Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Trek 5200/5500 to Cervelo Advice?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm currently riding an older Trek 5500 (this was an early Lance bike). I am thinking of purchasing a new Cervelo R3 or RS. My current setup on the 52 cm Trek has the bars about 5-6 cm below the seat level. The stem has no rise (i.e., flat) and has about 3 cm of spacers between the top of the headset and base of the stem. The Trek head tube is 10 cm on the Trek. I'm curious if there are any of you out there who have had a Trek 5500 or 5200 and now have a Cervelo R3 or RS : HOW DOES THE FIT AND PERFORMANCE DIFFER??. This would help me a lot on my decision between the Cervelo R3 and RS , since I cannot be fit or test ride a new Cervelo where I live. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Yikes...I'm not sure I'd drop that kind of money, if I could not be fitted or test ride the bike first. Just out of curiosity, why are you not able to get fit or test ride the Cervelo? Are you purchasing the bike sight unseen...like online or something? I ride a Cervelo Soloist Carbon (51cm)...but I can't really give any advice that you're looking for. I came off of a Trek 2100 WSD that was too big for me (54cm), so simply getting a smaller frame helped a lot of my issues. I still need to raise my bars a few cm's, because when I bought the bike I was fitted in a fairly aggressive riding position (had done a few triathlons and was planning on doing a few more)...but after a full season of riding in that aggressive position, it's taken a toll on my lower back, hands, & wrists. I need to "relax" the position a bit more and take some pressure off my hands & wrists. I'm currently riding with a zero rise stem, too...and I think that is the problem. I'm probably going to swap the stem out for something more adjustable.

I went from a 52 cm Trek 5500 to a 51 cm Cervelo R3 with no problems. I can't find a geometry chart for the older Trek so it's hard to compare. All of my bikes are set up the same and my boyfriend was able to match the fit on my R3 to the fit I had on my Trek.

I hope that helps. For what it's worth, I don't think you will be disappointed with the R3. I love, love, love mine.

Thanks for the answers so far. I can't test ride the bike since I live on Maui. I may go to the mainland to do it, but that really adds a lot to the cost of the bike. However, I ordered my Trek 5500 without doing a test ride and it was an expensive bike at the time ... it was fine. It fits fairly well (seat tube angle a bit large so I have to push my seat all the way back) and I'm learning how to compare most frame measurements, etc. What I was looking for was someone who has ridden both a Trek 5200/5500 and now owns a Cervelo. It seems Brandy has done just that with no problems. My main concern was the need for a higher head tube (between the Cervelo R3 and the RS). It seems the R3 with the smaller head tube would probably be fine for me since I'm riding a bike with my handlebars relatively lower than my seat and the Cervelo R3 has a 12 cm head tube and the Trek has a 10 cm head tube, so I will actually have a higher head tube on the Cervelo R3. The RS is supposed to have a more relaxed position with an even higher head tube, which I'm not sure I need, hence this message to you. I ride my bike for exercise several times a week, participate in centuries when I can, and I rode my Trek with a race oriented geometry across the USA this past spring without any problems. Anyone else have an opinion of which one would I would like best: the Cervelo R3 or RS? Thanks so much for your opinions.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Oh, the sacrifices you make to live on Maui!!

I'm sure you'll end up with a fabulous bike regardless.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to go to Kona or Honolulu? There are Cervelo dealers in Kona and Honolulu. I don't know what the air fare would be but that would seem to be a cheaper option.

Whom do you intend on buying the bike from? You're probably going to lay down some serious coin so you want to make sure you get a bike that fits. Competitive Cyclist has the a demo program but I don't know if they'd ship the bike to Maui.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...EMO_ABOUT_HOME

For $300 they ship you the bike and you get to test ride it for 7 days. They'll credit you the $300 towards the purchase of a new bike. You may want to contact them and see if they'd ship it to Maui.

I don't own either but I would probably go with the R3. And when they cut the steerer tube leave some extra room in case you need to raise the bars higher. Once you have it dialed in you can have them chop off what you don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by mauisher View Post
    Thanks for the answers so far. I can't test ride the bike since I live on Maui. I may go to the mainland to do it, but that really adds a lot to the cost of the bike. However, I ordered my Trek 5500 without doing a test ride and it was an expensive bike at the time ... it was fine. It fits fairly well (seat tube angle a bit large so I have to push my seat all the way back) and I'm learning how to compare most frame measurements, etc. What I was looking for was someone who has ridden both a Trek 5200/5500 and now owns a Cervelo. It seems Brandy has done just that with no problems. My main concern was the need for a higher head tube (between the Cervelo R3 and the RS). It seems the R3 with the smaller head tube would probably be fine for me since I'm riding a bike with my handlebars relatively lower than my seat and the Cervelo R3 has a 12 cm head tube and the Trek has a 10 cm head tube, so I will actually have a higher head tube on the Cervelo R3. The RS is supposed to have a more relaxed position with an even higher head tube, which I'm not sure I need, hence this message to you. I ride my bike for exercise several times a week, participate in centuries when I can, and I rode my Trek with a race oriented geometry across the USA this past spring without any problems. Anyone else have an opinion of which one would I would like best: the Cervelo R3 or RS? Thanks so much for your opinions.
    If you have no back problems and you're comfortable with more of a race geometry, I'd go with the R3. I'll ask the boyfriend to chime in here, he's more knowledgable on the technical fitting aspects than I am. He also happens to work for a major Cervelo dealer and can steer you better toward the RS or R3.

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    I ride a Cervelo Soloist Carbon (51cm)...but I can't really give any advice that you're looking for. I came off of a Trek 2100 WSD that was too big for me (54cm), so simply getting a smaller frame helped a lot of my issues. .
    I went from a 54cm Trek 1000 WSD and moved to a 52cm Trek 5500 originally. What's funny is that when we were comparing measurements, they were pretty darn close. Where did the 54 WSD feel too big? Cervelo's (IMO) feel smaller because of the sloping top tube. All of my other bikes feel big compared to my R3. Just my opinion and glad you're on the right bike now!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    I went from a 54cm Trek 1000 WSD and moved to a 52cm Trek 5500 originally. What's funny is that when we were comparing measurements, they were pretty darn close. Where did the 54 WSD feel too big? Cervelo's (IMO) feel smaller because of the sloping top tube. All of my other bikes feel big compared to my R3. Just my opinion and glad you're on the right bike now!
    I always felt very stretched out...and my saddle was as far forward as possible. I also experienced a bunch of pain issues on the Trek...mainly lower back and hand pain. When I took the bike to a certified fitter, he took one look at me on the bike and said the frame was just too big for me. He said he could try to shorten up the cockpit for a better fit, but it would sacrifice the handling of the bike. Ultimately, he recommended going with a smaller frame. I do feel much better on the 51 Cervelo...it's not 100% perfect yet...but I'm working on that. I need to get a stem with more rise to bring my handlebars up and closer to me. I was originally fit on this bike in a very aggressive riding position, and over the course of the season riding in that position, I feel it is just not for me. I need a bit more of an upright and relaxed position.

I'm currently riding an older Trek 5500 (this was an early Lance bike). I am thinking of purchasing a new Cervelo R3 or RS. My current setup on the 52 cm Trek has the bars about 5-6 cm below the seat level. The stem has no rise (i.e., flat) and has about 3 cm of spacers between the top of the headset and base of the stem. The Trek head tube is 10 cm on the Trek. I'm curious if there are any of you out there who have had a Trek 5500 or 5200 and now have a Cervelo R3 or RS : HOW DOES THE FIT AND PERFORMANCE DIFFER??. This would help me a lot on my decision between the Cervelo R3 and RS , since I cannot be fit or test ride a new Cervelo where I live. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
    mauisher-- First off I would like to tell you that it's nice to see that the Cervelo R3 and RS are on your short list. Whichever bike you choose you will a great bike.

Ok there are a couple of things that I'd like to address.

Number 1- You say that that Trek has a 100mm Head Tube and the R3 has a 120mm. Those are true statements however your Trek should have a non-integrated headset (if you can see the manufacturer of the headset it is non integrated) and that will add 20mm so the headtubes would be the same.

Number 2-- If you are riding your Trek with 30mm of spacers than you really should be looking at the RS which has a 140mm. Then your set up would only have the headset cap and maybe 10mm spacer and then your stem.

The frame on the RS is more comfortable (ride quality) than the R3. Both the R3 and the RS will be significantly stiffer than your Trek which has very old technology. You may not ever flex your Trek but you'll definitely notice the stiffness in the Cervelos the first and every time you ride them. And even with all the bottom bracket stiffness they ride like buttah.

I own four Cervelos (Soloist Carbon, Soloist Carbon SL, R3SL, and a P3). I find them to be the best riding bikes I have ever owned. Our store sells Colnagos, Pinarellos, and six other brands of road bikes and I don't lust for any of them.

Hi again. Thanks for all of your replies, especially pointing out the differences between the integrated (Cervelo) vs. non-integrated (my Trek) headsets and how this would affect the bar height. I don't believe Competitive Cyclist will ship to Hawaii. The shops in Hawaii have limited selections.

So, now I'm considering a trip to the US mainland to try to ride both a Cervelo R3 or RS in a 51 cm size.

Do any of you know of any bike shops in So. Calif. that might have a Cervelo R3 or RS in a size 51 cm?? Thanks so much (again)

Hi again. Thanks for all of your replies, especially pointing out the differences between the integrated (Cervelo) vs. non-integrated (my Trek) headsets and how this would affect the bar height. I don't believe Competitive Cyclist will ship to Hawaii. The shops in Hawaii have limited selections.

So, now I'm considering a trip to the US mainland to try to ride both a Cervelo R3 or RS in a 51 cm size.

Do any of you know of any bike shops in So. Calif. that might have a Cervelo R3 or RS in a size 51 cm?? Thanks so much (again)
    I'd send Vireo a PM on that... his shop carries Cervelo and if they don't have a 51, he'll probably know where you can find one to ride

Trac' is right. George works for Nytro in Encinitas, CA and has sold hundreds of Cervelo's in the past few years. They have a Fly 'n Ride program which may help offset the cost of your trip.

http://www.nytro.com/Info/fly_n_ride.cfm

Fly 'N Ride Our Fly 'N Ride in Paradise program is the most popular incentive we offer.
    Fly to beautiful San Diego and have our expert staff set you up on your dream machine. Test ride the most extensive range of triathlon and road bikes in the USA along the beautiful Pacific Coast Highway and truly compare before you buy.

Purchase a bike and we will put you up for a night at the hotel Villa Mar next to the shop! Best of all, if we ship your bike to you outside of CA, there is no sales tax, which just might pay for your plane ticket!
    For questions about Fly 'N Ride call 800.697.8007 or 760.632.0006 (outside of the U.S.).
    You can also email info@nytro.com

Fly 'N Save
    Fly in & buy any bike over $4500 & we pay up to $300 of your airfare. Only one airline ticket per customer, must present ticket to receive discount.

Thanks for the tip on Nytro bike shop. Any others out there you'd suggest??