Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shaula, Hurray for you for doing things to help yourself be more healthy. Keep cycling- it can only be good for you, and maybe you will be even more motivated to eat healthy foods and portions as part of a plan to increase your energy and enjoyment on rides.

I'm not significantly overweight at this time- but over the last year, I've lost 23 pounds with weightwatchers and cycling. I'm only 5'1", so it is a substantial change. I have been very self-conscious about my weight in other settings though, so I can sympathize with you.

I love to eat too, and the only way I can successfully stay on track with cutting back is to visualize that I'm not giving something up, I'm getting something really great by eating smaller portions and cutting out things that aren't so good for me. Over time, I've noticed a greater appreciation of more subtle flavors in fruits, vegies etc.

I don't know what to say to/about the insensitive people... I see people of all shapes and sizes on the well-used cycling route I often ride on weekends and I've never heard an unkind word said to or about anyone's size or shape at the shade ramada where almost everyone breaks for water and a rest stop. Hope that's helpful and encouraging.

I think it's more important to do what makes you feel good about yourself. Right after college, I was at my heaviest, and the following January I started Weight Watchers. It worked well for me and I lost about 30lbs, a big change on my 5'-1" frame. That was all done with changing my eating, with no consistent exercise. But I still wasn't happy with how I looked. Two years ago I bought my road bike and began riding consistently. As I got into cycling, I also started getting into other activities like hiking and kayaking. The more I did, the more confidence I gained to try new things. I've since dropped another 10lbs and am now at the higher end of the "healthy" weight for my height. But I could honestly care less about than than how much better I look and feel. Things have firmed up and my confidence has gotten a much-needed boost. Lately, I got lazy and pretty much stopped doing everything. Though my weight didn't change, my body did, and I wasn't happy. The flab started to creep back and I was angry with myself for letting my hard work go to waste. It's a journey and a battle I'll have to fight my whole life.

I've been on both sides, being derided by even my own family for being overweight, to being sneered at by overweight people who assume I've always been this weight and it comes naturally (the "It must be nice to eat like that and stay skinny" comments. Well, you don't see the measured out meals the rest of the week and the hours of exercise. I've learned to just stop caring what people think (including my family, who tormented me when I was overweight, called me anorexic when I lost weight, mocked me when I started biking, and then went out and bought bikes when they saw me sticking with it), and do whatever brings me joy and peace. I wish you much strength in your journey and hope you find happiness.

You guys are the best! Talk about getting me super motivated (more than I was!!!!). Love the smart a#& comments! I will remember them! Kermit - where in South Georgia do you live? I live in Folkston, Georgia
    Shaula
    2011 Specialized Ruby

Thanks for this thread. It makes me feel so sad when people look at me and wonder how I could be chubby, but ride a bike. Food tastes good, what can I say. Take care of the body God gave you by treating it right and enjoying great things in life.

I always figure that at least I am out there doing it. Of course, I hate getting passed by some skinny *** on the hills, but as long as I don't have to walk or turn back, I am a winner.

Good food is good for you.

I try not to use snarky remarks or comebacks. For some reason, they don't make me feel any better. I just figure it is their problem and not mine. At the LBS, I try to do my research and ask pertinent questions. And I am a loyal customer. It helps.

sarah

This is a little bit different than the issue being discussed-it has more to do with people who have diarhea (sp?) of the mouth- I occasionally hear MEN say to me-"what, you don't dye your hair?" I am 48, but a very young looking 48 and my gray hair has been coming in slowly since I was 30. It's still mostly brunette, but there is a lot of silver. My husband told me he thinks it's sexy, and I actually think it gives my hair more depth. I guess I work around some crass people and they don't know how to control their mouths. I usually just say to them that I won't dye my hair to save the money for good beer!

There isn't a lot you can do about other people's stupidity or insensitivity.

But you can control how you react to their remarks, and what you do about your weight problem.

I too had a weight problem for a long time. The first step is setting up a good diet/exercise program which clearly you have done so good for you.

The second is stacking the deck in favor that your plan will work. So, also get checked out to be sure there aren't medical problems getting in the way. In my case it was a combination of hypothyroidism and impaired glucose tolerance. Once these problems were resolved, my weight 'normalized', i.e. I lost weight eating more calories than during my failed dieting attempts when my underlying medical issues were not being controlled for.

I love food even more now that I am a normal weight, cuz food is no longer the enemy.

Congratulations for adopting a healthy lifestyle! The weight will come off, just don't give up, and don't let other peoples hurtful remarks deter you from your goals.

Hey Shaula. Looks like you are east of me. We built our house in Sparks, Georgia. My husbands family is from there, love it!

Sparks near Valdosta or Macon?
    Shaula
    2011 Specialized Ruby

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    I occasionally hear MEN say to me-"what, you don't dye your hair?" I am 48, but a very young looking 48 and my gray hair has been coming in slowly since I was 30. It's still mostly brunette, but there is a lot of silver. My husband told me he thinks it's sexy, and I actually think it gives my hair more depth. I guess I work around some crass people and they don't know how to control their mouths. I usually just say to them that I won't dye my hair to save the money for good beer!
    Yay for your hubby and your grey hair!
    Or another response: "I'm saving money instead for a better/2nd/3rd/4th bike" or something similar. Of course the guys might be suitably impressed if you had multiple bikes. Redirects their attention somewhere else.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Sparks north of valdosta, just south of Tifton, 1 mile off of 75. Have you looked into any riding clubs? My husband joined the azelia city cyclists. They have alot of group rides and just had a really nicely supported century ride.

Another related/unrelated situation:
    When I'm out and about (in my professional capacity) with a kid with a disability, I've had people make stupid comments from "What's wrong with him?" to "Can't you stop that?" (usually the kid's screaming), to "What does he have?"

I'm usually somewhere between dumbstruck and ignoring, but I did quickly respond to "What does he have?" by saying "He has a red hat."

That is the dumbest thing I've heard... the stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.
    I once had a daycare worker at my gym ask me if my kids had different fathers, because at that time they looked quite different, one blonde, one very dark. I replied, "Gee, no, I would have had to work pretty fast for that, since they are only 2.5 years apart."
    As far as the weight comments, just keep riding. You are probably a better rider than a lot of people. I've been dropped by a lot of riders, who didn't fit the stereotypical mold of what some people think a good rider looks like.

My daughter has twins, boy/girl/ People always ask her if they are identical. Well, duh

Quote Originally Posted by Sadie View Post
    My daughter has twins, boy/girl/ People always ask her if they are identical. Well, duh
    lmao That's funny

My daughter and niece are six months apart. My dd is very slim and tall, whereas her cousin is shorter and stockier but has a full set of teeth and more mature looking face (at the time) compared to my dd. I'd put them in a side by side double stroller and people would say every day "cute twins!" Once I had only my daughter in the stroller and someone said "Awww what cute twins" double vision?? lol People are crazy and say the weirdest things.