Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thank you. I didn't want to sound very negative. I have never bought a bike there or had a fitting, the relationship is purely "acquaintance," from DS working there and just generally being in the group of people around here who ride. It's the closest shop to my house (3 miles) and we generally do not go there for anything, except in emergency.
    Of course, I would say the same thing about the shop where I bought my bike, ATA Cycle in Concord. I got fitted on the fancy laser thing, with all the computer stuff and he still sold me a bike that was too big. He didn't "get" any of my concerns and it wasn't until he realized that every time I was in the shop and saw people I knew, that he decided he would let me me "exchange" the frame for one that fit for "free," as he knew I was going to blab about the poor fitting all over Acton, Boxborough, and Concord (of course, DH whispering, "you know, she knows EVERYONE," kinda helped). I did my own research about the bars I needed and the short reach levers and one of the shop employees tried bad mouthing the bars I bought (at Cycle Loft) for them to install when I brought it in. Yet, my DH is fine on his bike; I chalk it up to the fact he's a guy with no unusual physical features to be considered.
    If I ever buy another road bike, I have no idea where I will go. I don't trust anyone. I had bad experiences at Landry's and Wheelworks, but of course now, I know so much more thanks to TE.
    Last edited by Crankin; 03-09-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'm not sure if they do the really hard-core fittings, but JRA Cycles in Medford, MA, is hands-down the friendliest shop I've encountered. Not a single person there has attitude, which is really refreshing. They are a bit under the radar as they're known more for mountain/cross/commuters/BMX, but they have a good supply of road bikes too.

My main road bike was fitted by John Allis at Wheelworks and he did a great job...although the final adjustments were done on a day where they were quite busy (an issue at Wheelworks, even though this was on a weekday afternoon!) and it felt he was distracted. So I may have had to do more tweaking than otherwise. Still, the basic fit was great and John is super. I believe, though, that he and his wife retired to NH last year.

I didn't know Greg Robidoux did fittings - I would recommend him just based on his being a super-nice person!

Crankin, I've also found that ATA isn't the greatest store with women. I've had that experience with Quad as well. Why do shop owners feel like it's a good idea to yell at a customer? Yes, I know I'm terrible at maintenance - but there are better ways to communicate that!

The thing is, Hussam (the owner at ATA) is super nice to me, even though he has no idea what I need. But, I do get what you mean. I fall into a category that he doesn't know how to deal with. I am not a young racer type and I don't even do fast club rides. But I ride over 3K a year at a decent pace and cycling is most definitely the biggest part of my life style. I also am not a newbie who is looking for a cruiser. DH has referred several people from work there and they all have been very happy, including one woman. I think he saw that I could afford the Kuota I bought and thought he would take advantage of that. I guess I won in the end... I loved it when my former exchange student who was a pro for a few years went in the shop with me and told him "Don't you think you can do something for her?" when it was quite obvious I could not reach the brakes in the drops on the original frame they sold me.
    I bought my Jamis Coda Femme at Quad... I researched it, knew what I wanted and they had a 44cm in the shop. DH picked up a Coda Sport. I am sure the guy thought we were old and unfit people looking for a little fun. We were in and out in 2 hours. But, i have heard about their condescending attitude toward women riders.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'll put in a plug for a TERRIFIC shop for women and men - Bikeway Source in Bedford (conviently located at the end of the Minuteman Bike Path).

Chris Li is a terrific guy and really knows his stuff. DH and I have known him for a long time, and everyone we have sent there has left happy.

He's also the only game in town for a good selection of higher-end x-country ski gear.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com