Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, once Newfsmith rides to Concord to me the choice is do I go east to meet someone closer to Boston, or do I go west and meet Jolt somewhere? It's either someone closer to Boston rides here and arrives at the same time as Newfsmith, or I ride a bit east (I won't ride in the city, but can get close enough) and the next person heads west to Jolt (that would be a longer ride for them). Once we get past where Jolt is in Worcester, we could have some of the CT people head west, inching toward NY. There are a couple of people in Western MA that might be able to ride to Bleeker St. in NY. I know there is someone on this list who lives in Blanford, but I can't remember who. Bleeker is about 25 miles from Gt. Barrington.
    This is complicated.

I live about 20 miles southeast of Hartford, CT in a little country town called Amston. My friend, another TE member, lives in Manchester, CT.

If someone gets "IT" to me, I could ride to Manchester, CT and then I can ask her if she could maybe head north into Massachusetts. Then someone from Mass could meet her at the border.

Or if the route is going south, maybe someone from Rhode Island could bike into southern CT and I could pass it off to them there.

I would love to part of the route. I am just a slow, recreational biker, but I love this idea. I would be willing to do a maximum of 50 miles.

Lynette
    Last edited by Over50Newbie; 10-31-2009 at 04:29 PM.

I'm not exactly sure what the ultimate goal is...trying to get "IT" to as many TE members as possible or trying to get "IT" to cover as much ground as possible? I too am a newer rider and can only pull about 30...maybe 40 miles max. I'm not aware of any TE members within 100 miles of me however I would be willing to travel a bit and possibly ride a short bit with some others -that is if the idea is to get "IT" into the hands of as many TE members as possible. I have a niece up at WPI that I'd like to visit since she has been there 3 years and I haven't seen the school yet. I'm also planning a bike touring trip with my DH in the DC area in April.
    Last edited by drdwin; 10-31-2009 at 05:05 PM.

I can ride into Boston, it just is a northern route rather than a western. That would probably make more sense, but so far no one from the city has expressed an interest.

Newfsmith, what if you rode into Arlington, where you could meet Deb? Of course, I am speaking for Deb . Then Deb could ride to me and I (or all of us) could ride to meet Jolt somewhere between Concord and Worcester. Then we could all head back our separate ways. I think that makes sense.

That works for me. If someone in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville/Newton/Brookline wants to participate it would be easy to pick them up along the way.

Wouldn't it be cool ----CT rides....

Quote Originally Posted by indigoiis View Post
    I just thought I'd start a thread for those of us in the Northeast to start discussing routes and movements for the project. Can everyone who is interested in the project from the Northeast chime in? The main thread for this is under the general topics forum, cycling related (?) not sure, but it starts with "Wouldn't it be cool if..."
    Also posted this under the original thread....

Our group has just begun to offer monthly rides at varying locations throughout the state. By capitalizing on those routes, much of CT would be mapped from CT/RI border all the way up to Western MA ( around Longmeadow)... see attached for locations.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Competition is often won or lost on the 6 inch playing field between the ears."

Could someone post a link to the thread that says what "IT" is?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by indigoiis View Post
    I think our portion will probably start in the Spring when it gets warmer. But I think what I will do is start a list with everyone's location, so that we can then plot a route.

So so far we have: (copy and paste this list and add your name to the list)

Indigoiis South County, RI (routes 165 and 102 into CT, or route 1/1A into CT [South] Willing to do 65-100 miles. Can travel to pick up point.

RedRhodie Newport, RI

Ridenread Dartmouth, MA
    speaking for myself, will drive to RI or Mass NH border or ride east/west/south/north CT 40-60 miles.... see what we can do about getting that "spring" date nailed down- and happy to loop in my posse :-)
    "Competition is often won or lost on the 6 inch playing field between the ears."

wave

I live on the CT shore, just east of New Haven. Sadly, there are very few routes toward RI other than 80 or worse, Rt. 1. Heading west to NY is a lot easier, more roads to choose from. I'm good for 50-60 miles. I could also meet someone along the 91 corridor and head south or southwest.

I am going to make a google spreadsheet to work all of this out. If you want to be shared, PM me your gmail address.

Here is what I am thinking: We should group ride. So, we RIers and Southern CTers meet up, move West and North, while Eastern Massers move concurrently West, we meet at a Worcester location and hand off to a group that has met at that point, also from points North, South and West.

So it would be group rides, moving from the Atlantic at Newport (or the Cape, whichever furthest East) West through Mass.

I am also thinking this thing might come East and North via PA and NY, so we may have to wait and see... but I will make the spreadsheet and add everyone on as we work through.
    I can do five more miles.

Here is a read-only link to the google spreadsheet.

If you would like to be able to edit, plesae pm me your gmail address, and I will share it with you.
    I can do five more miles.

This is looking like it is shaping up. I am not sure how well I would do riding in a group as I am not very fast. I can ride 40- 50 miles and meet up with someone somewhere.
    Lauren

Just a quick mention here, as I posted in the original thread-- I am available for the Western New York section. I am game on camping too if we need to stretch the way between connections.