Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Swimming - wrinkles around eyes from the gogles?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi experienced triathletes!

I am seeking wisdom of the list. This is my second time I am starting to train for triathlon. My ultimate goal is NYC Nautica triathlon next summer (in about 9 months or so) - olympic distance. I am (now) healthy 37 year old with average skin (with some break outs) but the under-eye skin is not what it used to be. I try to swim 3x a week however, I have noticed that my swimming googles are leaving deep marks under my eyes which are visible for hours after the swim. I use hydration cream before and after ( Dermascyne 3 ) which works for me in normal daily life.

However, I am worried that after several weeks of training (months, years) my eye wrinkles will get deeper than they would be if not swimming...

I am not too shallow - I just really don't want to look too weathered I guess

Thanks for any advice!

Martina
    Czech Chicks Rule !

Excellent question. I'm curious about the same thing, as I've just started swimming distances, too, and have the same problem with the goggle ring.

Roxy, who's really hoping the Goggle Ring isn't some kind of tri badge of honor like the Cycling Shorts Tan Line. Ha!
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

I switched to the Aquasphere line of goggles about 8 months ago. I have the Seal, which makes me look a little like a bug, but doesn't interfere with my speed at all and leaves minimal lines around my eyes. Before, I even had bruises around my eyes, and goggles always hurt. Looking at their web site, it appears they also have some lower-profile options, as well as some women-styled options. The seal is starting to go on mine, especially with more vigorous swimming, but they're by far the most comfy pair I've owned...

Not cheap, though. ~$25.

See all the happy-eyed reviewers here.
    Last edited by zia; 10-26-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added more 411

I use the aquasphere's also, they also leave a mark high on my forehead and lower on my eyes. I swim five days a week and always have marks for hours, sometimes even while I am teaching. But, once they go away, well they go away. I have been swimming for a couple of years 5 days a week, and I don't think my eyes have gotten anymore wrinkled than usual (am 39), I do notice the sun wear and tear from cycling though. People sleep facedown for years and years of their lives and that doesn't change their skin.

I must be more of a pigpen than I realized. I swim before work, and go to the office w/goggle marks and sometimes, swim cap lines on my face. My hair is wet from the shower, too. Don't think twice about it.

Aquasphere also, although am trying some new Blue Seventies. I ALWAYS look after swimming as if aliens have been trying to suck my eyes out. It goes away after a few hours. I have yet to figure out how to avoid this but I think it's not any kind of long term effect.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I used the Aquashpere Kaimins for for 2+ years. I'm now trying the TYR Nest goggles; they're a little larger so they move the marks further out from the eye socket. I'm not sure if this is an improvement but I like the goggles.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

salsabike and mickchick
    laughed out loud, yes, definitley sporting the pigpen look, had a work review yesterday where they review me and I actually didn't swim before going so I would look less alien and more human! dry brushed hair, make-up, no lines, and real clothes, not sweats. I believe they suspect that I train more than work, but at least I work with the same amount of drive and concentration that I train with, so I got a good review (also asked for a raise, they'll get back to me on that)

and speaking of marks, my cycling tights leave seam marks up and down my legs and on my ankles for a minimum of 8 hours...and sometimes I forget that- that happens and look down at my legs and wonder what happened to me, spent a week trying to figure out two weird red lines about shorts height when I was sure I had not used shorts in forever (turns out they were from trishorts in a race), bra marks too, or for that matter, napping on my desk marks (spirals on my cheeks from dozing on the notebooks, or weird book binding lines), I can never pretend I wasn't napping, it is too visible.

sorry to hijack this thread, but...

I've been meaning to look for new goggles so this thread's kickstarted my search. I've used the speedo vanquisher for about 5 years, but they don't last, and you need to press them into your eyes for suction otherwise they leak. Sometimes even with massive suction they leak and you really do look like a racoon after a swim.

I'm sick of that, and the price isn't the best so I was doing some research. Anyone here use the Swedish goggles? The "elite" swimmers in our club, aka the lans 1 and 2 people wear them and I always thought they looked goofy with those nose piece strings sticking out, but they do get good reviews.

OK, Syndirelah, based on your review and the glowing site reviews, I bought some barracudas. Will test them tomorrow during the 1.5 hour masters swim and report back!

xox Barracuda

Love the Barracudas! When I first put them on, I was worried they weren't tight enough. Not only were they painless -- I could barely feel them! I swam for 80 minutes without a single leak. At 80 minutes, they were a little painful, so I readjusted. This caused a very small leak for 200 yards, but nothing like my Aquasphere leaks. (Once the seal goes on those, you might as well let the entire pool in.) Readjusted again, and not a single leak or pinch of pain for the remaining 15 minutes of practice. And when I took them off, there were barely any marks on my face!

So, thumbs up! For now. I loved my Aquasheres for the first 2 months, and then the water starting seeping in... THANK YOU for the suggestion!

Hmmm. I'm tempted to try them but my eyes are fairly far apart (I have to get goggles w/different size nose pieces because I need the widest one!). How is the nose piece? How about fogging?

I like Speedo Vanquisher 2.0 but they do hurt after awhile (press on the sinuses).
    Last edited by Selkie; 11-08-2009 at 10:42 AM.

The nose piece is very soft and flexible (not adjustable), but it may not work for you if your eyes are far apart. When I wear adjustable goggles, I usually have them on the narrowest or second-most-narrow setting. These fit me perfectly.

No fogging right now. But I've had that change before! Some forehead pressure after an hour. I'd expect that with almost any goggle. And I only swim more than 1 hour once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Syndirelah View Post
    I HIGHLY recommend Barracuda goggles... the frames and eye piece have a very soft liner and they feel almost invisible when I swim. For me, they never leak. They leave a little bit of a mark, but not nearly as bad as some others that I have tried (speedo vanquishers, TYR, etc).

Goggles are so individual! The Aquaspheres just did not work for me at all.

These are the goggles I use for indoor swimming:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2260.htm

after another workout of leaky and foggy goggles, I broke down and bought a pair of the Barracudas. While I loved the comfort and clarity of the lens, I noticed the racoon eyes were even bigger than the ones left by my speedos! But the fact they don't leak are worth it enough for me to stick with these for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    after another workout of leaky and foggy goggles, I broke down and bought a pair of the Barracudas. While I loved the comfort and clarity of the lens, I noticed the racoon eyes were even bigger than the ones left by my speedos! But the fact they don't leak are worth it enough for me to stick with these for a while.
    Barracuda goggles are the ones I have originally and even though they are bigger around the eyes (and don't leak), I do feel that they are distroying the 'delicate' eye skin and creating more wrinkles.

My friend is really pushing me into the small glasses (he would like me to look cool) but so far I am not giving in to his peer pressure.

Martina
    Czech Chicks Rule !