in the open air." -Nathaniel Hawthorne

Ah, yeah, just don't take the surliness of Mr. Pedal Power too seriously, or the weirdness of Joyce . Seriously, they are OK, have been in business a long time, and I know them fairly well, as DS worked there. It's a good shop for new riders; one of my friends bought a flat bar roadie there and has been very happy. The selection of women's clothing has improved, too, although way too much $.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I basically try to remain positive about things, keep complaints low, but I can't with this one. I had the most terrible fitting experience I have ever had at Pedal Power in Acton, and I'll announce it to anyone I can if it can prevent someone else from having a bad experience. Based on my experience and comparison of fitters, I would never recommend a fitting at Pedal Power in Acton. I feel that Mr. Pedal Power (and the Mrs.) are pretty inept when it comes to fitting. First, he refused to fit me with my saddle that I brought in. It somehow didn't fit his idea of an appropriate saddle. Then, he couldn't understand why I was having some pain and needed to scootch back on one of the saddles that he did put on. He apparently couldn't think outside of the box - that particular feedback didn't resonate with him, he was a bit stumped and continued with some other outrageous suggestions illustrating that he was not good at either observing someone on a bike and/or listening to the feedback of the consumer. That and a few other outrageous ill-fitting suggestions, such as trying to fit me on one of those spongy noseless saddles for an aggressive position on a carbon fiber road frame even after I told him I'd be riding in paceline on occasion. Apparently, some of the adjustments that I needed were slightly outside of his measurement system (he uses Body Scan CRM) and he just didn't know how to deal with it. He finally gave up on fitting me. Just gave up and wouldn't continue! He already had my money on a credit card and refused to give me my money back. Bozos no matter how you look at it.

A few weeks later I went to Belmont Wheelworks and got fitted by John Allis, a phenomenal guy (the one wavedancer calls out). Yup, could just watch me on the bike and know what was needed. He fit me on the saddle I brought in, made some adjustments and I was on my way with a happy fit.