Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Riding in the Oak Ridge/Knoxville, TN area?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'll be moving to Oak Ridge, TN for the fall and I'm wondering if anyone out there on the boards is from that area or familiar with riding in it. Do you have any suggestions for good rides? Mtb or road?

Thanks!

We have some great cycle clubs in the area, check out www.smwbike.org for a start. Hope you like mountains !!

Thanks!

Thanks so much for pointing me to the SMW site! Do you ride with them?

I ride with them some... I do the Cherohala Challenge,their fall century, and maybe a few group rides. It's a good group. You'll probably be able to find another group closer to Oak Ridge, if that's where you plan on living. But, if you are like me, you always keep an eye out on the other clubs in the area as well. There are times when we see riders come up from Chattanooga just for a group ride, especially if we are doing one of the more challenging mountain routes. You'll have to check out the Cherohala Skyway (TN 165 and NC 143) which is 40 plus miles of 9% grades from Robbinsville NC to Tellico Plains TN. I live on the road, so.... I don't have much choice but to like to climb. The compact cranks are popular around here. I ride the FSA Carbon Pro 34/50 and a Dura Ace 10 (12-27) which makes for a powerful climber without the weight and the "clunk" of a triple.

Wow, thanks!

I like to climb, but I have to admit the the extent of my climbing is usually limited to a rolling hill here or there. In central/eastern Texas, it's pretty flat! I'll be living in Oak Ridge for the fall semester, doing research at ORNL, but I'm looking forward to riding in the mountians...double chain rings and all.